Thread: Disaster photo shoot

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Disaster photo shoot

Some of you may have seen my post requesting help on taking video at a concert with the E-5. In any case, I declined the job to take the video of the concert after the responses I received to my post.

However, I decided to take my camera to the concert just to see what would happen if I tried to take video. I also thought I may get some nice still shots.

The first video I took of a song only recorded about a minute and a half and the camera froze up. I shut the camera off and turned it back on again and started taking still shots using natural light.

There was a young lady doing a dance as part of the concert and I started shooting many shots of the dance. What I didn't realize is the flash had opened up and not only did it ruin all the shots I took, it probably messed up the video taken by a professional of the event.

I tried taking a couple more videos along with many other still photos. Something happened in the camera and about 1/2 of the shots I took do not appear on the CF card. I assume this had something to do with mixing video and still shots in the same shoot.

I never liked the idea of having a pop-up flash on what is supposed to be a professional camera, and now I really hate the idea. I am going to tape the flash down on any future shoots I do, or knock the darned thing off with a hammer.

I also never liked the idea of having video in a DSLR, particularly when it is pretty useless.

Sorry for the rant, but I am still mad, and I had to tell someone.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Disaster photo shoot

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    I never liked the idea of having a pop-up flash on what is supposed to be a professional camera, ......I also never liked the idea of having video in a DSLR, particularly when it is pretty useless.
    In full agreement. This has ALWAYS been my feelings towards them. I have a Canon 5D MK II and OMD E-M5. I don't even know where to turn on the video mode in either of them. Fortunately neither of them have a pop-up flash.

​ At least you've gained experience and and knowledge. Something in a few years you'l be able to say, "...let me tell ya 'bout the time I tried doing video and stills..." Hope this helps
    FLICKR
    Have a great day!
    Lorey

Please ask before editing images. Thank you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Keith Hatfull

I never liked the idea of having a pop-up flash on what is supposed to be a professional camera, and now I really hate the idea. I am going to tape the flash down on any future shoots I do, or knock the darned thing off with a hammer.
    I gotta imagine the button got bumped somehow right? The only time I use it is for family snapshots, otherwise its the FL-50 bounced.

I also never liked the idea of having video in a DSLR, particularly when it is pretty useless.
    Couldn't agree more, regardless of whether or not it's useful. If you want a video camera buy a !@#$%^&*() video camera. Leave our @#$%^&*( DSLRs alone. They're STILL CAMERAS.

Sorry for the rant, but I am still mad, and I had to tell someone.
    It's ok. We all feel for you...
    Cameras: E-M1 Mk1
    Lenses: Oly 12-40 PRO / Oly 60 Macro / Sigma 300/4 APO Tele Macro / 50-200 SWD
    Converters: EX-25
    Flashes: FL-50

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders.

I'm sure I must have hit the flash release button, but I was one of the first people to get a E-5 when it was released, and this has never happened to me before, and it happened twice during one shoot. Out comes the black electrical tape to tape the flash down.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

if you look, I think you are going to find your memory card isnt compatible with shooting video, hence the lockups
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    if you look, I think you are going to find your memory card isnt compatible with shooting video, hence the lockups
    You may well be right about this. However, I did get one full song on video. Two of the other ones are just short clips that were apparently terminated after about 10 seconds of recording.

I noticed something else strange. I attempted to download all the images from my card with Lightroom, but the last 4 images did not download. I put the card in the camera, and I can view these 4 images there. I am going to check into this further tomorrow.
    Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Some of you may have seen my post requesting help on taking video at a concert with the E-5. In any case, I declined the job to take the video of the concert after the responses I received to my post.
    Knowing when NOT to accept a job is the true hallmark of a pro, Lawrence. You did well. You may have been disappointed, but you don't have a disappointed client.

I noticed something else strange. I attempted to download all the images from my card with Lightroom, but the last 4 images did not download. I put the card in the camera, and I can view these 4 images there. I am going to check into this further tomorrow.
    Sounds like card issues to me too.
    My Models Portfolio My Weddings Portfolio

Current Equipment: Olympus E10, Leica M9P, Leica M8, Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135 lenses
    Equipment Emeritus: E20n, E1 w/SHLD-2, e520 kit, FL-40, FL-50, E3 w/HLD-4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Olympus 25 f/2.8 pancake, 50 f/2 macro, EX-25, PL 25 f/1.4, 14-54, FL-36, 50-200,Panny DMC-L1, Leica 14-50IS, Olympus E5 w/HLD-4, 11-22, 18-180, 35-100, FL-50r, SHV-01 power pack, FL-BK01 bracket

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

Sorry to hear about your troubles...I just hate it when then do go as planned.

I rarely use the video functions on my E-5, but when I do I expect the following:
    1. a crappy, shaky video
    2. for it to hunt in and out of focus at least 2 times during a 1 minute clip
    3. to hear the rattle snake sound from my 12-60 focusing
    4. to see one of my kids running around doing something silly.

As you can see from #4, I wouldn't trust it do any serious video work.

I agree with others though, sounds like your card might not support video.
    Clint
    Rockin' it Mirrorless Style
    Olympus EM-1, E-PM2, LX-7, S110
    7.5, 12-32, 12-40, 14-42, 20, 25, 45, 75
    Asahi 35 2, SMC Super Tak 135 2.5, Super Tak 200 4
    HLD-7, FL-600r, FL-36r, FL-36, Cactus V5 Duo (x2)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My understanding is for video you should use the sd card not the cf card. Don't remember where I got the idea but I'm sure sd's are better for video.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Look at the notes at the top of page 84 in the E-5 manual. Class 6 SD cards or faster are recommended. There are some other notes there that may be applicable to what you experienced.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Very rare I use the on-camera flash and since I scared the $%@%^ off a Roe Deer with the auto flash I have had the flash off and auto pop up disabled ever since.

Control Panel - flash off - Menu F (at least on the E-30) - bottom entry - auto pop up - OFF - is the safest default.

Cannot comment on video but "Cardrecovery" software worked great for me when I got a card messed up. I have avoided deleting files in camera (which repeatedly amends the file allocation data) and the card has worked fine since.

Mike
    E-M1, Panolygma 7-500 in several steps.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mikebbh View Post
    Very rare I use the on-camera flash and since I scared the $%@%^ off a Roe Deer with the auto flash I have had the flash off and auto pop up disabled ever since.

Control Panel - flash off - Menu F (at least on the E-30) - bottom entry - auto pop up - OFF - is the safest default.

Cannot comment on video but "Cardrecovery" software worked great for me when I got a card messed up. I have avoided deleting files in camera (which repeatedly amends the file allocation data) and the card has worked fine since.

Mike
    I went though all the menus on my E-5 and don't see this as an option on this camera.
    Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saburns View Post
    Look at the notes at the top of page 84 in the E-5 manual. Class 6 SD cards or faster are recommended. There are some other notes there that may be applicable to what you experienced.
    I shoot video with the E5 and the OM-D. A class 10 SD is highly recommended. The OM-D produces beautiful 1080i HD video!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm sure the speed of my cards is my problem as the cards do not even show a class on them.
    Lawrence