Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GX7 ... thots and such

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default GX7 ... thots and such

The HLD-7 battery grip for the E-M1 arrived at the store, I went there to pick it up before driving to the office. While there, I noticed they had the Panasonic GX7 back in stock and I had a chance to play with it.

- The body is very nice just as it is ... good to hold, doesn't need a grip extension, etc.
    - It seems fast and easy to get around in the menus.

The let-down is likely relative to what I've "become used to" ... Compared with the E-M1 EVF, the GX7 is definitely a significant step down. The clarity is there, but it seems small and dim by comparison to what I get out of the E-M1. The illusion of being an optical viewfinder is lacking.

I do like the built-in viewfinder articulation and the overall feel of the GX7 body, but the GX7 is definitely "prosumer" where the E-M1 is definitely "pro grade".

With the HLD-7 fitted, the E-M1 is the next step beyond the E-1, E-3, and E-5 DSLRs with overall better performance and operation. I'd put the GX7 as being a good follow-on to the L1 ... a prosumer grade DSLR, but not quite up to the level of the E-1 as a pro grade camera.

Glad I went the way I did in buying the E-M1. I suspect that I'd be looking for "the next better thing" with the GX7, where the E-M1 has the legs to keep me happy for some time to come.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: GX7 ... thots and such

The GX7 and E-M1 are very two different beasts. I have used quite few Olympus and Panasonic bodies; and they do a lot of things differently, many times rather subtly.

Having used the Olympus E-420, E-620, E-30, E-P1, E-M1, Panasonic GF1, GF2, GH2 and G3 (and tested the GH3 and 6), I am not sure where I want to go. The E-M1 will be a good vehicle for my 4/3 lens collection; but I like the compact size of GX7 better, and are prepared to replace the 4/3 lenses with -4/3 versions. The Panasonic menues are easier to use, and I prefer the way Panasonic presents the info I want in the EVF. The Panasonic menu system is also easier to understand.

E-M1 has a much better viewfinder; but I think the GX7 is good enough for me - I have no problem with the one on G3. The Olympus IBIS is clearly better than the one in GX7; but if I go for the GX7, I will also go for the Panasonic Pro zooms which are stabilized. And the ones I have used are good enough for my use.

I think you are right in saying that the GX7 is "prosumer" camera and the E-M1 is "pro grade". I think I fit better in the "prosumer" category, so I guess that is why the GX7 appeals to me.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I am getting excited about the E-M1. I was a little late getting the pre order in so I guess I wait. How does the batteries hold up? If I am going to do time lapse I need lots of shooting time. I am also getting a grip.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    The Olympus IBIS is clearly better than the one in GX7
    I would have expected so too, but I came across this comparison between GX7 and E-M5 the other day which gave me some pause. (Personally I'd be more worried about shutter-shock issues with the different IBIS implementations than absolute effectiveness, since I tend to use the 1/60-1/125 range a lot.)

link

Thanks
    Feedback Score

They are not meant to go toe to toe - as observed they are not in the same class, price wise or otherwise.

GX7 vs EP-5 vs XE-2 vs Nex7 is where Panasonic is aiming this camera. Anyone who wants to drop $1000 for this kind of a body has lots of choice, and I would definitely go for Panasonic.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    I am getting excited about the E-M1. I was a little late getting the pre order in so I guess I wait. How does the batteries hold up? If I am going to do time lapse I need lots of shooting time. I am also getting a grip.
    It's too early and I've shot too little to know for sure what the averages are, but my first charged battery in the E-M1 lasted for about 550 exposures. I have been working with the second battery, but now I've fitted the grip and its battery.

My dealer is happy. He's getting stock and it's selling quickly. Now waiting for his third shipment.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    My dealer is happy. He's getting stock and it's selling quickly. Now waiting for his third shipment.

G
    EM-1 or GX7 ?
    I really wish GX-7 becomes commercial success. If not, Im afraid Panasonic might kill their camera division. It seems they put EVERYTHING they had, and everything market wanted in this body and if that's not enough, I can't see them hanging around for much longer.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bg2b View Post
    I would have expected so too, but I came across this comparison between GX7 and E-M5 the other day which gave me some pause. (Personally I'd be more worried about shutter-shock issues with the different IBIS implementations than absolute effectiveness, since I tend to use the 1/60-1/125 range a lot.)

The GX7 vs the OM-D E-M5, battle for my affection, Round 1 IBIS, EVFs & LCDs
    So far I haven't seen anything that I can call shutter shock with the E-M1.
    I've had IS Auto on all the time and just been snapping away. I checked through 200 exposures made at 1/60 to 1/200 second.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    EM-1 or GX7 ?
    I really wish GX-7 becomes commercial success. If not, Im afraid Panasonic might kill their camera division. It seems they put EVERYTHING they had, and everything market wanted in this body and if that's not enough, I can't see them hanging around for much longer.
    We were talking about the E-M1 at the time. He had a couple of GX7s in stock, but I didn't ask whether they'd just come in or what.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    call me Arg

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    So far I haven't seen anything that I can call shutter shock with the E-M1.
    The trouble is, it's a lottery when you buy Oly at the moment. Not every EP5 has it, but some do. Not every EM5 has it, but some do. Not enough EM1 units out there, with owner reports hitting the boards, to make a call yet. But there is definitely a design issue here, and it's not being addressed - at least not openly.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    call me Arg

Oly camera division would go before Pany IMHO. Only one of the two has massive debt to finance, only one has investor confidence smashed by executive fraud, and only one is completely dependent on still camera sales for its market share. Plus, only one is subject to direction by Sony -- anybody remember Minolta?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Agreed it has the advantage of 5 axis IS over the GX-7 but that has to be tempered with the thought that the 2 axis sensor is easily cleaned by the owner whereas cleaning of the 5 axis seems to be a no no by all accounts.
    Regards Paul
    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

I saw a GX7 test which showed that IBIS performance was much better than advertised; there it was a close race between the GX7 and the E-M5/E-M1. I will try to find it again.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

They are not meant to go toe to toe - as observed they are not in the same class, price wise or otherwise.

GX7 vs EP-5 vs XE-2 vs Nex7 is where Panasonic is aiming this camera. Anyone who wants to drop $1000 for this kind of a body has lots of choice, and I would definitely go for Panasonic.
    What about the GX7 versus the E-M5? It seems to me that they are also in direct competition, even more than with the EP-5. I mean, for example, both the E-M5 and the GX7 have built-in viewfinders, and I think are about the same price. I am considering the E-M5, so I'd like to know what people think about this versus the GX7. I'd like to use my old 4/3 lenses on any m43 camera I got, but kind of wonder if I'd eventually replace them all with m43 lenses anyway (i.e. I don't have any hg or shg 4/3 lenses except the hg 14-54mm anyway, so it's not like it would kill me to replace them).
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    What about the GX7 versus the E-M5? It seems to me that they are also in direct competition, even more than with the EP-5. I mean, for example, both the E-M5 and the GX7 have built-in viewfinders, and I think are about the same price. I am considering the E-M5, so I'd like to know what people think about this versus the GX7. I'd like to use my old 4/3 lenses on any m43 camera I got, but kind of wonder if I'd eventually replace them all with m43 lenses anyway (i.e. I don't have any hg or shg 4/3 lenses except the hg 14-54mm anyway, so it's not like it would kill me to replace them).
    I have used the 14-54mm on older -4/3 bodies as well as the E-M5. And the performance is not blazing; rather sedate in fact. If you consider getting -4/3 glass, then the GX-7, E-M5, and E-P5 are good alternatives.

I don't like the handling of the E-M5; the control wheels are in a strange place. GX7 is much better there. Also the E-P5 has better ergonomics than E-M5, but lacks a built-in EVF. There will probably be an E-M5 replacement next year - I hope it will be E-P5 controls with E-M1 sensor/AF in a E-M5 styled body.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    There will probably be an E-M5 replacement next year - I hope it will be E-P5 controls with E-M1 sensor/AF in a E-M5 styled body.
    Yeah, that's kind of why I haven't bought anything yet. A replacement E-M5 with focus peaking, hybrid sensor, etc would be right up my alley. Thanks for the info.
    Rich
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It's pretty stupid to quote yourself, but it looks like I was right - Panasonic might be abandoning m4/3...If they haven't done something like this in past, I would have been more skeptical but with their history, Im pretty sure they might be quitting the m4/3 market.
    But let's see what happens.
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

It's pretty stupid to quote yourself, but it looks like I was right - Panasonic might be abandoning m4/3...If they haven't done something like this in past, I would have been more skeptical but with their history, Im pretty sure they might be quitting the m4/3 market.
    But let's see what happens.
    It might be that Panasonic will be abandoning m4/3. But if that happens, I am sure they will quit the camera market all together.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Did you see the hyperlinked link....they are going to partner with Leica...yet another mount...not sure about sensor size.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Did you see the hyperlinked link....they are going to partner with Leica...yet another mount...not sure about sensor size.
    Yes, I seen that rumor. But to be honest, I think the marked is already oversaturated with new mounts.

The only sensible new mount in a Leica-world, that I can think of, is an updated M-mount that supports AF.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Godfrey, how would you say the GX7 EVF compares with the E-M5 EVF if you have a basis for comparison?
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by olddigiman View Post
    Godfrey, how would you say the GX7 EVF compares with the E-M5 EVF if you have a basis for comparison?
    I've only spent a very little time with the E-M5, and only a few minutes with the GX7, so I'm reluctant to make an evaluation.

Don't get me wrong: the GX7 EVF is really quite good. It's just that the E-M1's EVF is the head of the class, and more configurable as well. (I've taken to using it in EVF Style mode 1, which is much more like the E-5 optical reflex viewfinder information layout. Less stuff overlaying parts of the image, less distraction.)

G

BTW, I frankly don't believe for one instant that Panasonic is going to drop mFT or get out of the camera business at all. If they're partnering with Leica on a Leica specific lens mount system, well, good for them. Leica goes its own way, and they've been partnered with Panasonic for volume manufacturing since the late 1980s ... Panasonic is a huge company and can afford multiple, parallel different efforts like this. They're better at it than Sony, far as my experience shows.
    Last edited by Godfrey; 12-05-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Yes, I could see Panasonic staying with m43 and also do this Leica thing. The link even says, "The new Leica system will not compete against the MFT system but play a role in a much more higher and more expensive market." (emphasis mine). I do hope that Panasonic sticks with m43. It helps give legitimacy to it, IMHO, and since m43 seems to be on a roll right now (with the new Oly offerings being widely praised), it would be a shame if Panasonic threw a monkey wrench into the works.
    Rich

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    call me Arg

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    The link even says, "The new Leica system will not compete against the MFT system but play a role in a much more higher and more expensive market." (emphasis mine). I do hope that Panasonic sticks with m43.
    Surely this rumour is not the basis for people predicting Panasonic are about to abandon 4/3? It's barely even close to suggesting it, even if one has a wish to read between the lines.....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

EM-1 or GX7 ?
    Interesting thought that.

Frankly, I've never been able to consider Panasonic a camera company. I did buy and try the DMC-L1 and the 14-40 lens. Loved the lens, was passive on the camera. Never purchased or held any other Panasonic digital.

On that thought, I don't think I ever captured an image on film in a Panasonic Camera???

I guess I'm just used to seeing Panasonic on my consumer electronics, car radios, stereos and televisions, but not my camera's. Won't miss them if they go away, except for their addition of lenses with stabilization and working with Leica (Lumix).

OTOH, I've toted around Olympus Cameras since the Olympus 6 folder and Many OM variations, plus all the clamshells starting with the XA. Also owned almost all the Olympus rangefinders over the reign of such camera's. Favorites being the RD and SP35.

Name recognition in the camera market is just not as strong for Panasonic. Just my opinion. FWIW