Thread: Olympus Viewer 3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Olympus Viewer 3

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs in this post, but .....you know...IE10 and all that stuff........ Anyway, has anyone else tried to download and use the new Viewer 3 program? I have been trying it out for a few days now (download is now available from the Oly USA site). All I can say is that I am glad that I have not deleted Viewer 2. The new program works great (speedy, lots of new editing commands) - except for the very important "export" command in the RAW development window. Here is a case of change for the sake of change that really does NOT work. At all. I have tried everything I can think of to simply "save" my RAWs as jpgs one at a time as I develop them (just like I currently do in Viewer 2) and then applying the setting to the next RAW with the little thumbnail command. Using the new "export" command is complete nightmare. When you hit "export", the RAW you are developing continually overwrites all the previous exported RAWs/jpgs and renames the files, whether not you have any other photo thumbnails checked or unchecked in the menu development bar. If I have changed the RAW settings, the previous jpgs will then have those new settings applied, which means they are now incorrect. I have to exit out of the RAW window and restart the RAW screen for each photo, even if I have manually checked/unchecked all the previous photos in the menu bar. Worse, even if I have unchecked them, when I export to the folder, most times I end up facing a box that pops up offering me with a choice of either "cannot export/file already exists/rename" and/or a newly renamed multiple jpg file. What pops up is seemingly random. There is no information in the downloaded manual about settings for this issue, and after checking the renaming option in an attempt to get the file to export, the file renaming options in the export command box have now also seemingly disappeared from the options box, so I have no way to get back to the "non-renaming" option. Like I said, is it really so hard to have a simple "save" command you can hit once you are finished developing an individual RAW? I can only hope this is the beta version, because Viewer 3, quite frankly, REALLY s*cks the way it is set up to currently function, to the point where it is completely unusable to develop RAWs. Leigh/zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Default Re: Olympus Viewer 3

Darn you Leigh,

I had to download it

First impressions are I miss the "save" command too...

But I like there is now a "white" skin, he, he...

Hope to have more time later to play around.

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800/D500
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    Birds and other stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Which flavor OS are you using? I am using a MacOS X. I downloaded V3 and imported one ORF file. Use the RAW sliders plus looked at advance. Once done hit the export button as you cannot change the ORF file but export it to jpg and different flavors of tiff. In the Options (like Preferences) you can tell it where to save or in Export you can change it from the default in Options.

Then you external editor (your choice) can manipulate the file further as Viewer and Lightroom do not use layers so Photoshop or whatever that does layers can work on it.

Ciao,
    ​Lou Cioccio

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Lou, that really isn't any different than Viewer 2,

I "think" what Leigh is saying is that when you are editing multiple files in the raw development pane, one by one, you can't name/rename the second, third, etc. images.

It reverts to the file naming rule on the second image.

In other words, when you edit and "export" the first raw file you have a choice to rename it. Then you move on to click on the next thumbnail in the raw development window to edit the second raw file and when you "export" that second image, a pop up box with the "file naming rule" appears. When you set your rules and export that image, it applies the file naming rule to the first image also, creating another file in addition to the first one you renamed when exporting the first time

When you try to export the third image you are told another image already has that name.... I didn't bother renaming it (bottom right) but the raw thumbnail in the browse pain still was altered.

Attachment 45674

I may be missing a setting somewhere - the raw thumbnail in the browse pane changes to the edited jpeg version. In other words if you have cropped the image in editing, when you go back to the browse view, both the raw and jpeg thumbnails show the cropped/edited version. To see the original raw you need to right click and choose "revert to original".

BTW - I still haven't found the button to apply previous editing settings to the next image

Cheers for now, Don
    Product Photography
    Birds and other stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Don, that's because there no longer *is* a button to apply the previous settings to the new RAW. That's asinine. Lou, it will work just fine with *one* RAW file. It's when you have more than one file that is becomes an issue. Line up three or four RAWs in a folder. Develop the first one. It "exports" to the folder just fine when you develop it. Then, as Don says, you have no way of applying your settings to the next RAW, other than by creating a special file and "naming" the settings to identify the conversion settings that you just used. You can then migrate to the next RAW, and click on the settings file you have created to develop that RAW . Unfortunately, it then develops that one, as well as the previous RAW - yes, both files get converted. The, when you try to "export" those to the folder as jpgs, you get a random message that pops up that either says "a file already exists with this same name - choose another directory", or it sometimes develops, and you get multiple jpgs of the same RAW file(s), but both re-named with another suffix in the body. That is just plain ridiculous. Why get rid of the "save" command - that was super-intuitive, this is not at all. BTW, putting check marks in the line of files up top seems to have no bearing whatsoever on what gets developed (or not developed, as the case may be). Leigh/zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

I downloaded and installed it as well and see what you're referring to Leigh, it is rather asinine. It should only convert those that are checked when you do the Export function, not all of them, regardless of the renaming issues.

I'm going to play and dig some more. The big thing for me is the speed. I'll make it work.
    Cameras: E-M1 Mk1
    Lenses: Oly 12-40 PRO / Oly 60 Macro / Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro / 50-200 SWD
    Converters: EX-25
    Flashes: FL-50

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-06 at 8.19.21 PM.png 
Views:	1228 
Size:	673.7 KB 
ID:	45676

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-06 at 8.19.53 PM.png 
Views:	392 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	45677

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-06 at 8.20.08 PM.png 
Views:	387 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	45678

I think I found it going to try it now. It was burried look at button on right side advance.

​Lou Cioccio

It worked. At the end I had to tell it where to save the tiffs but Photoshop did not open. I normally just use Photoshop and Bridge for all my work.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

That's the import command menu for importing from a camera, Lou. The issue is not whether or not photoshop opens automatically when you develop a RAW. You can set "registered applications" in the Tools menu to "off", and photoshop/bridge etc. will not open. That command works identically to Viewer 2. The inability to separately develop single RAWs is still an issue. BTW, where exactly did you find that renaming command. It has gone completely missing on my software. Leigh/zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Import then whatever folder select an image;in that screen with the images look at the right side bar a button Advance Settings also a check box to the left to create a sub folder. Its basically similar to what I do from my raws to have a subfolder called edits where my psd files will reside. The advance settings shows up again when you are exporting.

Hope that helps.

Ciao,
    ​Lou Cioccio

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

That does appear to work Lou but it sure is silly (and an extra step) to have to import them before you can edit and save them one by one....

I'll stick with Studio

Cheers, Don
    Product Photography
    Birds and other stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I really never got into using studio, master or viewer about several years ago I was asked to teach Elements as I had been using Photoshop this was back in Adobe Elements 4. With full version Photoshop (I think 6) I was using Bridge. With the Mac version of Elements 4 it also used Bridge but had another member of our club do the Organizer part. Later I dropped Organizer explaining Elements is what you came for; a prerequisite was you must know your OS and where files are stored. I set a day before class for those who are clueless. In fact in one my fall class the a participant came in exasperated that she loaded her images but did not know where they went. I asked did Elements/Organizer come up and she said no then I figured windows took control. I told her to navigate to Libraries and it will be in the Picture folder. I asked her if October 15 was there. She opened it and her images were there.
    I tell the computer is not a shoebox of negatives you must organize and zero is a number. I am sure you are familiar with the drill. So now I spend the first half of the first session on simple ways to organize and make backups, backups and did I say backups.

One of my pet peeves is that I think software programmers never picked up a camera and used it and then actually used their software and see what the workflow would be like.

Ciao,
    ​Lou Cioccio

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I gave up on Viewer many years ago. Olympus makes great cameras, but I think they should hire a software developed company to rewrite the Viewer software.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    I gave up on Viewer many years ago. Olympus makes great cameras, but I think they should hire a software developed company to rewrite the Viewer software.
    I don't think camera manufacturers should bother with raw development software at all. Every single offering from all the manufacturers is pathetic. Standardize on an industry-wide DNG format and leave it to Adobe or whoever. Then take those resources and put it into writing Better firmware with a totally customizable mode that lets all settings to be entered from a tethered computer and save to HD as well. Let people right and share setup files that acn be downloaded and shared. Oly is pretty good, but it could be even more flexible.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I am usually not one to think that complaining to the company by a single user (or multiple users) has any effect whatsoever, but I am so ticked off by the sheer user-unfriendly crappiness of Viewer 3 as RAW developer, that I might make an exception. I'm just not sure *where* I send my complaint...

After they finally got Viewer 2 working correctly (at only version "43", no less), how hard can it be to build on that success?

Leigh
    zippski