Thread: Seems Olympus isn't the only company on the retro bus.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Seems Olympus isn't the only company on the retro bus.

Nikon Df First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

Interesting to see what our "sophomoric" friend in Hong Kong will say about it...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Seems Olympus isn't the only company on the retro bus.

Suppose if I had a drawerfull of old Nikon lenses I'd give it a look, but it's hard to see how this is going to bring anybody new into the Nikon camp.

The E-M5 was the camera that finally got me into the 4/3 system, but it was because of its unique feature set, not OM nostalgia. I don't see anything unique the Df brings to the table. It's rather handsome and definitely not a jelly bean, so there's that.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Agree.
    I do have a number of old Nikkor lenses (five, of which three are pre AI), which are nice as such, but not up to "modern" standards of resolution and color correction, and I can just as easily use them on 4/3, (albeit, stopped down) as I could on a Df. The pre AI lenses can also be quite easily "converted" at no cost to work fine on other Nikon bodies. All you need is a screwdriver and a file.
    I see a big advantage with the new EVF in the E-M1 for using such lenses, as it would make it much easier to focus stopped down. Right, Godfrey?
    The Df looks nice, but for that kind of money just to be able to use pre AI lenses??... I doubt it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I can't see this being a success as it looks too fussy and complicated and I think it will prove to be a pain to use. But... Who knows?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Is Olympus on a retro bus? Oh, you mean the styling. Far as that goes, Olympus' take on styling their cameras to look like the Pen F and OM series is much more successful than what Nikon's done.

Regards the Nikon DF, might be nice to use, but it sure isn't "pretty" … looks like a modern retro Camaro: it has some of the line, but it's all bloated and festooned with gee-gaws. To my eye, the chrome is particularly ugly looking. or rather, "industrial faux".

but if it works right and is good in the hands, it could be very nice.

What the goofball at digitalrev tv has to say about it is likely as ridiculous as his other commentary. "Pure entertainment."

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

If you find that sort of rot entertaining...though I did find it slightly amusing, albeit pointless, to see him kick a soccer ball into a bunch of tripods. Junk is junk and it is easy enough to "prove".

I used the term "retro" because that is what everyone calls the design of the E-M5, and now to a slightly lesser extent, the E-M1. I don't find the Fd soooo bad looking. Hell, the E-1 was the ugliest kid on the block! Might have been great to shoot with, but she weren't no looker!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The new Nikon looks too thick (body) to me. And heavy. I just wonder which one is easier to use with looking through the finder - the Nikon or E-M1. And the price difference!!!
    I wonder why there were NOT any size comparation with other cameras on the DPR review - it looks two times the size of an E-M1!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Most DSLRs look too thick if you're used to 35mm SLRs. Sensors plus LCD, etc, take up a lot more space than film and pressure plate. The DF just looks awkward from several angles, and all those knobs and dials, stacked up ones too, seem reminiscent of something out of the Steam Age.

The E-1 never looks ugly to me at all, just utilitarian. It's most certainly not styled the way the DF is. The OM-D E-M5 and Pen E-P1 were definitely styled, where the E-M1 seems more like the E-1 in being a more utilitarian, functional design first.

Funny stuff. How they fit the hand, and how the view looks when peering through them, are the important things, but we spend a lot of time discussing what they look like. ;-)

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

November 28th release. That's rushing it. It might be another D600? But for me. It has a mirror, an optical finder, and overly complex button lay out, Yawn.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

You are right, Godfrey, but that is how this thread got started, with this guy in Hong Kong going on and on about how ugly the E-M1 is. I (for what its worth) like the looks of both the E-M5 and E-M1, but for different reasons. The 5 "looks" good, but I am sure the 1 "feels" much better and is better laid out, with the possible exception of the on/off switch being out of reach of the right hand. From the looks of the E-1, I can understand how it could feel really good, but being an old fart from film days, somehow the shape just bothers me. Now look at the Leicaflex SL. Gorgeous design, if you ask me, but a bitch to hold, especially with one hand and with something like the 180/2.8 on it! I loved it, and it was a dream to look through and the shutter and cam driven mirror were so smooth and vibration free, like driving a Mercedes. But it was not fun to hold.
    I am sure that if someone were to come up with an ergonomically "perfect" camera that just fit into one's hand with all the controls just in the right place it would be ugly as sin. Let's face it, we are all visually oriented people, otherwise we wouldn't be taking pictures. And people are influenced by how things look. Tastes differ, and they also change. We get used to what we have, and after a while, any strange feeling we might have had about an object's appearance, be it a camera, a car, a spouse...whatever, become irrelevant. Functionality takes over and we concentrate more on the work at hand.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

the E-1 was the ugliest kid on the block! Might have been great to shoot with, but she weren't no looker