Thread: E-M1 Dropped

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default E-M1 Dropped

Pulling the camera out of my bag, the neck strap somehow snagged and the camera with 50mmF2 popped out of my hand and bounced on the floor.
    50 years of handling cameras and lenses, and never before dropped either once. You should have heard my curses!
    Well, no visible damage. Everything still works, it is a little brick after all.
    First thing I did straightaway was to rip off the horrible neck strap, (which I always wear inside out so the blazing advertisement is hidden), put it back in the box until one day it may be sold, and fitted my ProStrap wrist strap, which I should have done first off.

Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: E-M1 Dropped

Having handled an E-M1; I would be more worried about the floor than the camera.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yuck, that's a pain. Glad there was no damage.

I haven't taken the Olympus strap out of the box.

• When I'm carrying the camera without the HLD7 and with a small, light lens like the 14/2.5, 25/1.4 or 35/3.5 Macro, I use a Street Strap which is silky smooth, very light, and very comfortable. It never tangles.

• When I've got the HLD7 and any heavy lens fitted, I use a Leicaflex SL neckstrap which has a very comfortable padded section and superb eyelet loops that come on and off the camera in a jiffy.

Both straps wrap around my wrist comfortably when I'm shooting. All straps come off when I'm working with the camera on a tripod.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Glad it made it through OK, I did that right after I got my E5 with my 50-200 and ec14 on, right off the monopod and onto a gravel parking lot.. they too came through fine with only a small scratch on the case.. it is a sickening feeling though
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wow, what a sickening moment that must have been!!! I'm glad that it came through with flying colors.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks for your sympathy !
    The floor was bad and good.
    Bad because it was timber.
    Good because it was not concrete or tiles.
    Tom, I'm not looking for floor dents, better not to relive.
    Godfrey, I will check out your neck strap, because reality is, sometimes they are needed, and the quick release sounds good.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'd be more concerned about your heart than the camera. Glad to hear you survived ok. Unfortunately, I know EXACTLY how you felt.
    Capturing the beauty of nature, one frame at a time.

Prints available @: http://double-s-posure.smugmug.com; http://stan-wojtaszek.artistwebsites.com

E5, E30, E-510, 9-18, 14-54, 14-42, Sigma 105, 50-200, EC14, FL50R and a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I have almost quit using neck straps and now use wrist straps. It's more risky but I have noticed I take more pictures. When it's hanging from my neck I tend to ignore it more. It's either in my hand or in my bag.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
    I have almost quit using neck straps and now use wrist straps. It's more risky but I have noticed I take more pictures. When it's hanging from my neck I tend to ignore it more. It's either in my hand or in my bag.
    I find the long neck strap a problem. Even retrieving the camera from my gear cupboard, it often seems to droop or flop, and drape around a lens on a shelf below which could easily be dragged off onto the floor.
    So I'm always ultra careful getting it out.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

This is one of the reasons I am switching over to a Black Rapid strap. That way I can quickly detach the strap whenever I stow the camera. I plan to use the same strap for whatever camera I happen to be carrying.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I use black rapid with the the manfrotto quick release plate adapter. I have one plate on the E5 with the adapter screw(when using smaller lenses) and the same setup repeated on the 35-100. The black rapid has quick release so it is easy to take off the strap and onto the tripod if need be regardless what lens I have on, and no need to unscrew the plate when changing lenses.
    McGoo Photography
    E5 | E620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 35-100 | Zuiko 70-300 | FL-50R x2 |