Thread: The Amazing E-1

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default The Amazing E-1

My Olympus E-1 was manufactured in October 2003. Today, I stuck a 1965 Leitz Summicron-R 50mm f/2 on it and went for my morning walk with friends.

Holy Cow! How can such an ancient camera and even more ancient lens produce such beautiful photographs?

Olympus E-1 + Leitz Summicron-R 50mm f/2
    ISO 800 @ f/2 @ 1/125 second

There's a fine line between great specs and a great camera.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: The Amazing E-1

Great photo.

But don't show it to the DXOmark fanboyz - the E-1 isn't supposed to be good at ISO 800
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    Great photo.
    But don't show it to the DXOmark fanboyz - the E-1 isn't supposed to be good at ISO 800
    Yeah, I know. Since LR 4 and Process 2010 version of the raw converter came out, the E-1 is now able to shoot even color at ISO 1600 or 3200 in a pinch.
    There's nothing like the power of good mathematics in digital photography... ];-)

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Yeah, I know. Since LR 4 and Process 2010 version of the raw converter came out, the E-1 is now able to shoot even color at ISO 1600 or 3200 in a pinch.
    There's nothing like the power of good mathematics in digital photography... ];-)

G
    Beautiful image. There is just something about the images from the E-1 that is hard to beat. I don't think I will ever sell m E-1 even though I have the E-3, E-5, and looking forward to the next camera.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Im sorry G. the topic name reads as an open invitation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1004609_503819036361757_231244539_n.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	46437

If you think about it, the E-1 has/had the oldest 4/3 sensor manufactured EVER.
    It just doesn't make sense it should be able to take a decent photo, especially if one is a influenced by modern marketing campaigns and "relevant" sensor tests.

The 30mm 1.4 Sigma makes the best photos on this body, it's the most consistent with focus and paints the most beautiful color signature then any other (non CCD sensor).

OtOH why my posted photos look like thumbnails, and mostly everyone's are proper (original) size ? I notice this behavior only on this forum.
    Last edited by darkesha; 08-25-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This thread makes me want to try out an E-1 I'm guessing you can get similar sensor performance out of a cheap E-400?

These things are so cheap I could pick one up just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    OtOH why my posted photos look like thumbnails, and mostly everyone's are proper (original) size ? I notice this behavior only on this forum.
    The way I do it, is I upload the picture, and then go to post preview where it shows the thumbnail. I open the picture in the thumbnail, then delete the thumbnail, and input the picture's I just opened URL in between IMG tags. Like this

Its a bit of a messy workaround, you could petition the admins to set bigger thumbnail sizes as thumbnails that small are a bit useless on a photo site.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.8 - 45mm f/1.8 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The E-1 was still on my desk this morning when I saw this shot and had to grab it...

Olympus E-1 + ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro
    ISO 400 @ f/3.5 @ 1/60 sec

Espresso on my birthday morning. Mmm.. ;-)

Posting photos:
    My photos are uploaded to Flickr.com. I use the Flickr tool to grab the BB display code, edit it in a code editor, than paste it into the editor here. Seems easy to me.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The E-1 was still on my desk this morning when I saw this shot and had to grab it...

Olympus E-1 + ZD 35mm f/3.5 Macro
    ISO 400 @ f/3.5 @ 1/60 sec

Espresso on my birthday morning. Mmm.. ;-)

G
    Hey Godfrey: Happy birthday!
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Happy birthday !
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Happy birthday Godfrey and I love your pics. Like you, I've found that LR4 (and now LR5) has breathed new life in my E1. I sold my E3 and E5, kept the E1 and my lenses, and am waiting for the EM1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

Happy birthday Godfrey and yes I enjoy it the combo results
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I just traded my E620 body for a 1 owner E-1 body with 7400 shutter actuations-
    Looks brand new - It was certainly well cared for -
    Anyone have a spare LCD cover kicking around? There is a supplier on
    EBay but he doesn't look to reliable-
    I will post some pics when I get her rolling! Can't wait-
    Monty
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    4/3 ◙ OMD E-M5♠ E-PL5♣ MMF-3 12-50 40-150R 14-150 75-300MkII -- 4/3 ◙ Good ol' E-1☺ 14-42 40-150 14-54MkII

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I think you can still get them from Olympus.. They're not expensive.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by flagman View Post
    Happy birthday Godfrey and I love your pics. Like you, I've found that LR4 (and now LR5) has breathed new life in my E1. I sold my E3 and E5, kept the E1 and my lenses, and am waiting for the EM1.
    Actually thats what im thinking about lately. I enjoy act of shooting much more with e-1 then any other body, and since photography for me is all about my enjoyment and not satisfying clients etc. I dont feel i need to keep much of any other 4/3 bodies.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Nice shot. I am still using both of my E-1's, and never "upgraded". Looking forwarded to getting back in the "field" as well as seeing what the latest LR version can do. Been down too long (helped care for my sick dad, who recently passed away).

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds View Post
    This thread makes me want to try out an E-1 I'm guessing you can get similar sensor performance out of a cheap E-400?
    When you can find them. the e400s are typically more expensive than the E-1 bodies. Reason... they were never exported into the US. The E400 was European issue only. I managed to find and purchase two. Presumption was that because they were also Kodak sensors and the largest MP size at 10Mp, they would deliver results better than the E-1. It took me two years of watching to find two E400's. Both came from the UK eBay site.

During the time I had both E400's, I also had three E-1's and two 14-54 I lenses.

In my experience the E400's with the largest latest Kodak sensor never came close to what I could expect from the E-1's. I also acquired two E-500's as well (also Kodak Sensor) and was equally disappointed in comparisons from that Kodak 8MP sensor to the E-1 5 MP.

The E-1, is the E-1 and not matched with any other Kodak sensor DSLR, including the E300, which I also used for some time, at 8 MP.

I now have a final E-1, and may pick up another. My regular carry is the E-PL5, but the E-1 gets used with regularity. I actually like it with the battery grip for comfortable holding, even compared to the PEN.

It is truly interesting to see how late LR and other software has enhanced the E-1 IQ.... gotta try that.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saichiez View Post
    When you can find them. the e400s are typically more expensive than the E-1 bodies. Reason... they were never exported into the US. The E400 was European issue only. I managed to find and purchase two. Presumption was that because they were also Kodak sensors and the largest MP size at 10Mp, they would deliver results better than the E-1. It took me two years of watching to find two E400's. Both came from the UK eBay site.

During the time I had both E400's, I also had three E-1's and two 14-54 I lenses.

In my experience the E400's with the largest latest Kodak sensor never came close to what I could expect from the E-1's. I also acquired two E-500's as well (also Kodak Sensor) and was equally disappointed in comparisons from that Kodak 8MP sensor to the E-1 5 MP.

The E-1, is the E-1 and not matched with any other Kodak sensor DSLR, including the E300, which I also used for some time, at 8 MP.

I now have a final E-1, and may pick up another. My regular carry is the E-PL5, but the E-1 gets used with regularity. I actually like it with the battery grip for comfortable holding, even compared to the PEN.

It is truly interesting to see how late LR and other software has enhanced the E-1 IQ.... gotta try that.
    The E-400 never had the ergonomics of the E-1, and its viewfinder was particularly small and dim. I'm sure its internal electronics were good, but not of the same grade as the pro-class E-1 (although later, and possibly faster).

Lightroom 5.2 RC is what I'm running now. E-1 raw files processed by this software are just superb.

A Tip:
    One quirk of the E-1 raw files is that the ISO range from 100-800 reflect what you expect at the defaults, but ISO 1600 and 3200 were implemented in software. So when processing in LR at these higher ISOs, you achieve them by automatically setting the Exposure slider up +1 and +2 EV by default. I've customized the LR Develop module defaults to do this automatically, as it can read the set ISO setting and adjust the default baseline from that setting.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Lightroom 5.2 RC is what I'm running now. E-1 raw files processed by this software are just superb.

A Tip:
    One quirk of the E-1 raw files is that the ISO range from 100-800 reflect what you expect at the defaults, but ISO 1600 and 3200 were implemented in software. So when processing in LR at these higher ISOs, you achieve them by automatically setting the Exposure slider up +1 and +2 EV by default. I've customized the LR Develop module defaults to do this automatically, as it can read the set ISO setting and adjust the default baseline from that setting.

G
    Thanks. Are you saying the ISO 1600/3200 were implemented in the LR software? I haven't had a chance to do much with LR yet, as it's on a different computer I don't have access to at the moment.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnF View Post
    Thanks. Are you saying the ISO 1600/3200 were implemented in the LR software? I haven't had a chance to do much with LR yet, as it's on a different computer I don't have access to at the moment.

Ann

It's the other way around. The E-1's extended ISO range is implemented by special software enhancements that Olympus' software implements. Lightroom recognizes the ISO setting but doesn't apply any enhancement, you have to add "exposure" to achieve the higher ISO setting.

The interesting thing is that Lightroom adjustments now produce better quality than the special software enhancements that are in the Olympus software for the E-1, a sign of the progress in image processing software over the past decade.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

It's the other way around. The E-1's extended ISO range is implemented by special software enhancements that Olympus' software implements. Lightroom recognizes the ISO setting but doesn't apply any enhancement, you have to add "exposure" to achieve the higher ISO setting.

The interesting thing is that Lightroom adjustments now produce better quality than the special software enhancements that are in the Olympus software for the E-1, a sign of the progress in image processing software over the past decade.

G
    Interesting. I'll have to do some experimenting.
    --------