Thread: Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Default Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada

It was time to make my annual visit to the Dr. in Salt Lake City the vascular surgeon for a check of my carotid artery following my stroke of a couple years ago. So the plan was to leave the camper in Kingman and make the 500 mile drive up to Salt Lake, so I decided since I pretty much had to drive right by Valley of Fire to break the trip up into 2 segments and stop at Valley of Fire and check out a new trail to a section I have been wanting to see. They call it the "Fire Wave" and it resembles the rock coloring in the "Wave" in Arizona another place I want to visit. So my plan was up early and drive to Valley of Fire and spend a couple mid-day hours hiking and taking some pics, then move on towards Salt Lake and spend the night at about the half way point in St. George, Utah.

So up early and awoke to a wonderful sunrise!

Then off on the trail to the "Fire Wave"

Creative Trail Marker - little did I know I would feel like this on the return hike!

At the "Fire Wave"

The rock coloration is amazing and worth the .6 mile hike one way to see it. Although I would like to meet the park Ranger that measures these trails, seems further to me!!

Enjoy,

Jim

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default Re: Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada

Well done, Jim! Excellent color. Outstanding pictures of unusual geology What more can you ask? Much more colorful than Valley of Fires in New Mexico. Do you know why the layers are differently colored? I can see different winds blowing in different colored sand, but not like that.

halfwright

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Default Re: Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
    Well done, Jim! Excellent color. Outstanding pictures of unusual geology What more can you ask? Much more colorful than Valley of Fires in New Mexico. Do you know why the layers are differently colored? I can see different winds blowing in different colored sand, but not like that.
    It is my understanding that it is iron content when it was formed under great heat, like swirling syrup in to melted ice cream....there are several areas in the SW that have formations like this and it is amazing....this was a typical very bright, shocking blue sky and deep shadows...I really want to go here and be at this spot in the evening glow.....

Hope all is well

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here