Thread: Keeping or selling your old body?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Keeping or selling your old body?

I've never owned more than one camera body with the exception of also having a point-and-shoot, and having ordered the new release, am wondering if after it comes it's worth hanging onto the E5 or selling it used to a friend or online. It's nice to have a back-up just in case, but at the same time I'm not a pro who needs two bodies when going out for such things as weddings and probably wouldn't take two bodies when traveling, and hate to have something collect dust. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1
    70-300, 9-18, 12-60, 50-200, Olympus Zuiko 300 f2.8, EC 14 & EC 20, shutter remote, FL 50

www.fatherpaul.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Keeping or selling your old body?

I have always at least two bodies. Currently I have 5 - E-30, E-P1, E-PM1, G3 and GF2.

It is mainly the E-30 and G3 that gets any use.

Edit: I forgot - I have an E-420 too ...

It is like Lawrence mentions; they aren't really worth any.
    Last edited by tomsi42; 09-12-2013 at 01:50 PM.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I still have my E-10, E-1, E-3 and I will probably keep my E-5 when I get the new camera too.

I just can't see selling the used cameras for the low prices they bring. Besides I would not sell one of my lenses with a body, and I expect that anyone who would want a body would want a lens also.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

keep it, if they aint making 4/3rds anymore it wont be worth selling anyway, besides the fact I am sure it will still focus your old lenses better, and battery will last longer than this new body.. I'm worried about selling the EM5 already and I just bought it, I see them new for 849 now, you wont know if you like the EVF yet either.. I hope the screen is bigger in the EM1 than EM5?, but you definitely cant see as well as you can with the E5 OVF... but if I do get the EM1 its going, my E5 I will keep.. I also have a like nnew E3 with less than 1000 clicks, I will probably keep that also cause they just dont get that much for them used now to justify.

Another thing I'm still trying to figure out is how to stop the last picture review in the EVF, that has messed me up trying to refocus on a bird in flight every time, as long as I dint release the shutter all teh way it wont do it, but if I let off on it bang there is the last image, by the time it clears the bird is gone out of the VF and I have to start all over, even birds jumping from branch to branch it messes me up on.. maybe there is a way to turn it off but if so I cant find it... anyway till you use the new body long enough to decide, I would hold onto the E5, you may be switching back.. although the IQ and higher ISO capability on the new sensor is so good its hard to go back also, but right now focus is more important to me.. what good is a noiseless out of focus image .. looking forward to seeing yours and others bird shots using it with the longer lenses
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

E-510, E-3, E-5, E-P3, E-M5. Wrong person to ask.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It was shooting the E-30 and E-510 together that forced me into getting the E-5, rendering the 510 a drawer orphan. Still have it becaue it has bascically no value, other than perhaps if my kid gets interested in photography.

Next, the E-M5 replaced the E-30 as my second camera, meaning two drawer orphans. It, too, has limited value so I've not been compelled to try selling it. This stuff piles up, however, and eventually I'm going to need the room.

Fact is, digicams depreciate blindingly fast and I never consider one an "investment" beyond an investment in a creative tool. Lenses, OTOH, generally hold value pretty well.

Cheers,

Rick
    Last edited by Rick_D; 09-12-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ive still got everything right back to E300
    not sure theyre worth a lot anyway
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Paul, I always have bodies plus the TG-1 with me when I'm out shooting, except for just taking a casual walk. And I much prefer having two identical bodies, so I do not have to re-learn everything when I switch between them. I'm keeping my E-5s until a successor(!) comes along. I use the E-5s for bird and whale shooting with SHG glass, and the E-M5s with m4/3 glass for travel, where important shooting is not my main goal.

When my pre-ordered E-M1 arrives, I'll test it pretty thoroughly, and if it is good as is seems, get another and likely sell both E-M5s, as they will become redundant. I still have some older bodies, since they will not fetch enough t make sense.
    Ken610

4/3: E-5 x2, HLD-4 x2, E-520, E-1, 9-18, 12-60 SWD, 14-42, 14-54 I, 18-180, PL 25/1.4, 25/2.8, 35-100/2, 40-150 II, 50/2, 50-200 SWD, Bigma 50-500, 70-300, 90-250/2.8, 150/2, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20, EX-25, FL-50r x2, FL-36r, Jobu Jr, Jobu HD2.
    m43:: E-M1 3x, HLD-7 x2, 12-40, E-M5 Black, E-M5 Silver, 12-50, 12-40, 75-300 II, PL 14-140 II, 9-18, 17/2.8, 14-150, PL 100-300, PL 14/2.5.
    Other: XZ-1, PT-050, UFL-1, UFL-2, TG-1, all stored in a big bolted to wall gun safe!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's under record view, find the wrench and change it there.

Quote Originally Posted by JimUSNY View Post
    keep it, if they aint making 4/3rds anymore it wont be worth selling anyway, besides the fact I am sure it will still focus your old lenses better, and battery will last longer than this new body.. I'm worried about selling the EM5 already and I just bought it, I see them new for 849 now, you wont know if you like the EVF yet either.. I hope the screen is bigger in the EM1 than EM5?, but you definitely cant see as well as you can with the E5 OVF... but if I do get the EM1 its going, my E5 I will keep.. I also have a like nnew E3 with less than 1000 clicks, I will probably keep that also cause they just dont get that much for them used now to justify.

Another thing I'm still trying to figure out is how to stop the last picture review in the EVF, that has messed me up trying to refocus on a bird in flight every time, as long as I dint release the shutter all teh way it wont do it, but if I let off on it bang there is the last image, by the time it clears the bird is gone out of the VF and I have to start all over, even birds jumping from branch to branch it messes me up on.. maybe there is a way to turn it off but if so I cant find it... anyway till you use the new body long enough to decide, I would hold onto the E5, you may be switching back.. although the IQ and higher ISO capability on the new sensor is so good its hard to go back also, but right now focus is more important to me.. what good is a noiseless out of focus image .. looking forward to seeing yours and others bird shots using it with the longer lenses

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    It's under record view, find the wrench and change it there.

Thanks Ned.. it drives me crazy! mine was set for 3 seconds!
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I sold my E-5 when I no longer needed it for the business that I closed, but I kept my E-1 as it wasn't worth much to sell and I still love using it, even if I only do so rather rarely.

But I have more cameras and camera junk floating about than I care to inventory... I doubt I'll run out of something to shoot with in my lifetime even if one or another camera goes belly up every year, and I bought nothing new.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just keep it then as a back-up and to have on hand, one never knows. The initial focusing reports though seem to be good from what little I've read. Time will well.
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1
    70-300, 9-18, 12-60, 50-200, Olympus Zuiko 300 f2.8, EC 14 & EC 20, shutter remote, FL 50

www.fatherpaul.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I would rather sell the old body and buy another lens for the money or something. I sometimes have an old body after I buy a new one, and if I am happy with the new camera it always gets relegated to the drawer where it is never pulled out again. So I have gotten into the habit of selling.

Even if the new body breaks or gets stolen... no way I am going back to the old one. I just get a new one really quickly. The performance leap is enough to never go back to the old stuff, more than a curiosity.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Never been tempted to sell my old bod(y).....
    Last edited by Daniel Bradley; 09-13-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Its worth for keeping other type of the lens while shooting.

If one has EM1, the other one can have 50-200 for some opportunities that don't require 1200 equiv.
    Or you mount 9-18 for some landscapes you wouldn't bother to take if you didn't have lens already mounted.
    Second body is useful as long as it doesn't stay in the house.
    That's why Im bringing 3 bodies to my LA trip tomorrow (All m4/3).
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

When I am out and doing some "serious" shooting, I use two bodies, usually one with a normal zoom and one with a tele-zoom. Or a fixed lens on one and a zoom on the other.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I have the E-1, E3, and E5 bodies although I only actively use the E-1 and E-5. I don't plan to give up any of them although I'm not tempted to go with the EM-1 at this point. I heavily invested in the 4/3 lenses, both HG and SHG and for the pictures I take the old bodies are fine.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

If your sure its just going to collect dust sell it while its still worth something. Invest in a lens, grip, new bag, something that will actually get used.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I just bought the E-M5 and have no intention of selling it, nor buying the E-M1. The E-M1 is the first pro m43. I expect them to get even better over time. Plus I truly love the body style of the E-M5. I also have the E-3 and the E-500. I have no plans to sell them either. I sill really like the E-3.