Thread: Butterflies

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Butterflies

Lots of members post excellent photos of birds. I am a little surprised that very few people post butterflies which can be just as beautiful and varied. I was out at this last weekend and caught the attached. Quite tricky as they keep flapping their wings at just the 1,000th of a second when you press the shutter but easier than birds on the wing. I only had a few minutes to spare and fired off 17 frames expecting quite a high casualty rate. As it happens the very last is probably the best. E-30, Sigma 70-200 which is a semi-macro allowing me to stay back a bit and not frighten these critters, F5.6 to blur the background, manual focus, auto everything else, full frame, no post-processing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buddleia8976b.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	46445

My interest was as much in the buddleia which was in the middle of a forest where it has no right to be but has spread due to imported road stone. Buddleias are a non native pest species for us here in Scotland though the butterflies love them.

You are welcome to add your butterflies to this thread.

Mike
    E-M1, Panolygma 7-500 in several steps.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Re: Butterflies

Very Nice.. I try for butterflies, but haven't seen too many this year, except swallowtails.. and not a single monarch.. I'm thinking they may have not made it back up from the south this year... sometimes I think they are harder to shoot than birds, at least in good poses
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

That is really awesome! I have not seen any ether. I am planning a trip to Pismo beach in November. Its a 3 hr drive for me so not far. Also its a major migration for the Monarch butterfly in California. Hers a Link if your interested. Monarch Butterflies of Pismo Beach, California
    Mike

I have color vision deficiency so let me know if I screw it up...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

I used to shoot a lot of butterflies. I probably have more of those than anything else, besides hummingbirds. When I was in norther Florida I counted and shot 14 different butterflies in my back yard (all with the E-1). I have also seen more Swallowtails flying around.

Nice shot. Reminds me of a large moth with his fat body. Most butterflies have a different pattern on the outside of the wing than the inside. Pretty cool.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum