Thread: E-M1 A hard camera to use?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default E-M1 A hard camera to use?

I have my heart set on getting a E-M1 next month, but almost everything I read about this camera are comments on how hard it is to use. Even the Olympus camera users are having problems with many different aspects of using this camera.

How hard is it for a E-5 user to pick up E-M1 and shoot with it?
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Default Re: E-M1 A hard camera to use?

Everything I've read and seen on youtube says the opposite - the camera is a delight to hold and use. I'm sure it will take a bit of using to get familiar with but one reviewer I saw yesterday said he felt it was very comfortable to hold and the most responsive camera he has ever used.....Those few here on this forum who have one now speak well of it. What specifically was stated as being difficult? I've been doing a lot of reading and watching because I too will be getting one soon, before the end of the year, and am still a bit hesitant, but very much less today than last month based on what I've been reading and watching.
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    I have my heart set on getting a E-M1 next month, but almost everything I read about this camera are comments on how hard it is to use. Even the Olympus camera users are having problems with many different aspects of using this camera.

How hard is it for a E-5 user to pick up E-M1 and shoot with it?
    Hi Lawrence. It's only as hard as you want to make it. You get very nice images straight out of the box. There is a lot of depth to it if you want to delve. Just take your time.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Huh? Hard to use? Absurd.

The E-M1 has many features and options. Just like the E-5, the E-M5, and every other sophisticated camera on the market. That's all. IMO, only those with a Luddite frame of mind or some other personal prejudice to proselytize about would find it hard to use.

Learning all all the features can take some time. In fact, I never learned all the features of the E-5... Because I never needed to. Just like with the E-M1.

Its a delight to use. The most transparent camera in use I've had since the E-1 and M9.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I can't remember any specific problems now, but I follow a number of different forums which cover the E-M1, and they are filled with people asking questions about how do I get this or that to work. They report shutter shock problems, focus problems, etc., etc.

I am not one to use a lot of the advanced features on a camera, in fact they could remove 90% of the features and I would be happy as long as the camera produces good consistent results.

I am happy to hear the camera is not that difficult to use as many people may be alluding to.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

After setting the half-dozen settings that I will not be changing, I shot inside an ICBM launch facility from the 1960s (that is now a declassified museum).
    I love the touch screen with "live view". I was using the tripod much like a monopod, but could easily have done it hand-held, and was using the art filters.
    No post-processing was necessary (except resizing). Since I had the camera already "pre-set" for the job, it was more like "point and shoot". But, there
    are so many options that it will be hard to master. I will be trying the hand-held starlight mode with body cap lens for night street scenes.
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I can't remember any specific problems now, but I follow a number of different forums which cover the E-M1, and they are filled with people asking questions about how do I get this or that to work. They report shutter shock problems, focus problems, etc., etc.

I am not one to use a lot of the advanced features on a camera, in fact they could remove 90% of the features and I would be happy as long as the camera produces good consistent results.

I am happy to hear the camera is not that difficult to use as many people may be alluding to.
    I've read dozens of such comments on the various gear head forums. And I have no idea why people have so much difficulty ...
    I have had exactly no problems at all with it. Everything I've tried works exactly as the instruction manual says it should.

I've had zero incidence of so-called "shutter shock", focusing problems, etc etc. I'm running at the 1500-1800 exposures made with it now, and liking it more and more. It's a wonderful, superb handling camera. Very glad I went for it...

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

The menu is more complex than the E5 but it's due to more features like time lapse, wifi, ect. It's nothing that will overwhelm you and once you custom set the buttons it will be a breeze. To me there are really to many programmable buttons but with that I don't need a camera with a lot of buttons. At the end of the day you can program it as you wish and make it as complex or easy as you want it to be.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Some people just like things to be difficult and some people ask the same question without reading other posts with solutions and that makes issues seem more prevalent and some people just can't seem to read the manual or try to fix their issue, they have to ask. I had a couple of minor issues with the mysets menu but have it sorted now and it is great to use. I think a lot of people have no idea how to use a camera and seem to think the camera can read their mind and focus on what they want to focus on and just do what they want it to, kind of like get in car and it will just take me where I want to go, hey I have a racing car now why can I still not keep up with the racing drivers even if they are in a lesser car than me.
    It really is not that hard to get used to, I went back to my E5 yesterday after 2 weeks using the EM1 and had to look for the on off switch, it is automatic on the EM1 already. I must admit I did not customise the E5 much but EM1 I have, it is great to use.
    Really, it's not difficult to use!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I find evert camera hard to use once when I need a specific option which I don't use often and have to hunt for it in the menu.
    Let's say the mirror lockup in E-5.
    Not sure where it is, and I only use it 2-3 times a year so of course it will take time to find it again.

But to actually use it for normal subjects...every camera is super easy if you know how to expose properly and know where are A/S/ISO dials or commands.

When I take Canon in my hands (being least comfortable and experience with their bodies) I always go full M to get where I need to go.

So there is no complicated camera....there is only camera with not enough buttons/dials so it forces you press two at the same time or dig deep in menu to change little things (GF series for ex.).
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

its pretty quick to pick up on, I think a lot easier than the EM5 was for me.. I have focusing problems but only with the long 4/3rds lenses on moving targets.. Ive had a power problem a few times, where it acts like no battery is in it, wont turn on, without reseating the battery a couple times. I am thinking one of the battery terminal connector is loose or something.. going to try it some more with other lenses to eliminate something in the 140mm lens adapter or EC20 is shorting.. what is shutter shock? maybe I got that too
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

I am not sure if cameras are that hard to use. But there are definitively some lousy manuals out there. And I think both Olympus and Panasonic does a quite poor job out of it.

The best manual I have seen is the one from Samsung NX-100. That was easy to read, teaches you basic photography and explained also the advanced features of the camera.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I read the Olympus E-M1 manual a couple of times before I received the camera. When the camera arrived, I was delighted to find out that nearly everything in the manual was exactly as stated, and if I didn't remember the details, it was easy to find. So I don't rate the Olympus manual as all that bad.

However, it's not "light reading" ... it takes some work to go through it. The rewards of doing so are good, however.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JimUSNY View Post
    its pretty quick to pick up on, I think a lot easier than the EM5 was for me.. I have focusing problems but only with the long 4/3rds lenses on moving targets.. Ive had a power problem a few times, where it acts like no battery is in it, wont turn on, without reseating the battery a couple times. I am thinking one of the battery terminal connector is loose or something.. going to try it some more with other lenses to eliminate something in the 140mm lens adapter or EC20 is shorting.. what is shutter shock? maybe I got that too
    is that a factory battery or a clone?

I have a GH2 as well, and I hacked it for some additional features
    with some hacks I tried, which in all honesty probably pushed the limits a bit too far
    I experienced regular lock ups which required turning off, popping the battery out, back in and on
    its something that other hackers put down to under spec SD cards and battery power

In the end I returned to a more modest hack, and the problem disappeared completely

FWIW I had my first lockup with M1 Sat night after a shoot
    the camera didnt completely shutdown,and I couldnt turn it off
    when I realised it was a lockup, I popped the battery out and everything was fine

In its defence, I was checking a few settings and chimping images when the battery indicator was already giving me the flashing red icon
    Last edited by Riley; 11-17-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score

lets look at this honestly
    out of all the cameras out there M1 is complicated

I mean this is a feature packed camera with all the whistles one could wish for
    it has a large menu set, and control over things that we dont even know what they are yet

if your needs are modest and you can resist playing with settings except for what you completely understand and really need, the camera will be fine right out of the box
    but as your needs progress, you are going to find you need to know a bit more about what you are doing
    and the manual like as not sometimes wont be a lot of help

the other side of the same coin
    this camera wont suffer fools well
    start flicking things around, forget what you have changed and where those things are
    and you could find yourself in a bit of a mess with a camera that isnt working to optimum
    Im pretty certain from what Ive seen on the net already that some folks are getting a bit trapped with AF

take it a step at a time
    research what you need
    ask questions
    let your capability and your camera grow with you
    one thing it wont be, is boring

One of the things Olympus should do is have an online facility, a kind of virtual manual (so it can be updated) that explains things more fully
    such a manual could be hotlinked to fora like this, and user groups could field and answer questions for their own purposes
    It would of course be more helpful if Olympus were to take questions themselves
    but that could end up being an enormous task, and might not satisfy some people as well as one would like

without this, I guess we have each other, and people like Wrotniak (who is back BTW)
    Im hoping Wrotniak gives us a resource for M1 as he did with E3, because IMO we are going to need it
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've been shooting with the E-M1 a lot. I don't find it all that complicated, it simply has a lot of options. Most of them are preference changes to the defaults ... and the defaults work fine.

Spend time shooting, and less time messing about with settings, and the camera will tell you everything you need to know. I've already put a couple of thousand exposures on mine and I'm getting to know it very well. Not a single fault or hiccup.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It's been my experience that all pro-grade cameras have a manual that is worth reading front to back, back to front, and then using as reference. My 1st priority when I got the EM1 was to read the manual and the set it up so that it functioned similar to my E-5 which I am transitioning out of. The biggest difference for my portrait work that I can see is now having to shoot natively at ISO 200 (which is hard for me to get my brain around).

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I've been shooting with the E-M1 a lot. I don't find it all that complicated, it simply has a lot of options. Most of them are preference changes to the defaults ... and the defaults work fine.

Spend time shooting, and less time messing about with settings, and the camera will tell you everything you need to know. I've already put a couple of thousand exposures on mine and I'm getting to know it very well. Not a single fault or hiccup.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Lawrence,
    I got my E-M1 only three weeks ago so I am still exploring its manifold possibilities. Using the default settings or possibly programming one or two buttons so that you are comfortable finding ways to adjust the essentials - aperture, shutter speed, iso and colour balance will let you get going very quickly. The camera is a delight to use as it is so responsive and fits my hands very well.

The manual is somewhat challenging. I came to Olympus 18 months ago being a long time user of Leica and Pentax cameras. It took me some time to work out the convoluted Olympus menu system but I expect previous Olympus users would have an easier learning curve. I enjoyed using the E-M5 and had no hesitation in upgrading to the E-M1 + 12-40. So far I am very happy with it and would say that it is the most enjoyable camera I have ever used. During the coming weeks and months I will explore the more advanced features though I suspect I will not need many of them. I have had no problems with shutter shock, poor focus, or any of the other problems that a few people have reported. I cannot comment on how well it focuses with older 4/3 lenses as I do not have any. More experienced Olympus users on the forum may be able to comment on that.

If you take the plunge and buy an E-M1 I am sure you will not be disappointed.