Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want my cake and able to eat it too.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Tarhet Market & price of a new Pro E-x

I longed for an E-30 when they first came out but never got one, kept my E-520. I now have the E-M5 and just got the adapter for my 50-200 and love how sharp the pictures look, but hate the AF. I will learn to use that lens by manual focus, but, I now long for an E-X or E-XX. I'd be happy with either if they're affordable and trust Olympus to do a great job with whatever it is. Sure hope they do something soon. Oh, I will probably sell this new E-M5 also if they gitter done. Then I'll buy a 12-60 swd to go with my other swd and be happy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Tarhet Market & price of a new Pro E-x

I wished I had watched the thread each evening to reply accordingly. Interesting points of views. Just a couple of comments

I fully agree with Riley's post about this discussing these matters civilly!!!!

Don Kondra, Don Baldwinso, tomsi42 - as beautiful as Saskatoon, Auckland, Norway are - I'm not sure I would move to any of these places just to have the availability of the OMD. But like Clint you are pretty blessed to have those resources nearby and live in such places!!!! It is nice to know that Olympus has not forsaken everyone to internet sales order.

Dave (SO CAL), I had checked with Samy's and the OMD was not available, thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure you will see some sort of replacement for the E-5 this year since Olympus's last announcement, for if not, then they surely will find a lot more people that see the glass as half empty or gone entirely.
    Clint
    OM-D EM-1 | 7-14mm | 12-40mm | 12-60mm | 35-100mm | 50-200mm | 100-400mm | 12mm | 25mm f/1.4 | 45mm f/1.8 | 75mm f/1.8 | FL-600R | FL-50R |

Shooting since 1964

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: I want my cake and able to eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    "I really want my cake and be able to eat it too! Since I can't find the gear ... I will hang onto my money and wait and see what transpires this year?"
    Yup!
    REMINDS ME of an old country western song....

Theme for the song.... Two cowboys in an old ford sedan on a double date:

Kate is in the front seat with Buster
    Edith is in the back seat with Billy
    The old ford is rolling down the road
    Buster, with Kate snuggled up to his shoulder, keeps eying Edith in the rear view mirror in the back seat.
    Billy notices.

Billy belts out, "Hey Mister, You Can't Have Your Kate, and Edith Too!!!"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Grrrrrooooannnnn!!
    Please make allowances. These were Cowboys from the wild and wooly state of Montana. USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Clint, I have both the E-M5 and the D800E. I really really like shooting with the OM-D, it's so easy to carry, and the image quality is just amazing for that sensor, plus I like having the extra DOR that the 4/3 format provides (I generally am going for deep DOF, BUT, I am using the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 on the D800E, and there just is no m4/3 zoom that comes anywhere remotely close to its quality. I always have had to deal with fixing chromatic aberration and frequent purple fringing with the m4/3 lenses, I don't even bother to look for it with the Nikon, while its pretty noticable in all the kit zooms and even the Panasonic fixed aperture zoom. Admittedly, the Nikon lens is a lot more expensive than even the Panasonic fixed aperture zoom, but the point is, that if you are looking for top optical quality in m4/3, you are pretty much limited to the normal and tele range primes (I am not that impressed by the performance of the wide angle primes, even). Maybe the rumored Oly higher end m4/3 zoom will be a game-changer, who knows. But for me, m4/3 is sort of on hold until they get some really wider glass out for it.

If you are going full 4/3 using Oly SHG glass, I expect it would be a different story, but I have no experience there.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've been lurking on this one for a while, probably out of embarrassment - having sold all my Oly (E-3) and Leica gear a few weeks ago, keeping only the Fuji x100. Kept because its light, takes unbelievably good pics and is great in low light. Having done the home work I now have a Nikon D800, because I enjoyed using primes on the M8 I've stuck with that philosophy for the Nikon, which also means that it is probably lighter than the Oly with 11-22.

The sale of all the other gear netted a lot more than my highest estimate so I've still got change after replacing everything with D800 + 85 & 50 1.8G Voigtlander Nokton 55 1.4, Nikkor 45 PC-E & 24 2.8 (yes I'd realised that the range between 45 & 85 was optimal for my work)

I do have to say though that there are some quite confronting issues with the change over - both Oly and Leica lenses felt the real deal and the 1.8gs are nasty little bits of plastic by comparison but........... the 85 takes very good pics, so I got over my aversion very quickly.

What annoys me the most in all this is a feeling that camera reviewers go easy on Nikon, for example everyone said awful things about the Fuji X100 focus speed, by my subjective evaluation the Nikon 50 1.8g is often far worse but........... Oly was always quicker. etc etc What we get used to is the realisation that no camera is perfect, a rational approach to the problem sent me off to Nikon.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Supposedly... there are two bodies from Olympus, due late next summer or early next fall. One will be a full 4/3 body of unknown configuration, other than it will probably not be just an E5 with the Sony sensor. More likely smaller, but still weathersealed. The other is an OMD sized body with PDAF on sensor for fast AF with ZD lenses, and for better C-AF performance.

I ordered an OMD when it was first announced, largely to get a better sensor behind my ZD's - the battery grip sealed it for me, as HG ZD on Pen is extremely clumsy. Got it through a local camera store, same price as online, and I'm in the boonies of KY. For me, the greatly improved sensor performance more than offset the slower AF - you can really do things with the EM5 RAW's. And the battery grip did solve the handling issues with HG and SHG ZD... well, tamed it down to where it's now a useable combination.

I agree with olddigiman - the M43 glass so far has been, for the most part, disappointing. I do like the little 45 1.8 especially at that price, and was giving serious thought to a 75 1.8, until I found a ZD 35-100 for $1200. That was a no-brainer. Handling with that big lens on a gripped OMD is really no worse than with the E3, both are a handful.

The two F2.8 Panny zooms in particular were a letdown - vignetting and softness wide open, and the images just seem to lack that 'oh wow' factor that SHG ZD has. I've looked at a lot of Panny 35-100 shots online, and just haven't seen any that made me want to run out and buy one, certainly not at that price. They are more like ZD 50-200 shots on a bad day. So I'm getting the idea that fast zooms can't be shrunken to any great degree without sacrificing some IQ in the process.

Consequently, the idea of an OMD that can AF the ZD glass quickly really got my attention. It's not a perfect combination, but as hot selling as the OMD is, it's a viable platform that will continue for some time. If it can AF the ZD glass decently, that means my beloved ZD's will remain useful with a contemporary body for some time.

A revised full 4/3 only body? There might be one more, but the handwriting is on the wall. Not that many people would buy it. This is why I'm looking to the upcoming OMD-Pro... it will sell well, and attract enough revenue to assure future development.
    E3, E1, E330, EP1, EM5
    ZD: 7-14, 8FE, PL25 1.4, 14-54, 35-100, 50-200, 70-300 50 Macro, EX-25
    MZD: 12-50, 45 1.8, 14-150
    Nikkor: 105 1.8, 400 3.5, TC301 teleconverter
    FL-50, STF-22

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
    Supposedly... there are two bodies from Olympus, due late next summer or early next fall. One will be a full 4/3 body of unknown configuration, other than it will probably not be just an E5 with the Sony sensor. More likely smaller, but still weathersealed. The other is an OMD sized body with PDAF on sensor for fast AF with ZD lenses, and for better C-AF performance.

I ordered an OMD when it was first announced, largely to get a better sensor behind my ZD's - the battery grip sealed it for me, as HG ZD on Pen is extremely clumsy. Got it through a local camera store, same price as online, and I'm in the boonies of KY. For me, the greatly improved sensor performance more than offset the slower AF - you can really do things with the EM5 RAW's. And the battery grip did solve the handling issues with HG and SHG ZD... well, tamed it down to where it's now a useable combination.

I agree with olddigiman - the M43 glass so far has been, for the most part, disappointing. I do like the little 45 1.8 especially at that price, and was giving serious thought to a 75 1.8, until I found a ZD 35-100 for $1200. That was a no-brainer. Handling with that big lens on a gripped OMD is really no worse than with the E3, both are a handful.

The two F2.8 Panny zooms in particular were a letdown - vignetting and softness wide open, and the images just seem to lack that 'oh wow' factor that SHG ZD has. I've looked at a lot of Panny 35-100 shots online, and just haven't seen any that made me want to run out and buy one, certainly not at that price. They are more like ZD 50-200 shots on a bad day. So I'm getting the idea that fast zooms can't be shrunken to any great degree without sacrificing some IQ in the process.

Consequently, the idea of an OMD that can AF the ZD glass quickly really got my attention. It's not a perfect combination, but as hot selling as the OMD is, it's a viable platform that will continue for some time. If it can AF the ZD glass decently, that means my beloved ZD's will remain useful with a contemporary body for some time.

A revised full 4/3 only body? There might be one more, but the handwriting is on the wall. Not that many people would buy it. This is why I'm looking to the upcoming OMD-Pro... it will sell well, and attract enough revenue to assure future development.
    Ahhhh........no. Don't put too much faith in rumors or wish lists until the time is right.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by laingjd View Post
    Ahhhh........no. Don't put too much faith in rumors or wish lists until the time is right.
    my irresistible response is
    the time for being right has left
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    my irresistible response is
    the time for being right has left
    You get the information, if you want it, when the time I'd chosen by the gnomes.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ODM, Thanks for the comments, they gave me a slight push. I went from Olympus 4/3s with HG lenses and moved to Nikon when Olympus pretty implied the end of the dSLRs except a pro model. If Olympus had not done that I would have bought four or five of the SHG lenses ion the next months.

Now I feel like I'm back in the 70s, a medium format camera (the D800), a 35mm equivalent with a little bit longer reach (the D7100) and a rangefinder (well similar, the EM-5.)

Riley, As for the time being right has left - I agree, but things are changing all the time.

I do know that for quite some time what I have (with a few additions) is what I'll be using.
    Clint
    OM-D EM-1 | 7-14mm | 12-40mm | 12-60mm | 35-100mm | 50-200mm | 100-400mm | 12mm | 25mm f/1.4 | 45mm f/1.8 | 75mm f/1.8 | FL-600R | FL-50R |

Shooting since 1964

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

C.Licks....get it?
    Grrrrrooooannnnn!!
    Indeed . . . .

John
    Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
    E-5, E-3, E-500; ZD 9-18, 12-60, 14-54 I, 35, 50, 50-200 SWD, PL 25; EC-14; FL-50, HLD-4
    E-M5; m.ZD 12-50, MMF-3, HLD-6
    Nikon D800,
    Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR II, 105mm f/2.8G ED IF VR micro
    B+W & Cokin filters, Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Acratech GP ball head

jlhemingwayphotos.com