Thread: Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Default Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead

Greetings,

I used this head for my last two studio shoots and couldn't be more pleased.

No more fiddling with a dinky little knob

Moving the camera into position is much more convenient since you are using both hands. Right hand under the lens, left hand on the grip. With a traditional ball head you only have one hand free to manipulate the camera, the other is "waiting" to rotate the locking knob.

It's use is pretty basic. Squeeze the grip to loosen the tension on the ball and move the camera/lens. Release pressure on the grip to Lock in the position.

Virtually no droop With smaller lenses. Not so with something heavy like the 35-100mm although it is kind of predictable.

The pressure on the ball can be adjusted but I have it at the minimum for a smooth action.

The camera can be mounted so the handle is on either the left, right or top of the grip.

I actually liked the camera best on the end of the grip but on my camera stand this places the pivot point so low that when angled to 45 degrees or so it moves the camera forward enough that you are actually leaning over the arm to look through the viewfinder.

The quick release plate snaps into place with no need to tighten (the newer model requires a slight push) and there is a safety pin you rotate to assure you don't accidentally release it.

On my old Velbon head it snaps into place and then you tighten the handle to secure it.

Attachment 45869Attachment 45870Attachment 45871

Cheers, Don
    Last edited by Don Kondra; 05-08-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Re: Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead

I agree this head works great in the studio, where strobes and headroom allow you to use less precise positioning and you have fewer stability issues (wind, uneven terrain, moving subjects). It is definitely faster than fiddling with a ball head.

This is a great solution if you need speed and simplicity of operation, but in the field, it was markedly substandard for me, especially with manual focus, long exposures, long lenses, or macro.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Phong

Thank you for your sharing.
    Oly E5
    Zuiko 7-14 F4.0 | 14-35 F2.0 | 50 F2.0 | FL 50R
    Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Gidday Don & Bill

I use my 322RC2 on a Benro A49T monopod.

Have a standard Manfrotto pan/tilt head on the Manfrotto 90 tripod.

Seems to be a good division of labour to me ...

I agree about the twiddly knobs on standard ball heads. One needs a couple of extra hands/arms ...

On my monopod, it is like dancing - no fiddling about.

Don, when I first got my 322RC2, it was quite stiff and jumpy. I pulled most of it apart, cleaned and lightly lubricated the ball and socket with lanolin based fine lock lubricant (Lanox). Set the allen key adjustment properly, then set the knurled knob adjustment into the middle of its range (approx). This works for me. Loose enough to be smooth, tight enough not to move of its own volition.
    regards, john from Melbourne, Australia

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Olympus dSLRs: E-M1; E-30; E-510; E-1
    ZD lenses: 14-42 EZ; 12-50; f2.8/25 pancake; f2/50 macro; 7~14; 11~22; 14~42; 14~45; 14~54 MkII; 40~150 MkI; 40~150 MkII; 50~200 MkI; EX-25; EC-14
    Accessories: 3x Studio strobe kit; R3880; V700; Minolta ScanElite 5400 II; FL-36R; Sunpak MX-124; OM to 4/3rds adapters
    And a whole swag of film gear and computer stuff. Very fortunate, really.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Thanks for your thoughts John,

My (used) grip head has the E-5/35-100mm mounted most of the time and I don't feel a little sag after releasing the handle is out of line

I've since mounted my Velbon ball head on the other end of the camera stand arm and it definitely isn't as convenient to use...

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs