Thread: Hi there… Again

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Hi there… Again

Hi everyone! A little about me. I was a fairly active member here from 2007-2009, having an E3 and some glass. I then switched systems to what many here called the dark side,Canon. Why? I wanted to shoot sports in general and my child's sports in particular, and was not satisfied with E3 low light high iso performance. Neither was I happy about the cost of some of the zuiko fast zooms, specifically 90-250 2.8. Recently, while backing up my images, I looked through my old Oly pics. I was quite impressed with how sharp the images were with each lens I owned. I also loved the colors of my images, especially the jpegs.

So, what's my point, you may be thinking. Those high school days and the sports are pretty much done and I would like to get back into nature, wild life and events with friends. The "friends" pretty much revolves around music, camping and parties. Those will be mostly at night, the first 2 during the day.

I've been seriously thinking about switching to micro 4/3 for these purposes and wondering if it would be a viable switch. Saw some interesting glass for m4/3 and now it ses tables turned. I can get m4/3 stuff cheaper than what I have now. An example I see a panna G3 for $250 new and saw some interesting lens selections, including an Oly 75-300 panna 100-300 even a kenko 400 at very nice price.

So I'm here again to learn a little more about the system and see if it is really a viable switch for me. Thanks all for indulging me. Hope your eyes aren't bleeding from reading my narrative.

Nick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Hi there… Again

Welcome back.

One of the real benefits with µ-4/3 in my view, is that you don't have to break your back carrying the stuff.

I have the G3, which is both a very nice camera, and a annoying one ... The thing that I find annoying is the handling - to many buttons crammed in on the left side; so I tend to press buttons and change things I don't want. IQ is nice though, and the flip-screen is very good when I want to shoot macros and so on. The G5 (and new G6) seems to have improved this a little bit.

For evening/night shooting; I think the new Olympus cameras (E-PM2, E-PL5, E-P5, OM-D E-M5) will be a better choice as they have better high ISO performance. Also they have IBIS which is nice when using the lovely fast primes like 20mm f/1.7, 17mm f/1.8 and 45mm f/1.8. Panasonic has image stabilisation in the lens; and not in all of them.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Hi there… Again

I expect my new m4/3 E-PL3 to be here on Monday. I personally can't wait. I bought it to augment my Canon 40D for everyday and macro shooting. I was leaning heavily toward the Canon EOS M, but some of the features, or lack there of, really had me questioning it. Then, like you, I went through the pics from my old E-500 and decided it was time to get back into Olympus. I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. I may even just completely sell out my Canon gear and go all in on m-4/3 if I like it as much as I expect. The OM-D looks really nice.
    John Cowan

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~