Thread: Forum has been Compromised

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Forum has been Compromised

Hi All,

I wanted to keep you all updated with what we have discovered regarding the strange things that have been happening with posts over the past month.

We have found that the forum has in fact been hacked. The hack occurred in early August. We are still working on determining how the hacker compromised the system and working on resolving any issues that we have found that the hacker has created.

I will keep you updated. In the meantime, it might be a good idea for you all to change your account passwords.

Regards,
    Emily

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Forum has been Compromised

Thanks for the update - I have changed the password, just in case.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi All,

I am pleased to update that the malware that had been installed on the forum has now been removed and the forum is no longer able to be accessed by these people.

To remove the malware we unfortunately had to revert to a clean vBulletin version which has removed some of our customisations we had made and therefore you may see some strange things happening. Please if you do see strange things happening, update this thread or send me a PM so that I can have our vBulletin expert have a look at it.

One of the unfortunate things that has happened due to the malware is that two of our oldest users have lost all their posts, we are doing our best to re-instate their accounts and posts but unfortunately with the nature of a forum that is updated all the time we may not be able to do this successfully.

It is going to take us a few days to iron out any problems that have occurred since yesterday when we did the fix, so we thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    Emily

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Thanks for the update!
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5