Thread: Will the last person to leave please turn off the forum.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default Will the last person to leave please turn off the forum.

After 51/2 years, I have decided I will no longer post on this forum. I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be, as good a photographer as those who post here. I posted pictures of things that interested me and, I hoped, people on the forum. From the lack of responce , I have found that this is not the case.

I have tried to be part of the solution by comment without responce and posting without comments. My participation (or lack of it) will make no difference in this forum. It will continue to die a slow death due to apathy.

I will lurk occasionally, hoping to see some of Ken's raptor shots, and because he promised me that when he died I could have the box to his 300mm if he could find it. The friends that I have made on the forum, I can communicate with by e-mail without the problem of double posting.

I hope that all of you find the perfect camera for your use and the perfect way and place to use it.

Thank you for all the help I did get here, a long time ago.

Jim Wright

halfwright

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Will the last person to leave please turn off the forum.

Like you, I almost never post here anymore although I think I have more cumulative forum posts than any other user. In my case, it's because I'm a SLR user and this is largely a m4/3 forum now. Also, Olympus' declining interest in SLRs has led me to make all of my new SLR investments in another brand although I still retain my large collection of 4/3 lenses and two of the older bodies. I'm also now experimenting with HD video with dedicated video equipment so my current interests really just don't conform with this forum. That having been said, I really think it's premature to declare the forum dead. There is a large m4/3 community out there somewhere and at least some of their interests appear sporadically here in this forum. There is even hope that Olympus might do something unexpected on the SLR front. Enough hope at least to cause me to check into this forum every 2-3 days or so to scan the subjects under discussion. At any rate, my best wishes to the m4/3 folks who now inhabit this forum. Keep shooting.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Best of luck Jim,

I may not have commented on your posts but I always enjoyed taking a look !

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I will miss your posts because in addition to excellent photos, the locations always gave me new places to consider visiting. Sometimes the end comes and it's no ones fault. People move on to the next best piece of technology and then the old gets left in the dust. The same thing happened to my favorite computer forum years ago, my blog site late last year, and it's happening to my tablet forum. Best of luck with your travels.
    Cheers, Dave

E-510 | 14-42 | 40-150 | 50-200 SWD| 70-300 (still Broken)| EC-14 | FL-36
    Toshiba Thrive (rooted) | Droid (rooted)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I am kind of an odd-ball here when it comes to photographic interests as I enjoy photographing models, actors, singers, and dancers which is quite different than about 95% of the other posters.

However, I do like reading the posts and keeping up on what Olympus is doing, or not doing. I don't comment on a lot of posts much any more, but I do check in every day in hopes of learning something new.

EB - I do miss your contributions to the forum.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Bye.
    ​Best wishes.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

^ I just noticed your location is the Republic of Texas. I like that, I like that a lot.

As far as not commenting on posts, many of us read, and learn much from posts, but don't feel compelled to add. I frequent a few blogs, photo, political, etc. sometimes a person can not add what has already been said, so you read, nod your head and move on.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by d4mike View Post
    ^ I just noticed your location is the Republic of Texas. I like that, I like that a lot. As far as not commenting on posts, many of us read, and learn much from posts, but don't feel compelled to add. I frequent a few blogs, photo, political, etc. sometimes a person can not add what has already been said, so you read, nod your head and move on.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Default Where is the switch?

Halfwright, as I recall, your posts are always interesting.

I stopped posting here about a year ago when the forum was turning into the "OM-D is so Great" and "4/3 is dead" forum. Now that we know with certainty from Olympus BOD that 4/3 is not dead, it's been interesting to come back here and read threads again. It's amazing how many regulars here have switched to m4/3, how many say they will switch back to 4/3 when Olympus offers a new DSLR that meets their expectations and just how slow this forum has become. So I've posted a comment or two lately.

For a while I waded through all the angst and vitrolic arguments on dpreview Oly SLR Talk. I've done my best to quash the negativity. At least on dpreview they have a separate forum for Micro 4/3 Talk. The constant badgering from m4/3 adopters was dragging that forum down too. Things improved after a lot of complaints from DSLR shooters and the forum moderators. The m4/3 adopters finally got the message and stopped bashing 4/3 on SLR Talk and went back to Micro 4/3 Talk. I think with renewed optimism for Olympus DSLR and 4/3 lenses, most of that has declined. All of that to say, this forum suffers from too many posts about m4/3 for most people who want to discuss 4/3 DSLRs.

I haven't posted photos here for a while. I was always happy with the comments I recieved. I find not everyone likes my style and some actually don't like my viewpoint on scenes. I attribute my constrained, formulaic images to my singular, pragmatic, rational training as an engineer. I try to think outside the box whenever possible.

Look at the number of clicks or reads on any thread comapred to the number of responses. Some people above have said they often read without commenting. It would be good if more of us would comment on photos. We all need the feedback.
    Dave in So Cal

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Where is the switch?

For a long time, I have postulated (and posted) that turning this into a quasi-m4/3 forum to reap short turn gains in potential readership would be the death knell of the forum in the long run. There are a million m4/3 forums out there right now. At one time, this was the only dedicated mostly-4/3 forum on the web of any note. Now, it's competing with every other ho-hum also-ran m4/3 site.

I candidly admit that I like to post some photos with *Olympus* non-4/3rds gear such as the XZ-1 panos and now, the newer better XZ-2 panos (well, I mean that will do so again as soon as the remaining bugs get worked out of IE10). But posting a photo now and again from an Oly non-4/3 camera is a far cry from my demanding to turn this into an XZ-friendly website.

So, even though I have an EPM-1 m4/3 camera, I seldom if ever initiate a post about m4/3 here, nor do I post much about the XZ's.

I suspect a lot of the perceived demand for adding m4/3 gear here was to retain some long-term posters who made the complete switch. That's fine and well, but like I said above, I'll lay money on the odds that it's going to be the near-kiss of death in the long run....

I agree with Whaleshark that forum 22 over on the Darkside is operating about the best it's been in a few years. Fewer posts, but mostly because few, if any, of the incessant flame-warrior posts are any longer tolerated (mostly having been banished to the m4/3 forum). If you want to be reminded what it used to be like over there, just check out any 4/3-specific news over on 4/3Rumours...deja vu!!. Some of the banned posters that used to poison forum 22 now hang out there, making life miserable for the other 4/3 forum members.

One last thing, the new slogan logo needs to desperately have the word "all" removed from the slogan. Maybe that's the grammar-nazi in me coming out, but it is gratingly incoherent and incorrect.

Leigh
    zippski
    Last edited by zippski; 04-11-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yes, DPR 4/3 is a hot mess, even though they serially send the noisiest trolls to timeout. At times half of the top ten posters are on my ignore list, which turns threads into Swiss cheese. Amidst the noise there are a few very good photographers, soldiering on, but it's a painful place to spend much time.

A couple of the old Niko-Trolls still parachute into the 4/3 forum to spread derision dust, but it's generally quiet as a mouse there. I still never know where to post a question about a 4/3 lens on a 4/3 body. :-)

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by d4mike View Post
    ^ I just noticed your location is the Republic of Texas. I like that, I like that a lot.
    in London there is a wine merchant called Berry Bros and Rudd, housed in a very old building. On the wall is a plaque that says it was the location of the Texas Ligation, I.e. where Texas was run from.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Roberts View Post
    in London there is a wine merchant called Berry Bros and Rudd, housed in a very old building. On the wall is a plaque that says it was the location of the Texas Ligation, I.e. where Texas was run from.
    Correct. It is a copy of a plaque from a place in Central Texas called Washington on the Brazos. The seat of the first Texas Government.
    A Texas Legation was maintained in London and Paris in the beginning so the Government wouldn't be destroyed when overrun by Mexico. A Legation is an Embassy of sorts.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by whaleshark View Post
    Look at the number of clicks or reads on any thread comapred to the number of responses. Some people above have said they often read without commenting. It would be good if more of us would comment on photos. We all need the feedback.
    I am definitely in the "reads more than comments" category... but I feel I have earned that right! LOL! There is so much I don't know about digital shooting, period, having just converted to digital 4-5 years ago after 45+ years of shooting film. And the style of images I shoot and like are so different from what most people here shoot that I truly do not feel qualified or, in some cases, even competent, to answer. And I have the personal opinion that "Nice shot" is not really what the poster of an image has in mind. That's one reason I really appreciate forums that have the "Like" button - - I can click that and not feel like a fool because the only thing I could say other wise is "Nice shot."

I do try to comment on other threads, as I feel I have something to add - - I think I'm up to around 150 posts after several years, but even there, sometimes, I feel like the old fart in the crowd.
    Wes Clavey
    Visit My Gallery

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I flipped my switch here quite awhile ago....have tried to come back and still peruse and comment occasionally, however it is increasingly difficult, in the photo forum a ton of views and virtually no feedback and I took the discussion forum off of my morning coffee cup list since the posts almost never move, I get tired of seeing the post list hardly change....and a while back the OLY demise posts drove me crazy. It got to where it was an incessant a bunch of pixel peepers who fail to utilize even half of the capabilities of any camera they are using, assuring the readers here that Olympus was dead and could never be revived.

So I pretty much have moved on, still very happy with my E-30 and soon to come E-5...and my trusty back-up E-500 (love that Kodak Sensor)

Have a great time everyone...

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by wigpro View Post
    I flipped my switch here quite awhile ago....have tried to come back and still peruse and comment occasionally, however it is increasingly difficult, in the photo forum a ton of views and virtually no feedback
    Long ago I began to tire of opening up post after post to look at images, and Im sure I dont give the 'photo' part anywhere near the focus it deserves
    and complaining about complaining just gets old.....

I visit DPI 'fun with four thirds cameras ritually at least once a week, because theyre all there to enjoy in one thread
    photographers communicate well with images, and they are in themselves inspiration,
    its rare for people to comment, so such things are somehow special
    but 'likes' are used a lot, and I use them myself

I must say I think things here would raise just a little more interest and keep things rolling along if we did the same here
    Im in the business of taking photos, but I dont always have something worthwhile to say
    we should do this here, I dont see why not

So I pretty much have moved on, still very happy with my E-30 and soon to come E-5...and my trusty back-up E-500 (love that Kodak Sensor)
    Jim
    Ive been thinking just today, theres a chance we might be able to love that Kodak feeling all over again...
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I'm thinking today, there's a chance we might be able to love that Kodak feeling all over again

That would be nice...I am hoping the next DSLR will utilize a Kodak sensor!! May have to wait on my E-5 purchase and see. I still love my little E-500!

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That would be nice...I am hoping the next DSLR will utilize a Kodak sensor!! May have to wait on my E-5 purchase and see. I still love my little E-500!

Jim
    its what April, the thing will be here in October
    theres an opportunity here for someone to step up and say something of what they know
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Well.........it won't be a Kodak Sensor. There is no Kodak.
    There is a company called Truesense. Won't be one of those either.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Thanks for you're support halfwright, sorry to see you go.

I don't mind people saying farewell if they want to. But it frustrates me when such threads turn into lots of comments by people who, apparently, don't comment anymore. Except to say they don't comment anymore. So I'm closing this thread.

If anyone has some constructive feedback for discussion take it over to the Questions & Comments About This Site forum.

Apologies to halfwright for having to do so, if anyone else would like to thank him or wish well please send him a private message.

Thanks