Thread: Summilux-DG 25mm on Olympus bodies

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Summilux-DG 25mm on Olympus bodies

I received the new Summilux 25 I ordered. Since my E-M1 is not yet here, I tried it out on the E-PL1. The iris snaps open and shut, loudly, quite a lot as you pan around with it. It's more than just annoying ... I'll send the lens back and buy something else if this is the case with the E-M1.
    The last time I tried this lens was with a Panasonic G1 body and I don't recall it doing this.
    I'm trying to find out if this behavior is specific to the E-PL1 or whether the Summilux on the E-M5/E-M1 operates more smoothly and quietly. I'll be grateful for any info that Summilux 25 users have to offer.
    thanks!

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: Summilux-DG 25mm on Olympus bodies

I think the term you want to search for is "rattlesnaking". Probably there's discussion over on dpreview about whether recent Olympus bodies have shown improvement in this behavior.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Summilux-DG 25mm on Olympus bodies

Quote Originally Posted by bg2b View Post
    I think the term you want to search for is "rattlesnaking". Probably there's discussion over on dpreview about whether recent Olympus bodies have shown improvement in this behavior.
    Someone on the DPR mFT forum reported that the Summilux still behaves this way on the E-M5, but more recent models have an option to turn off "flicker reduction" which as a side effect stifles the Summilux' rattlesnaking. The E-M1 has this option, not the E-M5.

I'm debating it. I don't know that I want to deal with a lens that I have to disable a useful camera feature to use ... if disabling it really does solve the problem ... and if the feature is actually useful. It's a pain that I have to make these decisions...

G