Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just pre-ordered the E-M1

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Just pre-ordered the E-M1

Thots:

Based on what I see in reviews and videos so far, the AF responsiveness with my FourThirds SLR lenses will be fine for my needs. I'll have no issues with the sensor sensitivity either, based on the same research.

The launch deal includes either the flash or the MMF-3 adapter. I have an MMF-2, but I want to use the 11-22 lens so the weather-sealed MMF-3 will be a welcome addition to my kit ... might as well have the full weather sealing setup long as I'm paying for the privilege. ;-)

Ugh ... I'll likely need to get yet another wired remote. They went to the RM-UC1, I have the RM-C1 for the E-1/E-3/E-5. And a spare BLN-1 battery. Oh well. Too bad they didn't keep consistent with the previous pro-grade bodies on those things. Might not need the remote as much, though, due to the WiFi control interface to iPhone or iPad..

I need a quality Leica R to Micro-FourThirds lens mount adapter too, either Rayqual or Novoflex. (I have Leica R lenses from 50 to 180 mm to play with on this body, super stuff.)

Hmm. I wonder when Lightroom will support it, and I wonder how quickly Acratech or whomever will produce an Arca-Swiss compatible tripod plate for it. Soon, I hope.

Time to shuffle some money into my spending account and place orders...

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just curious, and a couple of questions to the forum.

1. Will the EM-1 come with little pocketable slip in flash that is bundled with the Pens? If so, that makes the adaptor/flash argument somewhat moot.

2. I am assuming that my FL50 flash , RF-11 and TF-22 flash setups will all work (with appropriate 4/3 lenses attached to the latter two)? Again, that makes the flash/adaptor decision moot.

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Just noted an important change at Dpreview AF first impression article. Dpreview originally suggested that the AF of 43 lenses was *slower* on the E-M1 than on the E-5. It now seems like they have changed their opinion: they state that their first claim was based on “memory” of using E-5, not actual comparison. After reusing 43 lenses on the E-5, they tend to suggest equally fast AF for 43 lenses on E-M1 as E-5.

Olympus E-M1 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review
    Last edited by Jarkko; 09-12-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zippski View Post

1. Will the EM-1 come with little pocketable slip in flash that is bundled with the Pens? If so, that makes the adaptor/flash argument somewhat moot.

2. I am assuming that my FL50 flash , RF-11 and TF-22 flash setups will all work (with appropriate 4/3 lenses attached to the latter two)? Again, that makes the flash/adaptor decision moot.
    I see no information anywhere on either of these two things, but I don't think that they've obsoleted the existing flash system components. I expect my FL36 (your FL50) and Olympus remote cable to work as they have on all my other FT and mFT bodies. I'm not familiar with the RF-11 and TF-22 flash setups.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The RF-11 and TF-22 depend more on the lens than on the body. The TF-22 works very well with the 60mm macro lens on an E-M5 but you have to buy the adapter for it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've spent money now. The wait begins. Didn't I do this with the E-5 in 2010? ... Deja vu.

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 09-25-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

...all over again!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Just noticed that the E-M1 manual shows an FL-LM2 mini flash unit as being in the box.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Back from fondling the E-M1 at the camera shop.

- Nice, tight, solid feel.

- Without the HLD7 fitted, it's a little small in my hands (I take an L-XL glove size) for medium to larger lenses. With the HLD7 fitted, it feels very nice indeed. The control spacings and buttons are nicely placed and just big enough to work easily.

- I tested my ZD 35 Macro and ZD 11-22 zoom on it. If there's a difference in focusing speed between it and the E-5, I'm not sensitive to it; it's certainly faster than the E-1 or E-PL1—neither are the fastest focusing lenses in anyone's bag. Focusing accuracy seems very good, for the 16 quick point-and-snap photos I made, they are all but one right on the money.

- ISO 800 produces very good results, and the stabilization worked a treat at 1/10-1/20 second.

- It's hard to tell you're looking at an EVF: the viewfinder is very clean, very transparent. I can manually focus either of the above lenses easily without bothering with either magnification or peaking assist in most cases.

- Lightroom 5.2 imported the .ORF files without a hiccup, and for it's being "preliminary", the colors look very accurate and well-balanced.

Glad I ordered one. After handling it with and without, I ordered the HLD7 battery grip as I know I'll want it.

Regards a body+lens kit, the Olympus representative could not say anything substantive. As of the present time, the 12-40/2.8 lens has been pushed to end of November/early December delivery, and there is no kit bundle to talk about.

Nice camera. I'm going to enjoy it. :-)

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Back from fondling the E-M1 at the camera shop.
    Regards a body+lens kit, the Olympus representative could not say anything substantive. As of the present time, the 12-40/2.8 lens has been pushed to end of November/early December delivery, and there is no kit bundle to talk about.

Nice camera. I'm going to enjoy it. :-)

G
    Were you at Keeble & Shuchat this morning? If so, our paths almost crossed.

What I saw also confirmed my pre-order decision. Focusing on 4/3 ZD 50-200mm and 50mm macro lenses was plenty fast for me (I'm not a sports or BIF shooter, though). And I was quite pleased with the IQ of some ISO 3200 shots taken in the store; noise on low light / high ISO photos with my E5 has been a long-standing problem for me.

The Olympus rep was definite to me that there will be no EM1 kit offerings at this time (presumably for the US, maybe wider). Just the body. This recent decision is due to production issues for the 12-40mm lens. He said they never expected to offer the 12-50mm lens as part of a kit. As for future kit offerings...he said he had no information about that. He did confirm the rebate on your choice of adapter or flash.

----------------------

Photo website: www.symbiote.smugmug.com

E-3, E-5, E-M1
    12-60mm SWD,
    50-200mm SWD,
    ZD 50mm f/2.0, Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Panasonic/Lumix 25mm f/1.4
    Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 FE
    Misc OM & FD lenses
    EX-25, EC-14, EC-20, Canon 500D
    FL-36R, FL-50R, Yongnuo 560-II
    FL-BKM03 Twin Bracket

Induro CX-213 tripod,Velbron ballhead
    Gitzo G1564L monopod

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tetragnathid View Post
    Were you at Keeble & Shuchat this morning? If so, our paths almost crossed.

What I saw also confirmed my pre-order decision. Focusing on 4/3 ZD 50-200mm and 50mm macro lenses was plenty fast for me (I'm not a sports or BIF shooter, though). And I was quite pleased with the IQ of some ISO 3200 shots taken in the store; noise on low light / high ISO photos with my E5 has been a long-standing problem for me.

The Olympus rep was definite to me that there will be no EM1 kit offerings at this time (presumably for the US, maybe wider). Just the body. This recent decision is due to production issues for the 12-40mm lens. He said they never expected to offer the 12-50mm lens as part of a kit. As for future kit offerings...he said he had no information about that. He did confirm the rebate on your choice of adapter or flash.
    Yes ... I rolled in there around 11:15 and left just before noon. I had specific goals in mind which ended up with me ordering the grip too.

I actually ordered the body and MMF-3 directly from Olympus (I had some open vouchers with them on some other business that saved me a bit of money). My rebate paperwork for the MMF-3 Mount Adapter all set up and authorized already, just waiting for the body and MMF-3 to arrive so I can attach the box codes and mail it out.

I'm pretty excited by this camera. It is so close to what I envisioned Olympus doing the day I first got the Panasonic G1 it is uncanny, only I think they did it even better than my fantasy.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Oh, I should add that the rep demoed the wifi setup with a tablet. I thought it was really impressive and seemed to work flawlessly. Pretty good update rate, too; a guy walking toward the camera in the store only had a slightly jerky gait on the tablet.

I can see the wifi setup being useful to me in a lot of ways. I'll probably use my iPod Touch to control the camera, and I might get a tablet so that when I'm acting as a docent on nature walks people can see my macros of little critters much better than they can by squinting at the camera display.

----------------------

E-3, E-5, E-M1
    12-60mm SWD,
    50-200mm SWD,
    Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 FE
    Misc OM & FD lenses
    FL-BKM03 Twin Bracket

Gitzo G1564L monopod

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Godfrey and Jack, thanks for sharing your experiences and for confirming my thoughts about the E-M1 and grip. Glad I pre-ordered both.
    Ken610

4/3: E-5 x2, HLD-4 x2, E-520, E-1, 9-18, 12-60 SWD, 14-42, 14-54 I, 18-180, PL 25/1.4, 25/2.8, 35-100/2, 40-150 II, 50/2, 50-200 SWD, Bigma 50-500, 70-300, 90-250/2.8, 150/2, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20, EX-25, FL-50r x2, FL-36r, Jobu Jr, Jobu HD2.
    m43:: E-M1 3x, HLD-7 x2, 12-40, E-M5 Black, E-M5 Silver, 12-50, 12-40, 75-300 II, PL 14-140 II, 9-18, 17/2.8, 14-150, PL 100-300, PL 14/2.5.
    Other: XZ-1, PT-050, UFL-1, UFL-2, TG-1, all stored in a big bolted to wall gun safe!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Godfrey,
    I quote...."- It's hard to tell you're looking at an EVF: the viewfinder is very clean, very transparent. I can manually focus either of the above lenses easily without bothering with either magnification or peaking assist in most cases."
    I have never thought of you as one taken to exageration. Is it really THAT good? If so, well....... ouch!
    Maybe I can find someone going to the US sometime because the price here is simply unreasonable.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Leigh
    zippski
    The user's manual says nothing about FL50 or FL36, but today at the camera-shop demo, the Olympus rep assured me that both are supported by the EM1.

----------------------

E-3, E-5, E-M1
    12-60mm SWD,
    50-200mm SWD,
    Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 FE
    Misc OM & FD lenses
    FL-BKM03 Twin Bracket

Gitzo G1564L monopod

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tetragnathid View Post
    The user's manual says nothing about FL50 or FL36, but today at the camera-shop demo, the Olympus rep assured me that both are supported by the EM1.
    Here is the official Olympus page on flash compatibility:
    PEN series Compatibility Table - OLYMPUS Digital Camera

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Godfrey,
    I quote...."- It's hard to tell you're looking at an EVF: the viewfinder is very clean, very transparent. I can manually focus either of the above lenses easily without bothering with either magnification or peaking assist in most cases."
    I have never thought of you as one taken to exageration. Is it really THAT good? If so, well....... ouch!
    Maybe I can find someone going to the US sometime because the price here is simply unreasonable.
    The EVF is very very good. I had only a little while to work with it .. For what I tried, it was better than even my Nikon F plain prism with A screen, which is saying a lot. I could easily focus both my lenses, even the 11-22 down to nearly the widest setting, without enabling any assists.

You should find a shop that has them on preview and give it a try.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ever since I got the E-PL1 in 2010, I could not get rid of the feeling is was using 2 different systems. The ingredients looked the same, but it tasted different nonetheless. Whenever I could, I simply took the trusted E-30 camera with me alongside the E-PL1, just in case and to make the most of the older FT lenses, especially the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD. So much for mFT/FT being a compact system. And a clear example of a photographer (me) making up an excuse for lack of ability (a good photographer can make the best of any piece of kit, so he/she needs just 1 camera and 1 lens on a given day).

When I got the EM-5 I was very happy with it's performance and added features, but again mostly using mFT lenses. Since by that time I'd also gotten the 45mm, 17mm and the 40-175mm Pany, I felt one of the 2-systems was comming around nicely. But, still the E-30 came along whenever it could. More so, when I got a great deal on a ZD 150mm F/2. I just couldn't make a choice.

My trips last summer were the first time the E-30 just stayed at the hotel most of the time. The 17mm/45mm/12-50mm/40-175mm on the E-M5 were the perfect travel kit and all was well. So I made the decision to sell my old FT gear when I got back home. For me mFT was complete.

Oly must have heard me saying that. The EM-1 seems to be the 'glue' I needed to finally merge the 2 systems in 1 complete package. Sure, I have overlapping lenses now, but I also have more options when choosing gear for a given day. Big/heavy, medium, light or ultra-compact. So it seems I'm sold. The pricing is a little steep, but it's been that way for as long as I've been using Oly.

Can't wait to get my hands on it.
    E-30/E-PL1/OM-D E-M5/E-M1
    ** Micro 14-42mm ** Micro 45mm f/1.8 ** Micro 17mm f/1.8 **
    ** 40-150mm II ** 9-18mm ** 12-50mm **
    ** ZD 150mm f/2 ** 12-60mm SWD ** 50-200mm SWD **
    ** Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ** EC-20 ** Two FL-36R **
    ** Samyang 85mm f/1.4 ** OM 50mm f/1.8 + f/1.4 **
    ** Leica Elmarit 180mm f/2.8 ** Vivitar 35-70mm f.2.8-3.5 **
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thx1138sgl/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

There's a photo in the link below of the E-M1 with the 300 2.8 on it if you want to see what it looks like.

The OM-D E-M1, New PRO Lenses and 2014: An Interview with Olympus Europe | MirrorLessons - The Best Mirrorless Camera Reviews 2013
    Brian
    Wife, 2.5 kids, house, a couple of cars, a big screen tv, etc.
    E3, HLD4, 9-18, 12-60, 50-200, 35-100, Sigma 30, FL36r
    EPL2, 20 f1.7, 4/3 14-42 & 40-150, OM 28 f2.8, 50 f1.4, 135 f2.8

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

If I wasn't still struggling to pay off the D800E and 24-70 f2.8 (will be done by end of Oct, phew!), I would be preordering something. I think the combination of rumored weaker or no AA filter in E-1M plus the reputed IQ of the 12-40 might be enough to wean me from the D800 back to m4/3. I love the D800 files and the way it handles, but it is a brick to carry, in contrast I love the E-5M every time I pick it up, and it is pure joy to shoot with, but so far the IQ has not quite been there, the fault of the m4/3 zooms rather than the sensor, IMO.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Don't especially enjoy shooting 4/3 lenses on the E-M5 (other than the 7-14, which is a hoot) due to the poky focus response, but when I do the output is a distinct improvement over what even the E-5 can produce. The E-M1 and 12-40 are going to shift the 4/3 paradigm upward to the benefit of the whole format.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I just preordered the E-M1 from Adorama last night. I didn't order the adapter as
    I didn't realize that in order to qualify for the rebate I had to order it at the same time.
    I have been looking on ebay and found a Chinese adapter (m4/3--4/3) for about $40.
    Has anyone tried one of these Chinese adapters?
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

Thanks
    Feedback Score

From what I have heard they are fine. All metal as opposed to the metal/plastic Olys.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    I just preordered the E-M1 from Adorama last night. I didn't order the adapter as
    I didn't realize that in order to qualify for the rebate I had to order it at the same time.
    I have been looking on ebay and found a Chinese adapter (m4/3--4/3) for about $40.
    Has anyone tried one of these Chinese adapters?
    No experience with the inexpensive Chinese adapters. Some are "dumb" adapters, basically allowing you to use mount adapters for FourThirds SLRs on the mFT bodies without any electrical connections. I doubt that any are weather-sealed like the MMF-3.

I'd just go back to Adorama and cancel the order, presuming they haven't shipped, then place another order for camera and MMF-3. Read the rebate offer specifics before you place your order.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That is true. The Chinese knock-offs are not weather sealed, although they do have the electrical contacts.