Thread: E-M1 and FL50

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Default E-M1 and FL50

E-M1 with FL50 (on bracket with cable to hotshoe). In camera settings are for high sync at 1/320 (low sync at 1/60). But, with the FL50, the camera will only go up to 1/250. I cannot dial it to 1/320, even with the in camera menu setting at 1/320. I could put the flash in FP mode and it will go higher than 1/250. But, this camera has a max sync at 1/320, right? Or, is that only with the newer flash, like FL600?
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: E-M1 and FL50

Quote Originally Posted by kenwae View Post
    E-M1 with FL50 (on bracket with cable to hotshoe). In camera settings are for high sync at 1/320 (low sync at 1/60). But, with the FL50, the camera will only go up to 1/250. I cannot dial it to 1/320, even with the in camera menu setting at 1/320. I could put the flash in FP mode and it will go higher than 1/250. But, this camera has a max sync at 1/320, right? Or, is that only with the newer flash, like FL600?
    Yes, max sync of 1/320 (without the HSS flash option turned on) is only with the FL-300r and FL-600r, and FL-ML2 flash units.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

ah, good to know; thanks....Now, another issue.There are times when the flash just doesn't fire...and then it will, for several shots, and then it won't...I don't know what the variable is. I turn off the flash, then on, camera off, then on, that doesn't help....click the button and it doesn't flash, and again, click again and it does....I'll switch from ttl auto to auto and back, it won't flash, then it does, for several flashes, then won't. Maybe the cable contacts needs cleaning and I'll do that, but any other things I should consider? Until I figure this out, I'm okay doing family or couples in my typical sunset beach portraits, but I would not use this camera/flash for a wedding, I'd have to go back to E-5 for reliability. I'm finding the E-M1 very nice to use, the resolution of the files is noticeably improved. With the E-5, when editing, I would begin to see pixelation when magnified up over 200%, now don't see pixelation well up over 300%. Could it be the FL50 is not that compatible?

p.s - a few hours after posting above, I read some posts on dpreview about E-M1 and FL50 compatability and from reports it is fully compatible. So, now my thinking is maybe its the FL CB05 cable I'm using and will try another one and see if there's a difference.....(but, its the same one I was using on E-5 only last month and all was working well).
    Last edited by kenwae; 11-30-2013 at 02:00 AM.
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kenwae View Post
    ah, good to know; thanks....Now, another issue.There are times when the flash just doesn't fire...and then it will, for several shots, and then it won't...I don't know what the variable is. I turn off the flash, then on, camera off, then on, that doesn't help....click the button and it doesn't flash, and again, click again and it does....I'll switch from ttl auto to auto and back, it won't flash, then it does, for several flashes, then won't. Maybe the cable contacts needs cleaning and I'll do that, but any other things I should consider? Until I figure this out, I'm okay doing family or couples in my typical sunset beach portraits, but I would not use this camera/flash for a wedding, I'd have to go back to E-5 for reliability. I'm finding the E-M1 very nice to use, the resolution of the files is noticeably improved. With the E-5, when editing, I would begin to see pixelation when magnified up over 200%, now don't see pixelation well up over 300%. Could it be the FL50 is not that compatible?

p.s - a few hours after posting above, I read some posts on dpreview about E-M1 and FL50 compatability and from reports it is fully compatible. So, now my thinking is maybe its the FL CB05 cable I'm using and will try another one and see if there's a difference.....(but, its the same one I was using on E-5 only last month and all was working well).
    Cables are always the first culprit. :-\

I haven't got an FL-50, only the FL-36, and I've only tested it so far (mounted direct to the camera, not on the FL-CB05). Seems to work exactly as it does on the E-1 and how it did on the E-5...

You've reminded me that I have to find out where my two FL-CB05 cables have migrated to in the equipment closet... ! ;-)
    I've managed to pull most of the Olympus/Panasonic FT/mFT gear together now, but there are still some mount adapters, cables, and other outliers that have gotten scattered into nooks and crannies elsewhere.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

check you have flash set to "Full", or whatever that setting is
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think I can remember seeing a similar problem with the E5 - it was down to the focus setting - it did not like C-AF - set it to single shot focusing and it worked.

Glad to see the comments about there being usable compatibility between the FL50 and the E-M1

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I'm still experimenting a bit; I always use S-AF in this context. I did notice that in the menu there is an option to turn the flash exposure compensation on or off; it had been off, so turned it on; but. I also noticed that there are options to choose various setting such as second curtain, off, auto, fill, etc. When turned to off, the flash doesn't fire at all. The 'full' option is greyed out when external flash is attached, but available when the flash is not attached. So, far, I haven't seen any difference in auto or fill, but think when shooting into a sunset with the subjects facing camera, which I have done a lot of with E-5 w/o problem, the EM1, whether in auto or fill, may be making calculations which affect firing. The odd thing is that it seems so random and 'fickle' - it will be working, and then for several shots it won't, then it will, which leads me to believe it might be the cable and, silly me, I haven't tried a different cable yet.
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My guess is your cable - I'm using several different FL-50R flashes and they work fine.

BTW, if you tape off all but the center contact for the flash contacts, and use the flash in manual mode you can sync quite a bit higher. I'd have check but I think at 1/400 I get a very small black band that is easily cropped and if shooting or cropping to 16:9 you can go to 1/500.
    Clint
    OM-D EM-1 | 7-14mm | 12-40mm | 12-60mm | 35-100mm | 50-200mm | 100-400mm | 12mm | 25mm f/1.4 | 45mm f/1.8 | 75mm f/1.8 | FL-600R | FL-50R |

Shooting since 1964