Thread: Issues with Posting to the Forum Today

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Issues with Posting to the Forum Today

Anyone else having issues with formatting posts today? None of my usual commands work. For example, even something as basic as the /enter/ command does not work, so I cannot place line breaks in the text. Also, the attachment uploader will not load a thumbnail link from my webpage. That's why my sig is on the same line on this post. No settings were changed in my machine. The issue is in the general forum as well as in the photos forum Leigh/zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Default Re: Issues with Posting to the Forum Today

Did you upgrade to IE 10 ?

There have been a number of bugs reported.

I'm on IE 9 and had no trouble posting today...

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yes on IE10 now for a week, and first post since I was away last week. This is the only site with issues, though. I can make it work by clicking the first icon in the quick reply table to "switch to source mode" (whatever the fark that means), and the enter bar works, but then I get an html link to the photo instead of the photo being in-lined in that mode. So, I then have to switch back to post the photo to something called 'editor mode', I think that's the user-friendly (not) title. Anyway, not working, nor able to upload thumbnails. Leigh/zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

Quote Originally Posted by zippski View Post
    Yes on IE10 now for a week, and first post since I was away last week. This is the only site with issues, though. I can make it work by clicking the first icon in the quick reply table to "switch to source mode" (whatever the fark that means), and the enter bar works, but then I get an html link to the photo instead of the photo being in-lined in that mode. So, I then have to switch back to post the photo to something called 'editor mode', I think that's the user-friendly (not) title. Anyway, not working, nor able to upload thumbnails. Leigh/zippski
    Using IE10 under W8 I can't post at all, every time I try it asks for credentials again.

However, Chrome is working flawlessly.
    Cameras: E-M1 Mk1
    Lenses: Oly 12-40 PRO / Oly 60 Macro / Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro / 50-200 SWD
    Converters: EX-25
    Flashes: FL-50

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Test post with IE 10, darn auto update

Same issues as you Leigh, can't start a new sentence.

Ahhh, seems when you have One complete sentence typed in the "enter/up/down" buttons work again..

Regular reply box is dinky, ie., less than half the page wide and won't allow for resizing in length. Going "Advanced" is full width and allows resizing.

Now this is "interesting", he, he...

"Manage Attachments" works normally until I click "Select Files" > "My Pictures".

The first fifteen sub files/folders are not shown. If I type in the file name I want to open, it opens and I am able to select an image from it to upload.

Attachment 45653

Gotta love this compfuzer stuff.

And one last thing. Clicking on ABC/spell check results in nadda but misspelled words are underlined with red in the body of the message.. ieSpell is available with a right click.

The word "ieSpell" is underlined in red

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

One other observation.

It seems "the second" time is the charm.

This Quick Reply box is the correct size. I can resize it in length.

The first time I opened my image in the above post, it opened all by its lonesome, the second time it opened in the normal bordered preview box thingee....

But the "Manage Attachments" is the same with not showing all available items.

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The biggest issue is that I can't upload any thumbnails to post with a photo on the photo site. And, up/down keys are not working here to create a line break. Leigh/zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Angry Re: Issues with Posting to the Forum Today

Rule number one: never, ever, under any circumstances, no matter what, upgrade to a new major version of IE when it first comes out. (If you can avoid using IE at all, then that's even better, but not always feasible in some corporate environments.)

New major versions of IE always violate "embrace and extend" web standards in new and "interesting" ways, and it always takes a little while for the world's web designers to figure out how to code around the new version's breakage.

This wasn't a huge problem before IE 4.x, as IE 1.x through 3.x were unusable, anyway.... But,

• IE 5.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 4.x
    • IE 6.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 5.x
    • IE 7.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 6.x
    • IE 8.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 7.x
    • IE 9.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 8.x
    • and now ...
    • IE 10.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 9.x

Anyone seeing a pattern, here?
    Cameras: Yes.
    Lenses: Yes.
    Lighting: Sometimes, depending upon needs.
    Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

CrayonPhotos.com ... pictures that draw you in.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Like me on Facebook.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    Rule number one: never, ever, under any circumstances, no matter what, upgrade to a new major version of IE when it first comes out. (If you can avoid using IE at all, then that's even better, but not always feasible in some corporate environments.)

New major versions of IE always violate "embrace and extend" web standards in new and "interesting" ways, and it always takes a little while for the world's web designers to figure out how to code around the new version's breakage.

This wasn't a huge problem before IE 4.x, as IE 1.x through 3.x were unusable, anyway.... But,

• IE 5.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 4.x
    • IE 6.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 5.x
    • IE 7.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 6.x
    • IE 8.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 7.x
    • IE 9.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 8.x
    • and now ...
    • IE 10.x broke almost every web site that had been coded to work OK with IE 9.x

Anyone seeing a pattern, here?
    Ummm, interesting. But I have IE9 and have none of the problems on this or any website either on my Vista machine or my Win 7 machine.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that we have seen your threads about problems with IE10. We will do some investigation to see whether there is anything being reported about vBulletin and IE10. In the meantime, I would suggest that you use an alternate browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Regards,
    Emily

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I design quite a few websites, and in my old age I just refuse to guarantee the websites will work correctly in Internet Explorer browsers. If someone insists they must work in IE, I tell them the price just doubled for the website design because I am fairly certain it probably won't work in the next version of IE.

I can't understand why the IE designers can't comply with the W3C standards. I don't know if it is because they are stubborn or ignorant.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've done some research and it is a known issue with vBulletin and IE10. Unfortunately at this time there is no official fix and there are no dates for the release of a fix. We will keep you posted with any updates and there is an un-official fix that we may try and apply if we can't find any other workaround.

I have to agree with Lawrence, IE is the worst browser to code for.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Well, unfortunately, that means limited posting and no photo uploads for me to the photo forum, since they will not work under IE10. Firefox and especially Chrome are absolute no-goes here at work due to security/compatibility issues. Leigh/zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score

zippski - Can you please test posting on IE10 for us? We have applied the unofficial patch to try and fix the problem.

Regards,
    ​Emily

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    zippski - Can you please test posting on IE10 for us? We have applied the unofficial patch to try and fix the problem.

Regards,
    ​Emily
    Works much better for me under IE10. My issue was different, it would never remember my password so every time I tried to reply it would ask to re-authenticate. No issue with that now.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Sorry, it's not working for me. Posts still do not respond to the enter and other command keys, and I still can't upload thumbnails. This is the only forum site (of several that I am on) where I am apparently having IE10 issues. Perhaps it is a code related to my super supporter status? Leigh/zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A couple of other notes: 1) I have my editor set to full WYSIWYG mode, and 2) I am using the enhanced attachments option for thumbnails. Everything else is set to default. I don't think either of those two settings impacts the compatibility issue, but who knows. Leigh/zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

FYI - I am having problems with another Canadian Photo forum that is using Vbulletin but the issues here are much less

Enter/up/down now work the first time and this is a test pic..

Attachment 45662

Still the same issue with having to search for the folder to upload from. But I also get that behavior on two other Vbulletin forums.

On yet another Vbulletin forum clicking on "Go to first new post" takes me to the first post instead of the latest and I've stopped getting notifications of new activity on posts I've subscribed to and/or posted on.

I am amused

EDIT TEST - What I don't care for is the dinky smilies, he, he..

Also, in the past it was a 50/50 chance that an edit would go through without having to refresh the page and start over, apparently this one worked the first time

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Well, unknown to me, a couple of days ago Microsoft did an automatic Windows update on my wife computer. She started having problems with web access on most of her web sites, including her job site. (She works from home.) It took me hours trying to figure out what was wrong with the internet, and then Bingo! I discovered that the IE version was now 10 instead of 9. Microsoft had done a bowser update to IE10 for Win7 with the windows update!!! Rolled the browser back to IE 9 and Voila!!! everything works fine now. I have never had a problem using the latest IE on all three of my computers, but something is definitely wrong with IE 10!!!!!!!
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Same thing here, automatic update.

Although I enjoy this compfuzer stuff I just deleted the update and I'm back to IE 9

Cheers, Don

BTW - to do this open "Programs and Features" from the Control Panel.

In the upper left click on "View installed updates".

Find IE 10 in the list, click once to highlight and at the top click on "uninstall".

You will need to restart and you will need to log on to all your favorites again
    Last edited by Don Kondra; 04-03-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    Product Photography

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    Same thing here, automatic update. Although I enjoy this compfuzer stuff I just deleted the update and I'm back to IE 9 Cheers, Don BTW - to do this open "Programs and Features" from the Control Panel. In the upper left click on "View installed updates". Find IE 10 in the list, click once to highlight and at the top click on "uninstall". You will need to restart and you will need to log on to all your favorites again
    Hi Don: Thanks for the information. Yep, that is exactly what I had finally done to get back IE 9 on my wife's computer, and I also discontinued the auto update. The whole thing was weird, as I had run all kinds of diagnostics and everything showed that the computer was top notch, no virus, no hard drive problems, good internet connections, etc. But yet, none of the web sites would open. It was driving me crazy. And then I checked for the list of installed updates, and there it was. MS had just done an update and put in IE10. I had heard about some bugs with it, and had not updated from IE9, as I normally wait for a while to update browsers to give time for the bugs to get corrected. But I had never had this experience before with IE.

On my laptop, I run IE 9, Firefox, and Chrome. I'm constantly having periodic problems with Firefox, but never with IE or Chrome. LOL
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

After further "reading" it has been suggested that update KB 2670838 should be deleted, that will also automatically delete IE 10.

Cheers, Don

EDIT >

I originally deleted only IE 10 and now I went back and also deleted KB2670838, the world did not come to an end
    Product Photography

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    I design quite a few websites, and in my old age I just refuse to guarantee the websites will work correctly in Internet Explorer browsers. If someone insists they must work in IE, I tell them the price just doubled for the website design because I am fairly certain it probably won't work in the next version of IE.

I can't understand why the IE designers can't comply with the W3C standards. I don't know if it is because they are stubborn or ignorant.
    Because integration with the OS and technologies they rely on like ActiveX, .NET, and Silverlight wouldn't be so snazzy. Sometimes the problems with standards is they're as confining as they are liberating.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    After further "reading" it has been suggested that update KB 2670838 should be deleted, that will also automatically delete IE 10.

Cheers, Don

EDIT >

I originally deleted only IE 10 and now I went back and also deleted KB2670838, the world did not come to an end

EDIT > Don't believe everything you read on the internet, after deleting that file I couldn't access my external hard drive or run DXO Optics Pro.

Reinstalled and back to normal..
    Product Photography