Thread: Travel kit to Iceland - thoughts?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Travel kit to Iceland - thoughts?

I'd be curious to see if my lens choices make sense to others that might have traveled to Iceland.

E-5 main body, E-30 backup body

I don't want to carry more than 4 lenses with me and I'm a bit perplexed. Mostly on taking the 9-18, 25 and/or 50. I'm biased towards taking the 50 as I love that lens so if I'm honest with myself it's between the 9-18 and the 25.

Would appreciate hearing others thoughts, I hate packing for these trips as I always feel like I'm missing something...

9-18mm
    *14-54mm as a general walk around lens
    25mm for low light and indoor images (not sure there will be much of that)
    50mm (my most used lens for portraits and macros)
    *50-200mm for reach when needed
    *EC1.4 light and easy solution to add a bit more reach

* = "must go" based on weather sealing and utility

What I have:
    8mm fisheye
    9-18mm
    14-42mm
    14-54mm
    Lumix 25mm
    35mm
    40-150mm
    50-200mm
    50mm
    70-300mm
    EC 1.4

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Travel kit to Iceland - thoughts?

Since you are taking the 14-54mm, 50-200mm, and EC1.4, I would only add the 25mm for the low-light situations.

If you need wider angles than 14mm; you can always take multiple images and stitch in post-process.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeansun View Post
    so if I'm honest with myself it's between the 9-18 and the 25.
    Me, I'd MUCH rather have a 9-18 for such a trip. I think a wide-angle lens is the best thing for such excursions.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Last spring I did two trips - to Iceland and the Farne Islands in the UK, I took a mixed Canon / Olympus system - the E5 for telephoto and the Canon for general purpose work. I had completely different experiences on the two trips, in Iceland there little demand for the telephoto except at one bird colony and all the keepers were from a general purpose lens including some stitched panoramas, so my advice would be to major on the wide angle. By the way if you have a waterproof camera take it into the Blue Lagoon.

On the Farne Islands the situation was completely reversed and I got some lovely keepers hand held with the E5 plus the ZD 70-300. I could not even think of carrying a stabilised Canon lens with that reach, let alone afford one!

Roger

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I would definitely take the 9-18mm. You have the other two focal lengths covered by the zooms so the choice between those two (at least for me) would be which you think you will be doing more of, macros or low light.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Since your main lens is the 14-54, I think you'll need a wide angle. When I traveled with a zoom that only has 14mm at the wide end, I always take a wide angle, so pick either the 9-18 or the fisheye, with the 9-18 of course being more versatile. If you had a 12-60, this would be a much tougher choice, but if you have the 14-54 I think a wide angle is almost a must have.

I don't think the 25mm is that useful. I don't think you'll be in a lot of situations where you'll need the low light performance over the 14-54.

Take the 50 as its your favorite lens. If you don't take it, you will miss it. Nothing I hate more than missing my favourite lens because I talked myself into not taking it with some stupid rationale. Its light enough. Though I have to say Iceland isn't really the place to shoot things like portraiture (unless its your family/friends) or markets, or stuff like that.

I also don't think you'll get much use out of that 50-200 unless you specifically go out and seek opportunities to shoot with it. In your place, if I took that lens, I would plan where there are some shooting opportunities ahead of time, or I would settle for the 70-300 or even 40-150. Last time I went on a 50 day trip around Europe (albeit, not Iceland) I was astounded at how little use my telephoto lens got, because it was my favourite. I also don't believe you need a backup body. The E-5 will not fail. I have been to 3+ month trips around the world as well as beyong the arctic circle at -40C with the E-410 and E-620 and never once have I had a camera failure.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds View Post
    Since your main lens is the 14-54, I think you'll need a wide angle. When I traveled with a zoom that only has 14mm at the wide end, I always take a wide angle, so pick either the 9-18 or the fisheye, with the 9-18 of course being more versatile. If you had a 12-60, this would be a much tougher choice, but if you have the 14-54 I think a wide angle is almost a must have.
    The question here, is of course, does OP take a lot WA photos? Personally, I find that my best landscape shots are taken in the 15-25mm range, or in the 75-150mm range. For me, WA would be of more interest when visiting the medieval cities in Europe with narrow streets. Iceland is after all mostly about landscape ...

The argunet for taking the 50mm is a good one. Always bring your favourite lens.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Good feedback, thank you!

I forget that Lightroom has a real quick way to review shooting habits (for the keepers anyway), a review was educational:

9-18 = 17%
    14-54 = 17%
    25 = 13%
    50 = 28%
    50-200 = 8%
    70-300 = 3%

I think the 25mm stays home this time for weight considerations as I suspect there will be more macro opportunities which calls me to use the 50mm which isn't horrible in lower light.

I will pack the 9-18 as it is light and small but will only use in good weather as the 14-54 paired with E-5 weather isn't an issue

The 50mm must go for reasons stated above and yes, I always miss it when I don't carry it

Hate the weight of the 50-200 for long hikes but since getting the E-5 it's performed much better than on other bodies. This is one of those that if I leave it home I just know I'm going to want something with the reach and it's also weather sealed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Would appreciate hearing others thoughts,
    Since you asked I'd never lug that much camera gear around and still call it a vacation.
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Since you asked I'd never lug that much camera gear around and still call it a vacation.
    It's when I am lugging at least that much gear; I feel that I am really on vacation

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Well, since the purpose of the vacation is to do some hiking and photography it wouldn't seem very logical to leave the gear behind...;-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    It's when I am lugging at least that much gear; I feel that I am really on vacation
    Yes, I agree - sore shoulders and feet are what tell me I really am on vacation. Sitting around drinking beer and scratching various places - well, that's what I do the rest of the year...
    Rich
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Well, hiking while bent under a bunch of gear doesn't sound appealing to me. Unless you work for Nat'l G. then it's a job. OMD + 12~50 and maybe the 40~150. That's it. Period. I prefer to enjoy the scenery with my naked eyes, not via an EVF. To each their own.
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Yeah, I was actually just kidding. In fact, I bought a Panasonic LX5 to take on a vacation myself, because I didn't want to lug around my Canon or even my Olympus DSLR.
    Rich

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Got my wife and LX5 to take to Scotland. Nice little camera. Makes the OMD look big.
    February Photos
    March photos

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Just in Iceland this week, have not been here before but glad I took my E-3. Raining all day and near Gullfoss (a famous waterfall) you get soaking wet even in sunshine (the moisture comes from the river/waterfall, and is worse than pouring rain). So minimum OM-D or E-5. At Gullfoss I needed to remove the protective filter from my 12-60 mm SWD lens as there was moisture between the filter and the lens. So be prepared for the moisture!!! Don't even dream anything less than OM-D or E-3/7(and I live in Finland so have some experience of nature). The most demanding place for gear I have experieced is Iceland.

You need a lot of batteries, too as a lot to photograph. So I carry HLD-4 all day execp in a restaurant.

Even in August (late summer) I recommend gloves and hat all day around. It's blowing over here - again good for E3 as you can use (some) adjustments with gloves. But worth a visit - but remember your winter clothes with you for August already.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

About lenses. You need wide angle - a bit worried you don't have wider than 14-54 with waterproof. But other than Gullfoss, you can protect the 9-18 with some plastic - just remember it's raining every day (been here 5 days and have seen the sun only once!). So definately consider a protectve bag against "normal" rain outside Gulfoss and other waterfalls - and don't even dream it there. I have't yet been to the glaciers (but will be going there this week), so cannot comment on that now.
    And yes, definately 50 mm if you own one. I have not yet used the 50-200 mm (or the 1,4 x I have with me) as 60 mm of my 12-60 mm has been enough. But that could be handy if you go whale watcing (or puffins but that is early summer). So mine has been at hotel so far. There is not so much birds if you are not an expert and know the places.