Thread: A question or two about E-1

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default A question or two about E-1

What a nice camera... I don't use it nearly enough as I should.
    90% photos are out of focus but that's more of a problem with my technique, but the one that come out are AWESOME !

For example, the tonight's playground adventure:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9291284982_8f74ddce52_o.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	573.2 KB 
ID:	46242

Photos from E-5 are rarely this organic...it must be the CCD sensor (now I sound to myself like Steve Huff and his "the Leica look").

Anyways, few questions I have (I don't have manual for this camera):
    1. Can you shoot Jpg only ? I couldn't see that option when holding a quality button.
    2. How to engage continuous burst ? I read everywhere that camera can shoot 3fps, but I don't see that option. The timer/remote/drive button only scroll between two options for remote, two options for timer and an empty (single) shot.
    I didn't see option in the menu either.
    3. Camera is frozen while recording/processing image. Once when a single image is fired, I can't even start focusing on the subject ( for next photo) until the image is processed and dumped to the card. Is this normal ?

That's all..I had few more, but I must have forgotten 'em.

Thanks and all the best !
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Default Re: A question or two about E-1

From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800/D500
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    Birds and other stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Nice pic!

I see Don already sent you a link from which you can download the manual. Read the manual thoroughly ... while there are fewer functions on the E-1 than many later model cameras, they are all carefully selected and work together. It's an extraordinarily sophisticated camera for also being a relatively simple camera from the perspective of today's high-end DSLRs.

Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    Photos from E-5 are rarely this organic...it must be the CCD sensor (now I sound to myself like Steve Huff and his "the Leica look").

There's no denying that the E-1 produces stunningly good photographs with a unique look of their own. However, to simply say this is "because it has a CCD sensor" is rather too simplistic a notion. The Kodak CCD sensor in the E-1 and the supporting electronics that do the image processing was the result of extensive collaboration between Kodak and Olympus, in a day when Kodak was still very much The Force in the business. Between the sensor technology, the relatively low Mpixel resolution, the heavy (by modern standards) anti-aliasing filter, Olympus' stunning lenses, and the outstanding image processing built into the E-1 body, this particular camera has survived a decade's worth of the most accelerated development and ferocious competition in the technology world. It still returns breathtaking results, despite its many limitations.

1. Can you shoot Jpg only ? I couldn't see that option when holding a quality button.

The E-1 produces some of the best JPEGs in camera of any camera before or since. And has a pretty slow write pipeline by modern standards when storing raw images to the card. So a lot of people just set up the camera and shoot JPEG only.

In the Menus, you turn off "RAW+Record" somewhere. Then the button and display selector only gives you the JPEG options. See the manual for details.

2. How to engage continuous burst ? I read everywhere that camera can shoot 3fps, but I don't see that option. The timer/remote/drive button only scroll between two options for remote, two options for timer and an empty (single) shot.

The drive button allows you to scroll between two options for remote, two options for self-timer, continuous capture, and single capture (empty). BUT if you have image processing options enabled that required additional time per frame, the continuous capture is not available. See the manual again.

3. Camera is frozen while recording/processing image. Once when a single image is fired, I can't even start focusing on the subject ( for next photo) until the image is processed and dumped to the card. Is this normal ?

Again, you have one of the image processing options enabled that takes priority over shooting. If you want to use the in-camera processing to render your photos, in many cases it's best to capture in raw format and then apply image processing later ... the camera is more responsive and never locks up that way. Like a broken record: see the manual... :-)

There's a lot to learn about getting the most out of the E-1.

One thing I found is that taking advantage of state of the art raw processing makes another huge difference. When Adobe updated the Camera Raw plug-in and Lightroom to include their Process 2010 raw conversion algorithm, and now Process 2012, the E-1 took on a new life for me with an absolutely stunning improvement in noise control and better tonal detailing. Prior to Process 2010, I limited the camera to ISO 400 as a matter of course, used ISO 800 only now and then in extremis. ISO 1600 and 3200 were, to my eye, unusable. After Proces 2010, I have obtained quality B&W results at ISO 3200 and similar color results at ISO 1600. That's a huge gain.

I love the E-1. Of all the Olympus cameras I've used, it's the one that really works for me. The E-3 and E-5 are better cameras in many ways, the new E-P5 may be another in the same class, but the E-1 just has that little something extra that offsets its age and limitations.

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 07-17-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Godfrey: What an excellent description of the uniqueness of the E-1. Well written and informative.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks Godfrey, very informative and detailed post.

I hate manuals...some kind of subconscious fear. I resort to them when absolutely there are no other ways to understand something. I believe the English as a 2nd language, being too analytical and experience of dealing with bad manuals made me not use manuals too much.

I go back to E-1 every time after I buy a new toy. Remorse or something... (I saw great deal on D700 + 3 lenses flash and bag and couldn't pass it).

I looked at Manual, and (obviously) missed part of limitation and menu disappearances or certain modes/menu items. After that I started believing my camera was crippled somehow. Then I saw 2 button press (quality and flash) being linked as a RESET functions. After this I got those missing functions again.

So I will play with menu and see what item is the limit for continuous burst. I believe it would have to be RAW+Jpg.

As far as Adobe processing goes, I have mixed feelings after some playing while processing those images.
    I tried to get as close to the same output from raw file as I had in jpg of the same frame, and I couldnt get same colors no matter what I tried. I did notice I had closer result when I turned off a process calibration (or something like that) in LR which is last option on the right in Develop module.
    Same thing happen on most other images.
    Other then that, I agree the ISO1600, if carefully exposed, can give a good result. Now I wonder what would the 8MP in E-500 sensor give out.

I certainly see huge amount of enjoyment when using E-1 and I have no doubt it stems because it require much much more skill in order to pul the shot. It challenges and engages photographer in such a way that it almost feels like shooting film. You need to know your tool and your trade in order to not have a bad surprise.
    On a side note I took D700 40 hours after acquiring it to a wedding to help out my friend, and to test it's abilities. That thing forgives so much, it's almost unbelievable. I can see why professionals love them since you are almost guaranteed great images as long as you know basics. I bought it because it supplements things Olympus is weak in doing, and that is focus in low light, and ISO performances where this thing is great.
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

IMO, if you want the JPEGs to look the way Olympus renders them, use the E-1's built-in JPEG engine or Olympus raw processing software. That's where the Olympus rendering magic is, and if I wanted that specific look, I wouldn't bother with anything else (it's a shame how clumsy the Olympus software is; very unfortunate). However, Lightroom gives me the results I want far more easily, and is much easier to use. When I want maximum color "accuracy," I profile the camera with the Xrite Passport software and a Color Checker card.

BTW, I still enjoy working with film. I recently bought a pair of Leicaflex SLs and four superb Leica R lenses, which I'll share over to the E-1 as well. They're the only lenses I've found that are actually better than the Olympus ZD pro and super-pro grade lenses. I'll use the E-1 until it no longer works, just like the SLs: Hopefully, that won't be for a long time yet.

As SLR bodies go, the Leicaflex SL and the Olympus E-1 are as good as it gets although both are ancient in their respective milieu

G

oh yes: we are opposites on manuals. i acquire the manual for any camera i want to use even before i have the camera. and read it cover to cover, several times. many are pretty awful, but the information you need is almost always all there. i did the same for the Leicaflex SL ... and it got me laughing. the entire manual is 36 pages! ;-)
    Last edited by Godfrey; 07-17-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I found out Im waaay too analytical when reading manuals (and school tests) and then it turns out that what was written isn't really what was really meant and then I have problem.
    So after few bad experiences I developed aversion toward it.

I found out the drive mode will be taken away when Noise Reduction is turned ON (makes sense since time is required to take another dark frame exposure).

Also the Raw+Jpg option will prevent shooting jpgs only (as mentioned).

I am patiently waiting to buy my first roll of film to use it in OM-1.

Few more shots are in album (If people are interested in finding out what E-1 can do in low-erish light...approx. around 9:30PM and ISO 400 and 800).

P.S. Im so bad as far as lens/gear collecting goes....now with D700 I opened Pandora's box with so much more choice...every day bunch of cheap options come up and it's so hard to resist

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

I am strictly an E-1 user, since around 2005 or 6. Once in awhile I pull out the E-300 for snapshots with the pop-up flash in a pinch with the grandkids, though.
    I also have an OM-1, and OM-G from years ago. I sometimes wonder if I should sell them off or hang on to them. I also have some of the lenses, which can be used with the adapter ring. But with my bad eyesight it's hard to focus in manual mode.

The manual helps, but I found some time ago that there are a few things missing in it (can't remember what they are now, though).
    Will have to take a look at your low light shots. I have some that turned out quite nicely myself.

Ann

I found out Im waaay too analytical when reading manuals (and school tests) and then it turns out that what was written isn't really what was really meant and then I have problem.
    So after few bad experiences I developed aversion toward it.

I found out the drive mode will be taken away when Noise Reduction is turned ON (makes sense since time is required to take another dark frame exposure).

Also the Raw+Jpg option will prevent shooting jpgs only (as mentioned).

I am patiently waiting to buy my first roll of film to use it in OM-1.

Few more shots are in album (If people are interested in finding out what E-1 can do in low-erish light...approx. around 9:30PM and ISO 400 and 800).

P.S. Im so bad as far as lens/gear collecting goes....now with D700 I opened Pandora's box with so much more choice...every day bunch of cheap options come up and it's so hard to resist
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

The option is on the left side of the camera. Two symbols with "DRIVE" on the right side. Hold that button down and turn the front knob (next to the WB button) until you see what looks like rectangles layered on top of each other. You should be able to shoot continuously for up to 12 shots total in that mode if you want.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum