Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-M1, Ugly or Not?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default E-M1, Ugly or Not?

I must say first function before looks. I remember when the NEX series came out and all of the ugly comments it got. But it grew on people and performance over shadowed looks. The E-M1 is pretty dang ugly but with the grip it certainly blings up some. It's amazing what a grip will do. So. Ugly or not?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: E-M1, Ugly or Not?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are some butt ugly cameras out there for sure. Personally, I'm having some issues with the aesthetics of the OMD series, can't say why since I loved the looks of the OM series. Like you said, function trumps form. There is a certain beauty to truly functional things.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Ugly? Not!

But not elegant either. But it looks very functional with the important controls where they should be.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I like the texture on the E-M5 better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Opener-800px.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	46525
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I haven't seen either camera other than in a photograph but whilst the em5 is a very pretty camera, the em1 looks a more serious, built for purpose camera, and as such I think it looks great.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The photos don't make my heart go pitter-pat, but then Oly designs tend not to. Exception for the XZ compacts, which I think are lovely.

Had I been an OM shooter I'd probably do somersaults over the OM-Ds but I wasn't so there's no nostalgia button to push. The E-M5 is handsome enough in person, and the E-M5 may well be too, but it doesn't photograph especially well. A lot of cars don't either, but then in person manage to look "just right." If the E-M1 makes my lenses work then it'll rate a "10."

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Its a machine for taking photos.
    All I see is through the viewfinder. Don't care what people looking in the opposite direction think.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Don't know what made them put that BU protruding grip on it
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

As long as it isn't pink and make me look too weird when shooting, I don't care to much as to how the camera looks.

I like the grip as when I am not shooting, I hold my E5 with the tips of three fingers on the grip holding my camera at my side.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think most of them have been as ugly as dawgs for a long time
    by far the prettiest is M5
    even the OM theme has been duffed up a bit by the 'prism' going out of the original parameters
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Only two things concern me; what I see through the viewfinder and the ergonomics. The Leica M3 was visually in a class by its self but it was not the best ergonomically by today's standards. The Leicaflex-SL was the solidest, most serious and classy looking bit of kit around at the time, and it was even worse to hold for extended periods of time with its typically heavy lenses. But it was great to look through and work with. Times have changed. More thought is given to ergonomics. Things have been rounded off more and "modernized", but Oly has harked back a bit to the past, for whatever reason. The OM-Ds do stand out and I think both are very nice looking. I don't like the way the E-M5 feels in the hand though, and I don't like the viewfinder, but I have do hopes for the E-M1.
    Point is, I remember how aghast we were as kids when the '58 Chevy came out. It was so ugly compared to the '56 and '57, especially the back end. But they both were capable of getting us to the little league ball park. Once you were sitting in it, you couldn't see it's ugly butt.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

[QUOTE=Daniel Bradley;625639
    Point is, I remember how aghast we were as kids when the '58 Chevy came out. It was so ugly compared to the '56 and '57, especially the back end. But they both were capable of getting us to the little league ball park. Once you were sitting in it, you couldn't see it's ugly butt.[/QUOTE]
    It looks spectacular now with time though Daniel!
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yuck!

Of course, the next year they went right over the top with those huge gull wings!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    I must say first function before looks. I remember when the NEX series came out and all of the ugly comments it got. But it grew on people and performance over shadowed looks. The E-M1 is pretty dang ugly but with the grip it certainly blings up some. It's amazing what a grip will do. So. Ugly or not?
    I disagree. I prefer cameras that look right ergonomically, they usually work right too. The only thing I didn't like about the E-M1's looks when I first saw it is that it looked too short for my hands. The moment I picked it up, I knew this was in fact true. Fit the HLD7, and it both looks great and feels right.

My Hasselblad ... now that's a gussied up industrial lump. But shoot with it for a day and you realize its very beautiful. ;-)

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Remember how ugly the Nikon SP was compared to an M3? I had one for a while before I got my M3. The little focus wheel was practical though, but it looked an felt tinny compared to the M3.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I disagree. I prefer cameras that look right ergonomically, they usually work right too. The only thing I didn't like about the E-M1's looks when I first saw it is that it looked too short for my hands. The moment I picked it up, I knew this was in fact true. Fit the HLD7, and it both looks great and feels right.

My Hasselblad ... now that's a gussied up industrial lump. But shoot with it for a day and you realize its very beautiful. ;-)

G
    yeah hows it go, if it looks right it will probably be right
    thing is quite a few look unbalanced because theyre striving for extreme objectives

the overall plot to EM5 is is the OM heritage, but they added extreme small at the same time
    its really little bigger than a Pen, with a flip screen and EVF housing added

so now they had created the problem of too small a top deck for the control suite theyve already decided on
    so they have to pinch the prism housing in at the sides making it look proportionally too small, too tall too narrow on 'OM' lines
    that should have told them, its just too small to fit a complicated control set to such a small body

there are a number of other ergonomic disasters that await,
    like the right row of buttons get fouled by the right hand just trying to operate the camera
    GH2 is similarly flawed, you have to operate the thing with a carrot sized invisible grip in your right hand
    but unlike M5 it is also brutally ugly at the same time

perhaps as a result of GH2, GH3 reflected a completely new strategy
    it reminds me of the beautifully ergonomic later Leica R Series from the front profile with its ramping top deck
    but they went there own way from there
    but then GH3 is quite a bit larger than GH2, so somebody was paying attention

you can have small, or you can have ergonomically capable cameras
    as yet you cant have both

interestingly the size comparison tool now has M1 listed
    M5 and M1 comparison from the rear
    http://j.mp/14Ck0fl

bit of a news flash,
    this is what Sony FF NEX looks like
    http://www.dcfever.com/news/readnews.php?id=9156
    Last edited by Riley; 10-07-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: additions
    Riley

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Riley,

I never liked the E-M5 because no matter how I put my hands on it, my fingers were running into something they shouldn't. From the first minute it annoyed me.

The E-M1 is completely different for something that looks so similar. It fit my hands perfectly from the moment I picked it up with button and control positions. Small changes make a big difference.

G

(If that's really the NEX FF thing, there's too little space between the grip and the lens for my fingers to rest comfortably. I can tell that immediately from the picture.)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Riley,
    I never liked the E-M5 because no matter how I put my hands on it, my fingers were running into something they shouldn't. From the first minute it annoyed me.
    My experience with the E-M5 too. In additions the placement of the control wheels feel very wrong to me. The build quality and IQ is nice though.
    Last edited by tomsi42; 10-07-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Fixwd important typo
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    My experience with the E-M5 too. In additions the placement of the control wheels feel very wrong to me. The build quality and IQ is nice though.
    The E-M1 wheels feel much more similar to the E-1 wheels than the E-5 to me, and I love the E-1.

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 10-07-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: corrected to match original post with typo correction

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

They feel much more similar to the E-1 wheels than the E-5 to me, and I love the E-1.
    Just goes to show how different perceptions can be.

G
    I meant the E-M5, not E-M1. Sorry for the confusion.

I haven't had the time to fondle an E-M1 yet

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    I meant the E-M5, not E-M1. Sorry for the confusion.

I haven't had the time to fondle an E-M1 yet
    LOL! Got it, I corrected my response. :-)

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

As an engineer I almost don't care what it looks like so long as it works. That said I was disappointed with EM-5 harking back to something it is not. Not that I have handled one but my initial thoughts are that the EM-1 really is a big step onwards technically and looks great to me.

Mike
    E-M1, Panolygma 7-500 in several steps.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

The grip on the E-M5 makes all the difference in the world. Without it I hate it, with it I love it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    The grip on the E-M5 makes all the difference in the world. Without it I hate it, with it I love it.
    yes because it rolls the fingers forward on the camera
    which moves the inside palm of the hand beyond the buttons
    and brings the thumbs reach closer to the right hand side and control group seen from the rear

thumb dexterity is much more important to service on digital cameras than it ever was with film cameras where all it does is operate the advance lever. Bit of a problem when your chosen fashion is to emulate a film camera.

The layout on E5 gives a good clue as to an ideal situation, where it is quite far inboard. Of course you cannot maintain those distances on a narrow top deck where you have to have a central EVF position too

Im sure that the fashion of M5 brought a lot of trade Oly's way as it strikes a chord with a lot of buyers in what they expect a camera to look like.
    But it also brings with it control problems not present on the original bodies. The addition of the even more retro grip was a worthy idea to fix this, making all things live in harmony.
    Riley

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Haven't handled an EM-1 yet. Didn't care much for the feel of the EM-5, with our without the grip. As far as looks go, I think the EM-1 looks just fine. There are a lot of "ugly" cameras out there. I don't consider the EM-1 to be one of them. Ultimately, I find the looks of a camera to be a lot like your nose; it's there in front of your face but you don't see it. If it works fine, all is good.
    Capturing the beauty of nature, one frame at a time.

Prints available @: http://double-s-posure.smugmug.com; http://stan-wojtaszek.artistwebsites.com

E5, E30, E-510, 9-18, 14-54, 14-42, Sigma 105, 50-200, EC14, FL50R and a bunch of other stuff.