Thread: Interest in an inexpensive entre into Large Format....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Interest in an inexpensive entre into Large Format....

I hope this is a legitimate post. If not please remove.

A couple of fellows from Large Format Photography forum have designed and prototyped a $100 large format camera in the 65 and 90mm focal lengths. Simple one piece design, taking various film backs up to 4X5. The project has become a Kickstarter project for funding production. Pledges are being taken by Amazon and selling will take place by Amazon, when the camera(s) are produced. There is also a pinhole option. Buyer provides the lens/shutter, or use the Pinhole Option.

This is the link to the project on Kickstarter, and there are over 50 pages of posts on the Large Format Photography Forum over the last year. Over 500 people have pledged a bit over $61,000 dollars in a bit over a week, with 23 days left to reach the Goal for production,

Here is the link. I know some here are shooting large format, as am I. I have pledged for two camera's. I have no financial interest in the project. Simply helping to get the word out.

Travelwide 45 camera by Wanderlust Cameras — Kickstarter

Thanks for leaving this up, if it is done.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Re: Interest in an inexpensive entre into Large Format....

This looks like a very interesting camera... I have a SA 90mm f/8 which they say will work with a documented adjustment - - maybe I'll put in an "order" for one... I have stopped shooting 4x5 because I no longer have a darkroom set up for developing film & printing pictures ...my wife wanted our guest bathroom back and I had expanded to fill the whole thing and never took down the "temporary" set-up... LOL! However, I do not see that as a permanent situation, and I like the idea of an easy to use P&S 4x5. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Pledges at 548
    Pledge amount $66,000 plus
    20 days left
    Less than $10,000 to reach goal.

$100 Large Format (4x5) film travel wide angle. I'm in for both focal lengths... 65mm and 90mm.

The 90mm (equivalent to 28mm wide 35) in the bag with one lens, a half dozen loaded 4x5 holders (12 shots), My new E-PL5 and a couple of lenses... Less than 5 pounds for sure. What a travel kit!!!!

Color me smiling if this hits goal in 20 days.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Sorta cool, but I'd go for an old speed graphic myself so I could cam the lenses and use the rangefinder. Still, it's a super idea.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yeah, I've been following the beginning of this idea over on Large Format Photography forum for about a year... about 50 plus pages of posts. I bought my first Speed Graphic Crown at Columbus Camera in Ohio in 1988. Since then I have purchased a number of Graflex Super Graphics, and have two now, one of which is cammed for two lenses. I'm excited about this venture, because at 70 I am no longer interested in hand held and rangefinder focus, and would like to lighten the Large Format part of the load. Interestingly, I shoot medium format as well, but there are more film emulsions for Large Format, than for my Fuji 6X9 rangefinder.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

When will the digital back be available?
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    When will the digital back be available?
    ​With the E-5s pixel density that would only be about 685MP.
    Cameras: E-M1 Mk1
    Lenses: Oly 12-40 PRO / Oly 60 Macro / Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro / 50-200 SWD
    Converters: EX-25
    Flashes: FL-50

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KHatfull View Post
    ​With the E-5s pixel density that would only be about 685MP.
    Maybe I will put my E-7 on hold and wait for this new back. It should be great for portraiture.

Actually I think this camera is cool. I just don't like shooting film any more.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

OK... earlier today, I put out a challenge that I would pledge another $100 if the pledges broke $70,000 by midnight tonight. Right now the pledges reached $69,957.00, So it looks like I will be pledging for my third camera. One for 65mm, one for 90mm, and one to make an addon back to use my Polaroid Rodenstock Ysarex 127mm. Thanks for any contributions this site has tendered.

Lars

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well, I ended up pledging the $100 additional amount because the Kickstarter reached $70,000 way before midnight last night. In fact, right now (Oregon 9AM PMT), the pledge level is $73,167. Pondering another challenge striving for $74,000, but this thing is on a roll with 18 days to go, and I'm over monthly camera budget at the moment.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saichiez View Post
    Well, I ended up pledging the $100 additional amount because the Kickstarter reached $70,000 way before midnight last night. In fact, right now (Oregon 9AM PMT), the pledge level is $73,167. Pondering another challenge striving for $74,000, but this thing is on a roll with 18 days to go, and I'm over monthly camera budget at the moment.

I'm glad to see you are supporting this project.
    Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

Quote Originally Posted by saichiez View Post
    I think you've done your share, both monetarily and bring it to the attention of others.

LF doesn't interest me but I pledged $10, just because I applaud people trying to do something different.
    Cameras: E-M1 Mk1
    Lenses: Oly 12-40 PRO / Oly 60 Macro / Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro / 50-200 SWD
    Converters: EX-25
    Flashes: FL-50