Thread: Copyright

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Copyright

I am in the planning stage for a themed photo shoot to produce three photos that will tell a story. The main object of this shoot is just a personal project to expand my experience and to produce photos for both my and the dancer's portfolio. Another object of this shoot is to possibly sell sets of framed images from the shoot.

The potential problem comes because the dancer I will be photographing has a "Alice in Wonderland" outfit which we were considering using as part of the theme of the shoot. My concern is I don't want to run into any copyright problems because of the costume and the "Alice in Wonderland" theme.

I don't even know where to start to looking for an answer other than hiring an attorney which could turn out to be very expensive.

Has anyone here had an experience with something like this?

This "Alice in Wonderland" theme is only one of a number of themes we are considering, but it is one the dancer really likes.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default Re: Copyright

Lawrence, "The Great Google" (pay no attention to the man behind the curtain) has come through again. According to AliceinWonderland.net the copyright has expired on all things Alice.

Good luck with your shoot!

Roger
    My Models Portfolio My Weddings Portfolio

Current Equipment: Olympus E10, Leica M9P, Leica M8, Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135 lenses
    Equipment Emeritus: E20n, E1 w/SHLD-2, e520 kit, FL-40, FL-50, E3 w/HLD-4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Olympus 25 f/2.8 pancake, 50 f/2 macro, EX-25, PL 25 f/1.4, 14-54, FL-36, 50-200,Panny DMC-L1, Leica 14-50IS, Olympus E5 w/HLD-4, 11-22, 18-180, 35-100, FL-50r, SHV-01 power pack, FL-BK01 bracket

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roger h View Post
    Lawrence, "The Great Google" (pay no attention to the man behind the curtain) has come through again. According to AliceinWonderland.net the copyright has expired on all things Alice.

Good luck with your shoot!

Roger
    Very interesting.....

I just assumed that Disney owned the copyright to everything "Alice in Wonderland". As the old saying goes "When you assume....."

Thanks for the information.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

You should be okay Lawrence. They might raise a fuss if you used it commercially to promote another product but for sales of prints I think you're good.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by laingjd View Post
    You should be okay Lawrence. They might raise a fuss if you used it commercially to promote another product but for sales of prints I think you're good.
    Thanks. We may not even use this theme, but I didn't want to rule it out if I didn't have to seeing the dancer likes this theme best at this point. This is the most photographically complex theme we have come up with yet, as it will require a lot of compositing in post processing such as adding a large Cheshire Cat, hole in the ground, etc.
    Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Lawrence, there is a LOT of Alice-themed work out there now. It's quite popular actually. You won't run into copyright issues unless you actually use Disney-copyrighted materials in your shoot. As long as it's all original work, you should be fine.
    My Models Portfolio My Weddings Portfolio

Current Equipment: Olympus E10, Leica M9P, Leica M8, Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135 lenses
    Equipment Emeritus: E20n, E1 w/SHLD-2, e520 kit, FL-40, FL-50, E3 w/HLD-4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Olympus 25 f/2.8 pancake, 50 f/2 macro, EX-25, PL 25 f/1.4, 14-54, FL-36, 50-200,Panny DMC-L1, Leica 14-50IS, Olympus E5 w/HLD-4, 11-22, 18-180, 35-100, FL-50r, SHV-01 power pack, FL-BK01 bracket