Thread: Lightroom Question

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Lightroom Question

I just realized I now have to spend more money to upgrade LR to 5 so it will support the EM1 files... I would like to start with only one catalog as I have now.. it appears LR5 did not auto convert my old catalog into LR5, or I did something wrong on install.. I want to be able to import my old catalog into the lr5.. I did imports all the files, but lots all my previous adjustments.. want to dump the old catalog as its 15GB in size, if I do an import it just converts and opens the old catalog and doesnt put it in my LR5 catalog? in other words I want it to include the previous adjustments.. should I just delete the new catalog, then import the old and rename it or something? if thats possible?
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Lightroom Question

Do you still have LR4 on your machine, and are the adjustments still there?
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Be sure you're using LR 5.2.
    Open the old catalog with LR. LR will copy it, then upgrade it.

If you want to reduce what you're working with to a subset of the catalog, then select what you want to work with and use the "Export as catalog" function. You will be given the option of copying original files, previews, and smart previews. Once you choose what you want, and it completes, open that catalog and set it to be the default that opens when you start LR.

Does es that make sense to you?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You can open the LR4 catalog by holding down the Alt key (Option on Mac) while Lightroom is starting and then choosing the LR4 catalog. It will ask you if you want to convert the catalog.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have never had a problem doing things as Godfrey describes. The process has worked flawlessly moving from LR2 to LR3 to LR4 and now to LR5. You don't need to export and import, far to messy and unnecessary.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Same experience as John. Although LR will create a backup of the cataolog before converting, my practice is to make a backup and stash that somewhere before going head with the conversion and the conversion-related backup.
    ODM
    ----------------
    Recent photos: http://www.ahfairley.com/gallery/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=fad9c02a1f
    E-10, E-M5, 20mm, PZ 14-42mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A very good idea, always have a backup.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Yes I still have LR4 not going to uninstall till I get LR5 all set... I will try Godfreys suggestions ... but I already converted the old catalog so maybe its no good with lr4 anymore anyway?
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JimUSNY View Post
    Yes I still have LR4 not going to uninstall till I get LR5 all set... I will try Godfreys suggestions ... but I already converted the old catalog so maybe its no good with lr4 anymore anyway?
    Whenever Lightroom updates a catalog file, it makes and leaves a copy of the old version in place. (That's the .LRCAT file in the catalog folder.) So you should always be able to open the old catalog with the previous version of Lightroom. To save space, LR doesn't completely re-make the .LRDATA file/folder ... that's where all the previews are stored ... so you'll find that if you open the old .LRCAT file with LR4, it will have to regenerate all the previews.

Similarly, if you open the old .LRCAT file with LR5 again, it will convert it again but this time it will have to create all the previews.

Depending on how many images are in your catalog, generating all the previews can take a long time. My "in-progress" LR catalog has 87,000 image files in it, so regenerating the entire preview set is at least an over-night effort for a fast computer with lots of RAM installed. The in-progress .LRCAT file is 1.8G in size, the (normal, standard size) .LRDATA previews are 23G in size.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Whenever Lightroom updates a catalog file, it makes and leaves a copy of the old version in place. (That's the .LRCAT file in the catalog folder.) So you should always be able to open the old catalog with the previous version of Lightroom. To save space, LR doesn't completely re-make the .LRDATA file/folder ... that's where all the previews are stored ... so you'll find that if you open the old .LRCAT file with LR4, it will have to regenerate all the previews.

Similarly, if you open the old .LRCAT file with LR5 again, it will convert it again but this time it will have to create all the previews.

Depending on how many images are in your catalog, generating all the previews can take a long time. My "in-progress" LR catalog has 87,000 image files in it, so regenerating the entire preview set is at least an over-night effort for a fast computer with lots of RAM installed. The in-progress .LRCAT file is 1.8G in size, the (normal, standard size) .LRDATA previews are 23G in size.

G
    Yep I just started, 89,0000 photos, but only about half are raw files if that makes any difference.. looks like its going to take a while.. Wish I waited and started before going to bed, but its 1/3rd done so I am not going to cancel it.. by the way is there a way to put the catalog somewhere else besides my main drive? should be able to just copy to another SSD drive and open it from there right? want to get it off my MAIN OS SSD since I do a lot of deleting?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yep I just started, 89,0000 photos, but only about half are raw files if that makes any difference.. looks like its going to take a while.. Wish I waited and started before going to bed, but its 1/3rd done so I am not going to cancel it.. by the way is there a way to put the catalog somewhere else besides my main drive? should be able to just copy to another SSD drive and open it from there right? want to get it off my MAIN OS SSD since I do a lot of deleting?
    yes, just copy the whole catalog folder anywhere you'd like and open the .LRCAT from there. I'm presuming your image files are somewhere else on disk .. ?

I have my catalog folder on the startup drive (~/Photography/Catalogs/in-progress) and my image files on an external volume (/Volumes/Balog/Photo-Files/...).

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    yes, just copy the whole catalog folder anywhere you'd like and open the .LRCAT from there. I'm presuming your image files are somewhere else on disk .. ?

I have my catalog folder on the startup drive (~/Photography/Catalogs/in-progress) and my image files on an external volume (/Volumes/Balog/Photo-Files/...).

G

yes all my images and back ups are on a pair of regular hard drives, just trying to keep as much writing and erasing off my main ssd.. the other ssd I use cache and other things I want to access fast.. since I had it I figures I may as well use it and if it goes bad I can create a new one easy enough.. been about two years on my OS SSD.. I am thinking of getting another bigger one and cloning the OS SSD before it starts failing.. I have heard two years may be pushing it on SSD?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have no idea how long an SSD lasts. My work computer is all SSD, I've had it over two years and it seems to be going strong.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

hello, i am a newbie!I am very happy to be one of this forum!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

An SSD should last much longer than 2 years. If you fill up an SSD with data, then delete all that data, and repeat the process continuously - it takes approx. 2.5 years before the cells starts to wear out. So in real life, the lifespan should be much greater.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    An SSD should last much longer than 2 years. If you fill up an SSD with data, then delete all that data, and repeat the process continuously - it takes approx. 2.5 years before the cells starts to wear out. So in real life, the lifespan should be much greater.
    well that sounds better, I do very little deleting on the main OS drive other than what the programs do themselves and maybe uninstalling something, so hopefully it will last a long time.. was thinking of getting a bigger one, but maybe I dont need it.. mine is 128GB with probably 20GB free once I move these catalogs.. by the way my import is still running.. started after work yesterday was about 10 percent left to go when I went to bed, but computer hibernated sometime last night so still at about that same spot

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

well that sounds better, I do very little deleting on the main OS drive other than what the programs do themselves and maybe uninstalling something, so hopefully it will last a long time.. was thinking of getting a bigger one, but maybe I dont need it.. mine is 128GB with probably 20GB free once I move these catalogs.. by the way my import is still running.. started after work yesterday was about 10 percent left to go when I went to bed, but computer hibernated sometime last night so still at about that same spot
    The general rule for SSD is to have at least 20% of free space - the reasoning is that this lets the trim and wear leveling functions work optimally; at least that's my understanding of it.

It's probably cheaper to add another smallish SSD disk than replacing your current one with a large drive. Then you can as much as possible to that (like My Documents and friends). I find that LR is much more spiffy if the catalog and cache is placed on an SSD, so I do that. The photos are placed on a standard HD.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    The general rule for SSD is to have at least 20% of free space - the reasoning is that this lets the trim and wear leveling functions work optimally; at least that's my understanding of it.

It's probably cheaper to add another smallish SSD disk than replacing your current one with a large drive. Then you can as much as possible to that (like My Documents and friends). I find that LR is much more spiffy if the catalog and cache is placed on an SSD, so I do that. The photos are placed on a standard HD.
    Right thats how I am set up right now.. I have my OS and programs on a 128GB SSD right now only 11GB free, but after I uninstall LR4 and move the catalogs off.. I should have about 25GB free or more.. I also have a 60GB SSD that I only have been using for caching, and a few programs that I dont use much and more likely to uninstall, so I am going to move the catalogs to it also. My images and backups and data files are all on a pair of 1.5TB WD hard drives, not raid but cloned daily.. then they get backed up to a usb hd once a week, and another USB drive once a month that I keep at work.. I hate crashes, I lost a lot of stuff once, and I am trying never having to go thru that again..
    Knock on wood, My OS SSD hasnt even hiccuped since installing it.. I could never go back to a standard HD for OS