Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: "One Beautiful System" coming in September

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: "One Beautiful System" coming in September

[QUOTE=tomsi42;624501]I think I saw something on 4/3 rumors the the 50mm f/2 was faster on E-M1 than on E-5!

Quite slow then
    I was trying the 50 f2 on the G5 today. Initial focus was quite quick, then a slooow grind to finish off. Accurate though, and superb images.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Here are some specs from 43rumors....probably accurate...

I finally got a correct translation of the OMuser report. The source got the info at an Olympus meeting. Here it is:
    1. E-M1 is still 16MP.
    2. 12-40mm has no power zoom.
    3. EM1 has ISO low setting like the E-P5, i.e. below ISO200. There will be only “LOW” indication, but we don’t how low it actually goes. Sources say the camera will set the low ISO according to the condition, e.g. it may set ISO160 during daytime, and ISO100 during nighttime etc.
    4. E-M1 has a database of all ZD and MZD lenses, including their max apertures and center resolution spec. As a result, over sharpening will not happen during digital corrections/enhancements. ISO performance in general is better than E-M5 by one stop. E.g. E-M1 ISO800 = E-M5 ISO400
    5. E-M1 new feature: Fully automatic HDR (NOT Art10) in Natural and Vivid modes. We think that the camera simply takes multiple exposures in one go to form an HDR image. But during exposure, we did not feel/hear that the shutter is being triggered multiple times. We won’t rule out the fact that it uses some sort of electronic shutter. This type of HDR exposure is only recommended for static objects, just like other types of digital cameras.
    6. Another big advancement is during C-AF, hybrid AF will be engaged. Hybrid AF = Contrast AF + Phase Diff-AF being engaged at the same time. Under S-AF conditions, the camera will automatically use either Contrast-AF or Phase Diff-AF, depending on what lens is put on. Hybrid AF is engaged only in C-AF mode. (MY NOTE: I believe the author meant Phase Detection NOT Phase Difference)
    7. In the future M43 lineups will be:
    OM-D Series: For pro/advanced amateur, therefore E-M5 will have a successor.
    PEN Series: E-PX is for simple and stylish advanced users. E-PLX is meant for beginners. E-PMX is for simple and stylish beginners.
    8. I want to re-emphasize: there is no plan for an E-5 successor, and there is no plan for any new ZD lens. But the current ZD lenses will continue to be manufactured.
    9. 40-150 f2.8 constant aperture zoom will be out by next year. It looks like a mini version of the Nikon 70-200mm f4.
    Thansk Jerry for the translation!
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Confess I'm finding the E-M1 (based on what we know and what I infer) to be a more serious shot at a pro camera than I'd expected. Rumor site today has a high-quality top shot with the 12-40 mounted and the big grip and control layout would seem to give it good handling and much better no-look, one-touch access to key controls than the E-M5. If the rumored AA filter deletion is true, this will also be the zenith in 4/3 image detail, to date (an obvious shootout vs. the GX7 looms).

Pretty stoked at the possibilities here.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

One full stop better high ISO.... now that IS interesting! That would put it in the range of the D7100 which has about the same pixel pitch.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds View Post
    I guess a better question is, why keep the 12-60? Because of extra 20mm of range at f/4.0? Because its so cheap? Because of nostalgia?
    Thanks for the question. It made me think a bit and do a little research into my shooting habits.
    Out of over 8,000 photos taken with this lens that have been used and delivered,
    27% were taken at 12mm
    23% were taken at 60mm
    65% were taken between 12-35mm
    70% were taken between 21-40mm

since the vast majority of these were taken at events, I imagine the greatest percentage of photos taken from 41- 60mm was when I noticed an expression, a look, a reaction, or a moment that was worth capturing. By the way - I'll often use the 12-60mm instead of the Nikon 17-35mm and 35-70mm lenes I have.
    Now I know why I do that. Here are a few more reasons

- highly attractive focal length range
    - AF is exceedingly fast
    - comparatively fast speed although just short of the prestigious constant max f-stop
    - dust & moisture sealing (don't have to worry about sand or someone spelling drink)
    - excellent optical performance
    - focuses by conventional mechanical coupling of the focus ring vice the mushy/no feel by wire focusing (very nice when manually focusing)
    - incorporates superior build quality

and the two most relevant reasons
    - it's paid for and in my hands today!
    Clint
    OM-D EM-1 | 7-14mm | 12-40mm | 12-60mm | 35-100mm | 50-200mm | 100-400mm | 12mm | 25mm f/1.4 | 45mm f/1.8 | 75mm f/1.8 | FL-600R | FL-50R |

Shooting since 1964

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterduster View Post
    Well put. There will be folks here that can only see having a huge DSLR with all the best of everything or they are going to be disappointed. Then we have the whiners who have read all the FT3 rumors and speculation that runs rampant and say Olympus has let them down and now they are sad little boys and girls and want to run home to mommy for comforting.
    Will that was rather flippant.
    Clint
    OM-D EM-1 | 7-14mm | 12-40mm | 12-60mm | 35-100mm | 50-200mm | 100-400mm | 12mm | 25mm f/1.4 | 45mm f/1.8 | 75mm f/1.8 | FL-600R | FL-50R |

Shooting since 1964

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post

and the two most relevant reasons
    - it's paid for and in my hands today!
    amen to that :-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well it will be mirror less. Amateur Photographer reported an interview with Oly's president: Sasa warned: ‘Moreover, if we are unable to complete the shift to mirrorless cameras, the very continuation of the Imaging Business will be threatened.'

Read more at Olympus boss feared scandal would finish company | Amateur Photographer

Thanks
    Feedback Score

http://www.43rumors.com/: "The sources confirmed that FT lenses focus as fast as MFT lenses"

The camera and lens will be announced on September 10 at 5-6 am London time! Sounds great.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

[QUOTE=Jarkko;624604]http://www.43rumors.com/: "The sources confirmed that FT lenses focus as fast as MFT lenses"-/QUOTE]
    Will it shrink them in size when fitted

Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Looking better and better. Only a few days until we get all the nitty-gritty details.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing reports from those who use it first. I had read in some of the specs that it has a 'low iso' setting. What I got from the reading is that you set the camera to 'low iso' and the camera then chooses the best iso. If that is true, and there is no manual setting of iso to its lowest value, that isn't going to work too well for me as when taking pictures of the local stream, I want a slow shutter speed and need that iso as low as it will go, which has been 100 on my E-5. Even then, I use a CP and an ND filter to get the shutter speed down to a few seconds, or more.
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I must admit, if it is an affordable body I might use it for everything outside of my sports shooting and keep the E-5 around for the larger longer glass and OVF. We'll see. Can't wait to see the images (from it not of it)!
    surfer Rob

E-5; EM5ii/14-35/50-200II/70-300/EC14/EC20/OM100 2.8/Leica m100-400/Leica m8-18

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kenwae View Post
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing reports from those who use it first. I had read in some of the specs that it has a 'low iso' setting. What I got from the reading is that you set the camera to 'low iso' and the camera then chooses the best iso. If that is true, and there is no manual setting of iso to its lowest value, that isn't going to work too well for me as when taking pictures of the local stream, I want a slow shutter speed and need that iso as low as it will go, which has been 100 on my E-5. Even then, I use a CP and an ND filter to get the shutter speed down to a few seconds, or more.
    Iso settings lower than the native iso for the sensor are usually referred to as "pulled" and will have lower DR than the native iso. IMHO you would be better off using a stronger ND filter.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yes, any camera that has ISO200 as lowest can be exposed twice as long as "normal" and then you pull the exposure down one stop. Since some highlights might get blown while taking overexposure it's DR is "lower" at this low-ISO.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score

theyre now saying US$1,399.00, and 2 spot for the grip

if thats right I underestimated by $99
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Has anyone said anything about what kind of battery it will have? Love to still get some good use out of all my BLM-1s.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Has anyone said anything about what kind of battery it will have? Love to still get some good use out of all my BLM-1s.
    I think it uses the new batteries introduced by the E-M5. If not, it will probably be yet another new incompatible type.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    theyre now saying US$1,399.00, and 2 spot for the grip

if thats right I underestimated by $99
    And clearly cheaper than my pessimistic prognoses.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Let's see....$1399.....doesn't that come out to around 16,000 Krone?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Depends on how greedy Olympus Norge is

$1399 is around 8500 NOK (Krone); €1399 is around 11250 NOK. We feared a price around 15-16000 NOK, but it looks like it can end up around 12000 NOK. That is an acceptable price for a body with great sensor, top-notch IS and weather-proofing that works.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    I think it uses the new batteries introduced by the E-M5. If not, it will probably be yet another new incompatible type.
    This is consistent with what I've read. It makes sense from the standpoint of O-MD as an integrated "system" but a bit disappointing, as the BLN1 is pretty anemic, good only for 400+ shots. I was hoping they'd capitalize on that big grip to cram a BLM5 in there. A reason, I suppose, to get the grip (which looks pretty nifty, with two control wheels).

One more day to the official reveal.

cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Not sure if you are going to like the numbers in Euros

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I was hoping they would use the BLMs too. I forgot to bring 2 charged batteries with me the other day and took my grip off to put the one I had in the camera. There was a noticable difference in focusing the 50-200SWD. I think the bigger lenses might need the extra juice of the bigger batteries.
    Brian
    Wife, 2.5 kids, house, a couple of cars, a big screen tv, etc.
    E3, HLD4, 9-18, 12-60, 50-200, 35-100, Sigma 30, FL36r
    EPL2, 20 f1.7, 4/3 14-42 & 40-150, OM 28 f2.8, 50 f1.4, 135 f2.8

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Uh..... no, you are right.