Thread: Hot shoe adapter for Olympus Pen

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Hot shoe adapter for Olympus Pen

Since my E-PL3's hot shoe seems to be bad I am wondering if there is an adapter that I can clip into the accessory port? Or perhaps is there a more advanced flash that clips into the accessory port than the one that comes with the camera?
    John Cowan

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Hot shoe adapter for Olympus Pen

Another option might be to use the clip-on flash to trigger one of the R flashes, FL-300R, FL-36R, or FL-50R.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    Another option might be to use the clip-on flash to trigger one of the R flashes, FL-300R, FL-36R, or FL-50R.
    That is certainly an option, but it doesn't really work for my style. I do not shoot in studio, or use fancy dancy lighting schemes. I use my flash for candid stuff, and just when I need good light walking around. Not having it attached to my camera is kind of a problem for me. I am wondering if the camera can trigger the flash remotely on its own? If so I could just tape the contacts and use it like a remote flash, but in the shoe.
    John Cowan

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I can't even figure out how to get the clip light to trigger the remote flash. And I am not seeing it in the manual anywhere for either unit.
    John Cowan

~Ernest Hemingway~

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by almo View Post
    I can't even figure out how to get the clip light to trigger the remote flash. And I am not seeing it in the manual anywhere for either unit.
    Page 93 of the E-PL3 manual covers wireless flashes, assuming you have a R-flash (FL-300R, FL-36R, FL-600R, FL-50R from Olympus, or mid to high end Metz flashes). IIRC, you had a FL-36, not a FL-36R.

If you are willing to use the flashes in manual mode (or the 1970 era 'auto' mode), you can get a slave trigger that sees the pulse of the clip-on flash and fires the flash. You typically would need to shoot in manual flash mode (as well as manual camera mode) with the power level dialed down.

You don't have to have the flash mounted on a light stand, you could mount it on a bracket along with the camera. If you are in a small room, the slave trigger will see reflections from the flash from the back wall. If you are in a larger room or outdoors, you would need to make a light pipe, either with some aluminum foil over the pop-up flash, and ending over the sensor for the slave trigger. You could also use a fiber optic cable or a light pipe tube like: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10697

If you are handy with tools it is fairly simple to make a bracket. If not, you could get a simple straight bracket: General Brand Straight Flash Bracket VA322 B&H Photo Video or a right angle bracket: General Brand Right Angle Bracket with 2 Flash Shoes VA320 B&H.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have the FL-36. No remote for me. Damn.
    John Cowan

~Ernest Hemingway~