Thread: Recommended lens for OM-D E-M1 for indoor photography hand-held.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Recommended lens for OM-D E-M1 for indoor photography hand-held.

I am uncertain whether Panasonic or OM lenses have software correction built into the E-M1, so I'll have to stick to 4/3 or m4/3.
    I'm looking for the "best bang for the buck" in lenses.
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Recommended lens for OM-D E-M1 for indoor photography hand-held.

Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    I am uncertain whether Panasonic or OM lenses have software correction built into the E-M1, so I'll have to stick to 4/3 or m4/3.
    I'm looking for the "best bang for the buck" in lenses.
    Micro-FourThirds lenses have lens correction parameters stored in them, independent of the bodies, and transfer that data to the bodies when used. The E-M1 will read it from either Olympus or Panasonic lenses as it is a standard part of the Micro-FourThirds lens protocol specification.

There are several choices depending on what FoV you are looking for. One of 12mm f/2, 17mm f/1.8, 20mm f/1.7, 25mm f/1.4, or 45mm f/1.8 would be my guess as to what suits you, if you want a very fast prime lens, from ultra-wide to portrait telephoto.

For me, I chose the Summilux-DG 25/1.4 ASPH. It has one issue, though: the iris is constantly making a loud "chit-chit" sound as it scans from dark to light areas and the aperture mechanism is trying to compensate. I understand that if you turn the "flicker reduction" setting to OFF this will stop, but my E-M1 body hasn't arrived yet to test it out. (The E-PL1 I'm testing the lens on doesn't have the option to disable flicker reduction.)

If I cannot get this lens to stop chattering like that, I'll return it and buy the Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8. The wider FoV is probably advantageous for indoor shooting anyway.

G

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfrey For This Useful Post:

BobT (04-16-2017)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I read that the E-M1 will have chromatic aberration correction for each lens. I'm assuming that this only applies to Olympus lenses.

Olympus took a step further by having the E-M1 to recognize each individual lens separately, and apply the relevant corrections in
    correspondence to that particular lens only. Each lens profile information (applicable to Olympus lenses only) has been stored within the E-M1,
    and as the lens is used the FDP2 will adaptively correct the lens flaws. Also, the level of JPEG sharpening will be applied varyingly depending
    on which lens being used. http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2013/1...ison-with.html
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Panasonic Micro-FourThirds lenses all supply chromatic aberration correction factors, as well as geometric correction factors. Most Olympus Micro-FourThirds lenses only supplied geometric correction factors. So of course they've now built a library for all Olympus lenses into the E-M1 that includes corrections for all the mFT lenses as well as (hopefully) all the Olympus FT SLR lenses.

If they're NOT honoring the in-lens correction parameters supplied by the Panasonic lenses, they're not living up to the specification of the mount standard properly. Of course, they may well have done even more optimizations than the spec requires for their own lenses ... that would make sense if you were building your top of the line body to work with your native and FT HG and SHG lens system.

Remember also that the specifics of the adaptive sharpening, etc, applies to what the camera processes internally. If you capture raw data and process in an external raw converter, AND it's not the Olympus raw converter, you will not get anything not provided by the Micro-FourThirds lens correction protocol specification anyway. That means Lightroom, Camera Raw, Capture 1, Iridient Raw, RPP, etc. ... none of them will provide the customized raw conversion and JPEG processing that the E-M1 body can do.

In my experience, all these in-camera customizations don't really amount to much unless you really like how a particular engineering group's rendering ideas work. I much prefer to output raw files and process them the way I see fit in Lightroom.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have the 12mm f/2 for this purpose and it works exactly like its supposed to, and is one of the sharpest lenses in the whole lineup. The form factor makes it one of my take-everywhere lenses. I have already shot countless times at ISO1600 and f/2.

The only disadvantage is price.

I also find it ridiculous that Olympus is incapable of matching the color of its flagship silver lenses with the color of the silver EM-5. The 45mm f/1.8 matches, but the more expensive primes don't. The camera is more like grey, and the lenses are champagne. When mounted on the camera the colors are obviously completely different. Somebody in Olympus has been reading Fifty Shades of Grey way too much. This of course, wouldn't be an issue if you could get a black camera and black lenses, but the 12mm f/2 in black is limited edition and more expensive.
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds View Post
    I have the 12mm f/2 for this purpose and it works exactly like its supposed to, and is one of the sharpest lenses in the whole lineup. The form factor makes it one of my take-everywhere lenses. I have already shot countless times at ISO1600 and f/2.

The only disadvantage is price.

I also find it ridiculous that Olympus is incapable of matching the color of its flagship silver lenses with the color of the silver EM-5. The 45mm f/1.8 matches, but the more expensive primes don't. The camera is more like grey, and the lenses are champagne. When mounted on the camera the colors are obviously completely different. Somebody in Olympus has been reading Fifty Shades of Grey way too much. This of course, wouldn't be an issue if you could get a black camera and black lenses, but the 12mm f/2 in black is limited edition and more expensive.
    Think the 12/2.0 is my favorite system lens so far (of five total). It's just a gem and for my needs, a great focal length.

As to color, lens to lens I presume it's the difference between metal plating and paint on plastic--they're simply going to look different. I don't know whether the body color is paint, lacquer or what (once upon a time it was chrome on brass) but it could be that it's not possible to match it to plated metal. Mine's black, so it's moot to me. I just want them to work. Confess I love the tactile feel of the metal 12 versus the humble plastic of my others.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I generally buy black camera bodies. Then the lens finish color matters much less. But I tend to buy black finished lenses too, anyway.

I spend much more time looking through my cameras than looking at them. A nice looking camera is nice. A camera that works beautifully is better.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_D View Post
    Think the 12/2.0 is my favorite system lens so far (of five total). It's just a gem and for my needs, a great focal length.

As to color, lens to lens I presume it's the difference between metal plating and paint on plastic--they're simply going to look different. I don't know whether the body color is paint, lacquer or what (once upon a time it was chrome on brass) but it could be that it's not possible to match it to plated metal. Mine's black, so it's moot to me. I just want them to work. Confess I love the tactile feel of the metal 12 versus the humble plastic of my others.

Cheers,

Rick
    AFAIK the color of the silver 12mm f/2 and 75mm f/1.8 perfectly match the silver E-PL5.

The 45mm f/1.8 perfectly matches the E-M5.

I think its just another case of the arm not knowing what the leg is doing!! IMO, an almost standard feature of Olympus ownership.
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

What a tricky question. I saw some good information here fixthephoto.com These guys made nice review about your issue. I hope it will help you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Hi Mary. Glad you have joined this forum. However, just want to mention that you have resurrected an OLD thread here. There is really nothing wrong with doing this, but I do think it is something to be aware of and perhaps try to avoid. It can often happen when you do a search and then look thru the results, find something to respond to, and then notice later that the thread was very old. Just trying to be helpful .
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32