Thread: While everyone is moving forward, I seem to be heading backwards....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Cool While everyone is moving forward, I seem to be heading backwards....

Hello all...

Long time no post on this forum (not by intention, I assure you).

Needless to say that over the past 4-5 years, we've seen rapid advancements in both 4/3 and micro 4/3 design technologies. And these advancesments have achieved new quality levels never before anticipated. And yes, in keeping with tradition (and my unofficial status an an international camera slut), I've kept up with various releases over the years. When Panny and Oly made the move to micro 4/3, I didn't miss a beat and started jumping into the fray - and I've been very satisfied with the format. As an aside, my current micro 4/3 collection includes the E-M5, E-P3, E-PL5, GF1, GX1, and G5. On the regular 4/3 side of the house, I still have my trusty E-1, E-3, and E-30.

Alright, so where am I heading with this post? As some of you may know (those that have posted on various Olympus forums over the past 10-12 years), I've been privy to a wide range of different brand digital cameras. And for the most part, I've enjoyed them all (actually, over 91 different digital cameras since 1998). Yet as I age - and as I've filled my brain-housing group with a history of having shot with so many different cameras - there is one specific camera that I keep coming back to (regardless of MP count) that continues to set a standard for IQ levels (to this day). And I think some of you may know where I'm headed....it's the E-1.

Periodically, I'll reach for my E-1 - to which I have the awesome Panny/Leica Vario 14-150 OIS attached - and wind up doing a photo shoot. I never worry or focus on the fact that it only has 5 MP's. This particular body and lens combo ensures that images appear as though they've come from an 8-10 MP camera (the Panny/Leica 14-150 - at least my copy - is so sharp, that at times it renders results like a prime, plus adds OIS to the E-1). And in each instance, I'm rewarded with a wealth of images that defy description.

I realize that the DR and high ISO scenarios leave lots to be desired with the E-1 - after all, it's pushing 10 years old now and considered beyond ancient. And yes, I've been spoiled many times over with the smaller sizes (and light weights) of the various micro 4/3 releases. But damnnnnnnnnn....every time I pick up the E-1 (with grip), I am rewarded with a myriad of good, familiar feelings - the feel of the camera, the way it sits in the hand, etc.

So over the past few weeks, I went about searching for another pristine E-1 as a back-up (or better yet, as an extra should my current E-1 ever die, knowing that it can no longer be serviced). So I purchased another one from a kind gent in Canada (I live in North Carolina) and it was as mint as a brand new, right out of the box model, with only 1100 actuations. And for the body (firmware updates completed) and grip, I only paid $250 (at least I thought this was a good price).

So now, I'm seemingly moving "backwards," while most of the world is looking forwards. Psychologically, we are attuned to look forward...to embrace the next best thing (and I've been a big player here). But results matter, and regardless of all the cameras I've used, I've come to realization that I should ignore the popular norm and embrace what I feel to be a wonderful instrument, regardless of the times. So now I'm reaching for the E-1 more and more and it's been a renaissance of sorts for me. Of course, it also reminds me of the "happier" days on the various forums where folks discussed photography rather gear and comparison of tech specs and features.

Two weeks ago I did a photo shoot of an Autumn event at a large local winery/vineyard operation. I showed the results to the winery owners and all they could say were "ohhhhh, those colors - how gorgeous?" "What camera did you take those with, and so forth..." I only told them that it was with an Olympus Camera. I didn't tell them it was a 10 year old, 5 MP model (because they were expecting more, I imagine). But again, it's the results that matter. Now would I use the E-1 to shoot high ISO scenarios...hell no! I'd take the E-M5 with me for that. For the majority of situations (which encompasses over 90% of my situations), the E-1 continue to do just fine.

Heck, knowing that the E-1 is no longer serviced by Oly, I "may" actually initiate another ridiculous action, and that is to possibly look for a 3rd E-1 body. Am I mad? I suppose I am, but if enjoying the likes of this remarkable (yet ancient by today's standards) camera - the one that started the whole 4/3 movement - then I'll gladly admit that I'm off my rockers...

So I'm now seriously considering selling off many of my cameras (keeping the likes of the E-M5 because of it's superb DR and high ISO capabilities), and then enjoying (that's the key word here..."enjoying") a camera that seemingly withstands the test of time - the remarkable E-1.

So in closing, I'd have to recommend to those of you who once had an E-1 (and loved it, but have since sold it), or to those who have never owned one - by all means, get one while you still can - the prices are great. You too will experience a renaissance of sorts. And despite it being an "ancient" model by modern-day standards, the IQ results are still often nothing less than stellar, in particular those Kodak CCD colors - that's the key. So good hunting if you so choose to do so.

OK - I'm done here - just had to rant, I suppose.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Re: While everyone is moving forward, I seem to be heading backwards....

(Pssst........The E-10 started the movement)
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Re: While everyone is moving forward, I seem to be heading backwards....

I had two e-1's at one point. I bought one of them for $100. I made money when I re-sold them, but I wish I would have kept one. That was a fantastic camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Are you sure it was the E-10 (did the E-10 have a 4/3 rd's sensor)? I had assumed it was the E-1. Interesting, if correct. I had the E-10 once also - great little camera, but painfully slow, although the 4 MP's were superb.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by benherrmann View Post
    Are you sure it was the E-10 (did the E-10 have a 4/3 rd's sensor)? I had assumed it was the E-1. Interesting, if correct. I had the E-10 once also - great little camera, but painfully slow, although the 4 MP's were superb.
    The E-10 and E-20 baited the hook and the release of the E-1 set the hook.

I still have my original backup E-1.
    E-1
    E-5
    EP-3
    EPL-1
    EM-5
    Pen F
    M8.2
    M9-P
    M 240
    Dlux 109
    M-6
    Enuff lenses to supply the world.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've spent a lot of time and money looking for the 'right' cameras to use. The E-1 has been one of those for some years now, the M9 complements it nicely. The E-M1 now adds to it as well. I suspect that within a short period of time, these three will be all the digital cameras in my closet ...

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

And in each instance, I'm rewarded with a wealth of images that defy description.
    It would be nice to see some of those "images that defy description" as I can't recall any exceptional images I have captured with my E-1. In fact, I am going to put my very low shutter count E-1 up for sale soon as I am more enamored with the excellent landscape detail and rich colors I get from my E-PL1 Pen camera.
    E-1, E-PL1, E-M5

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hello all...

Long time no post on this forum (not by intention, I assure you).
    Well - in all that time you weren't here on this forum, the topic like yours was written on average every (few) months.
    I believe I wrote at least few.
    That's just to say that there are users who do see, believe and experience E-1 magic.

To me, the quality of photos I get from E-1 as compared to others is good, not exceptional, but bonding between me and camera is truly one of a kind. No other camera makes me feel good shooting it, with others (E-5, m4/3 bodies) it's always more of an obligation. With E-1 it's pleasure each and every time.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The E-1 was the grand-dady of the movement. The E10 was a decent camera but it had a tiny sensor and the zoom lens was not detachable. The quality of the output had a LOT to be desired too, not at all in the league of the first 4/3 body, the E-1. Hey, but that's all history now.
    I don't ever miss the E10, nor the E20, but when nobody is listening I do have to admit that I have a nostalgic twist in the gut over the E-1. It may not be the best in any sense of the word, compared to the 4/3 stuff after it, but as a whole package, placed in its time, and as an alternative to the staple of the industry, it was something special, something beyond the numbers, something unequaled.

Or am I just getting to be an old sentimental fool?
    To find the answers - question them!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

I still have and use my 2 E-1's ALL the time. I've had a rough few years and will be here more often, I promise (moved back east and will settle in N.C. next week) : )
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I was going over some of my older shots just hours ago, ones that are punchy and organic/real are e-1 - each and every time. Not sure if its due to contrast + saturation or just ccd sensor qualities over cmos but its due to something.

Now i feel like leica owners praising leica "look".
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it