Thread: Where's the switch?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Default Where's the switch?

The thread titled, "Will the last person to leave please turn off the forum" had some good feedback for this forum. While the subject is a bit of a downer, it's an attempt to explain why this forum is so slow. Unfortunately it has been closed early.

There's good feedback for people who look at photos but don't post replies. A lot of the replies explain why there are so many views and so few replies to meaningful discussion threads. "I don't have anything to offer" is a common but feable refrain. Most people here have experience with the technical issues being raised, no matter how knowledgeable they may be. Everyone has an opinion.

There are common reasons for why many people who still shoot Olympsu DSLRs have decided not to post on this forum, or possibly any forums. The "Oh my God, the OM-D is so fine" and "4/3 is dead" posts, being one of them.

Maybe enough has been said already to understand a trend of opinions. Interstingly, it was suggested that this subject be raised on a forum that get's about 1.5% of the activity. Where it won't be noticed. The feedback might also help moderators and administrators as much as it does our members.
    Dave in So Cal

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Where's the switch?

I think the forum management just expressed its opinion about feedback.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    I disagree...I think craig closed a thread that had gotten far off topic and had it gone any farther probably degenerated into just...ick.

If you were to ask me why this forum has seen a decrease in traffic, I think there's a few reasons:

1) 4/3 DSLRs are a mature product. Those that have them probably have them pretty much figured out. Unfortunately there's not a lot of new entrants into the format....that seems to all be m4/3.

2) m4/3...this is not a hit on this forum, craig, or anyone else but it's a simple fact that there are more well-established, higher traffic, higher profile m4/3 sites out there. That will naturally draw some m4/3 traffic from here.

3) Combine both decreased 4/3 traffic due to low levels of adoption and lowering levels of m4/3 traffic to other, more prominent sites and you get a good draw down here.

4) Concerning posting photos and feedback, sometimes photos will get feedback, sometimes they won't. I think posters need to understand that and not take lack of response the wrong way. That CERTAINLY doesn't mean this forum is dead.

5) Traffic here will ALWAYS BE LESS THAN PLACES DEALING WITH THE BIG TWO OR THREE. Why? Olympus releases bodies and products on a snails pace by comparison. With Olympus not releasing products on Canon's schedule there's just naturally going to be less traffic because there's not a "product of the month" to get all twisty over.

I think if Olympus does what we all hope and give us another 4/3 DSLR body you'll see a big uptick in traffic here...4/3 will get some attention again and there will be new adopters. I think you'll even see people entering with E-3s and the like as a new body showcases ZD glass.

There will also be a core of dedicated users that will be here regardless. I count myself among them.

While I took a walk on the Pentax wild side I hung out at pentaxforums.com You talk about a vibrant forum. WOW! Buy why? I think for a few reasons which Olympus just doesn't have:

1) MUCH more equipment to talk about. Because brand new bodies are 100% or partially compatible with any K-mount lens ever produced by ANY manufacturer there's a LOT of equipment to buy, explore, and talk about. There is no Olympus equivalent. Sure, you can use OM lenses, but stop-down only. But the number of 4/3 AF lenses can almost be counted when you're naked! There's just a limited amount of equipment in the mix.

2) Pentax is releasing MANY more products than Oly....again, more to talk about.

3) There are still a LOT of Pentax film users...I was shocked. I don't know how many OM film shooters are out there but I sense less than Pentax.

Anyway...I think rushing to judgement about the forums demise is just silly...we've been strung along with the hopes of new equipment for a while now. I think it's only natural there's movement away from the forum as people get impatient and move away from the format.

Personally, I see no doom and gloom here. The equipment I have FAR outstrips my ability to use it.
    Cameras: E-M1 Mk1
    Lenses: Oly 12-40 PRO / Oly 60 Macro / Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro / 50-200 SWD
    Converters: EX-25
    Flashes: FL-50

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

+1 to KHatful's comments
    Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
    E-5, E-3, E-500; ZD 9-18, 12-60, 14-54 I, 35, 50, 50-200 SWD, PL 25; EC-14; FL-50, HLD-4
    E-M5; m.ZD 12-50, MMF-3, HLD-6
    Nikon D800,
    Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR II, 105mm f/2.8G ED IF VR micro
    B+W & Cokin filters, Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Acratech GP ball head

jlhemingwayphotos.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    Not really. Management told you where to put the feedback.....that's all.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

As some others have already replied... I don't mind feedback. Infact I encourage it. I would love more.

However, I reserve the right to the following opinions and based on the show of support I've received for closing halfwright's thread I may encourage myself and other moderators to exercise this these opinions more:
    1) Feedback is generally best when it is constructive. If it's about something you don't think is right or it could be done better then don't just state your observation .. give some suggestions as to how to make it better.
    2) The Questions & Comments About This Site forum, where I suggested you post feedback is probably less viewed than other parts of the site. You're quite right. But why? BECAUSE MOSE PEOPLE DON'T CARE. They come here to talk about photography. And, it seems, those people get annoyed by threads like this. And it is THOSE people who I will work hard to support in this community because they are the people who will make it better than it already is.

So, to sum up, I don't mind halfwight's Farewell thread, and any future ones (in the discussion forum), if it was along the lines of "Thanks and Goodbye" and the replies were focused on that subject too. But if the degenerates into "I only comment to complain" like it did then myself or one of the moderators will take action.

​Thanks for understanding..

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

I have to agree Craig,

A good critique/feed back should be constructive.

I'm not saying anyone has to pull any punches but that should be followed by suggestions on how to improve whatever the problem is.

Or possibly have more realistic expectations, each forum is different. Some of my best work has gone unnoticed on one site and the same image has sparked lively discussion on another.

One site receives comments only on technical merits while ignoring content. Another totally ignores technical aspects...

The truth is I feel sad for those that have taken their toys and gone home, they have left a friendly and supportive community behind.

I for one am quite pleased with my Olympus equipment and this site is my first check in the morning.

As to how slow it is, as you can tell I also hang out on another half dozen photo forums and the traffic is down on all of them.

I believe it's simply the fact that those that really were not that serious in the first place have moved on to the next thing

Cheers, Don
    Last edited by Don Kondra; 04-15-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KHatfull View Post
    I disagree...I think craig closed a thread that had gotten far off topic and had it gone any farther probably degenerated into just...ick.

If you were to ask me why this forum has seen a decrease in traffic, I think there's a few reasons: ...

1) MUCH more equipment to talk about. Because brand new bodies are 100% or partially compatible with any K-mount lens ever produced by ANY manufacturer there's a LOT of equipment to buy, explore, and talk about. There is no Olympus equivalent. Sure, you can use OM lenses, but stop-down only. But the number of 4/3 AF lenses can almost be counted when you're naked! There's just a limited amount of equipment in the mix.

Personally, I see no doom and gloom here. The equipment I have FAR outstrips my ability to use it.
    Khatfull, that's a great reply to why this and other 4/3 forums may be slow. I agree with most of what you've said. And you've had the Pentax experience behind you to compare with. I enjoyed reading your post, but especially the line about having as many naked toes and fingers as there are Olympus 4/3 DSLR lenses available.

I think my post raises the questions of forum activity that were raised in the first thread, "Will the last person..." without trying to answer them. I don't presume to know what the problems are or how to fix them. I have not spent enough time here in the last year to know. But I see trends in the responses to the first thread that coud be addressed.

I think it's important to raise the questions and let people express their opinions on the matter. People may realize from my questions what's important and what may need fixing. And it gives a starting point of topics that may need more discussion.

I also called the administrators to the mat for having blocked a thread that may have become critical of the forum. But something good could come from that feedback if the administrators were listening and open to changes. I believe they are since they sent out surveys and asked for feedback in the past. What I recall is from a year ago when the website changed ownership and management style.

This thread got lots of positive response. I am glad for that.

If I have any suggestions, as people seem to be asking me for, it would be

1) for another forum within this site for micro 4/3 MILC. A place where all the "m4/3 is so great" and "m4/3 is better than an Olympus DSLR" and "we want a hybrid to replace/upgrade to the OM-D, not another DLSR" can post to their hearts content without detracting from useful discussions about how to get the most out of the Olympus 4/3 gear we have. (Olympus is not going to upgrade a very popular m4/3 camera, the OM-D, any time soon so forget that notion.)

2) for people here to realize that finding reasons not to reply to a thread or a photo is just a cop-out

and 3) not replying has consequences. We all need the feedback (me too), especially on our photos. Giving people feedback leads to a healthy, vibrant forum.

Thanks again for the positive comments posted here,
    Dave
    Dave in So Cal

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

I am not sure if it was necessary to close the original thread; but I appreciate that it is not deleted. It gvies a signal that a different opninion is allowed; but if someone takes it too far out it is stopped.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker