Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: E3 won't focus, why?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sumatra, Indonesia
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

    Default E3 won't focus, why?

    Hello,

    It's been two days e3 me in trouble with his ability to lock the focus point where I knew it at the time of the photograph in the studio room. Yesterday I used the ZD 50-200 lens mk 1 when he first experienced this. I wonder why it's hard to get a focus. After trying various adjustments related: iso, speed, wb, metering plus trigger flash still will not focus, I attach the lens in ep-l2 no problem. I plug it in again and try to focus on the outdoors also can not focus. Zoom function but can not lock in the focus point. Today I tried ZD 14-54 lens mk 2, the same thing happened again. I have tried cleaning the lens connector either in the body or in the lens results remain the same. Are there guys who have experienced similar things?

    Thanks
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    2,592
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Maybe your camera's "AF MODE" is set to "MF"? This is a setting reached from the menu, at least on my E-520. This would account for all the lenses you tried on the camera (50-200; 14-54) failing to use AF. That's all I can think of.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sumatra, Indonesia
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    Maybe your camera's "AF MODE" is set to "MF"? This is a setting reached from the menu, at least on my E-520. This would account for all the lenses you tried on the camera (50-200; 14-54) failing to use AF. That's all I can think of.
    Definitely checked and it's the same result on saf-caf-saf+mf or caf+my, my only choice this time... Thanks
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    716
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

    Default

    I had that. Turned out the focus mirror (under the main mirror) had come adrift. Also an E-3
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

    My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,652
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    I suppose you have full electrical connection?
    clean both lens and body contacts
    Riley

    Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Have you tried to reset the camera to "Factory default" in case of something in the software have gone mad?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Olympus E-3, Zuiko digital 50-200, Zuiko Digital 7-14, Zuiko digital 12-60, Zuiko digital 35 Macro, Zuiko digital 8mmm Fisheye, EC-20, FL-36R, FL-50R, Metz meca macro blitz, Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    I had a similar situation with my E-3...wouldn't focus. Went through the menu and found that on the setting where you can set the AFL/EFL that it was set to focus with AFL button. Hope this helps.

    Vic
    VICTOR
    E-3, E-420, 14-54, 14-42, 40-150 and FL-50

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sumatra, Indonesia
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by srtgray View Post
    I had that. Turned out the focus mirror (under the main mirror) had come adrift. Also an E-3
    You mean you turn out the focus mirror then the e3? Will try to


    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I suppose you have full electrical connection?
    clean both lens and body contacts
    Done


    Quote Originally Posted by smurf69 View Post
    Have you tried to reset the camera to "Factory default" in case of something in the software have gone mad?
    Done



    Quote Originally Posted by vloher View Post
    I had a similar situation with my E-3...wouldn't focus. Went through the menu and found that on the setting where you can set the AFL/EFL that it was set to focus with AFL button. Hope this helps.

    In this case after the factory reset it should be back to default, right?

    Vic
    Did tried several suggested like reset and tried all the af mode still wont focus... Will do the rest before really sending to Olympus.

    Thanks guys
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sumatra, Indonesia
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by srtgray View Post
    I had that. Turned out the focus mirror (under the main mirror) had come adrift. Also an E-3
    Not really sure what you mean, can you please tell me more ease which mirror exactly? And what adrift related to?

    Thanks
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    658
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    All lenses or only this lens ?
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

    Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sumatra, Indonesia
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    All lenses or only this lens ?
    All zd lens
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Hi Declan,

    In my case with the AFL/AEL setting, the factory reset did not take care of it. Not sure why, you would think it would. I would suggest checking it yourself.

    Vic
    VICTOR
    E-3, E-420, 14-54, 14-42, 40-150 and FL-50

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    538
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan79 View Post
    Not really sure what you mean, can you please tell me more ease which mirror exactly? And what adrift related to?

    Thanks
    Well, srtgray hasn't replied yet, but I believe that what he was telling you, was that on his E-3 the small little focus mirror had gotten out of alignment. The E-3 has small semi-transparent mirrors at the bottom of the mirror box and in front of the AF sensors. A search of other website discussions also revealed that the focus can be affected if dust gets on those little mirrors and focus can be restored if the dust is removed.

    Here are some other comments I found concerning this:
    ..."If it's dodgy with other lenses, it could be dust on the AF mirrors at the bottom of the mirror box. Hold the body front down, and blast under the mirror carefully with a rocket blower, being careful not to touch the mirror."

    ".....I think the main thing I did was take off the lens, and use a rocket blower to blow a puff of air at the mirror. I had read that sometimes a dust bunny gets trapped behind the half silvered mirror where the auto focusing sensors are, and a puff of air might dislodge it. You don't want to use canned air that is used to clean out computer cases, as it is too powerful and it can leave a residue."


    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

    E-330, E-520, E-3

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sumatra, Indonesia
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by vloher View Post
    I had a similar situation with my E-3...wouldn't focus. Went through the menu and found that on the setting where you can set the AFL/EFL that it was set to focus with AFL button. Hope this helps.

    Vic
    Quote Originally Posted by vloher View Post
    Hi Declan,

    In my case with the AFL/AEL setting, the factory reset did not take care of it. Not sure why, you would think it would. I would suggest checking it yourself.

    Vic

    Just checked the ael/afl menu, and I'm getting more confused with the option menu on ael/afl with every choice of the 1/2/3 on s-af/c-af/mf not Really sure how it related.


    Quote Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
    Well, srtgray hasn't replied yet, but I believe that what he was telling you, was that on his E-3 the small little focus mirror had gotten out of alignment. The E-3 has small semi-transparent mirrors at the bottom of the mirror box and in front of the AF sensors. A search of other website discussions also revealed that the focus can be affected if dust gets on those little mirrors and focus can be restored if the dust is removed.

    Here are some other comments I found concerning this:
    ..."If it's dodgy with other lenses, it could be dust on the AF mirrors at the bottom of the mirror box. Hold the body front down, and blast under the mirror carefully with a rocket blower, being careful not to touch the mirror."

    ".....I think the main thing I did was take off the lens, and use a rocket blower to blow a puff of air at the mirror. I had read that sometimes a dust bunny gets trapped behind the half silvered mirror where the auto focusing sensors are, and a puff of air might dislodge it. You don't want to use canned air that is used to clean out computer cases, as it is too powerful and it can leave a residue."



    Appreciate it Steve, just tried to blowing up the tiny mirror, af connector and still the same

    So, i guess all possibilities related to af had been checked isn't?

    Thanks folks
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,240
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Check the bolts that secure the lens mount flange to the body. If they're loose, they can cause an electrical open circuit.

    Next, send camera to Olympus for service. Obviously something is wrong. ;-)

    G

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sumatra, Indonesia
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Check the bolts that secure the lens mount flange to the body. If they're loose, they can cause an electrical open circuit.

    Next, send camera to Olympus for service. Obviously something is wrong. ;-)

    G

    Noted G, will do checking the bolt.... Thanks
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    [QUOTE=Declan79;628700]Just checked the ael/afl menu, and I'm getting more confused with the option menu on ael/afl with every choice of the 1/2/3 on s-af/c-af/mf not Really sure how it related.



    If the AF is set up to focus from the AEL/AFL button, then it won't focus when the shutter button is depressed.
    VICTOR
    E-3, E-420, 14-54, 14-42, 40-150 and FL-50

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sumatra, Indonesia
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    [QUOTE=vloher;628733]
    Quote Originally Posted by Declan79 View Post
    Just checked the ael/afl menu, and I'm getting more confused with the option menu on ael/afl with every choice of the 1/2/3 on s-af/c-af/mf not Really sure how it related.



    If the AF is set up to focus from the AEL/AFL button, then it won't focus when the shutter button is depressed.

    as long i remembered, the AEL/AFL button is one of the rarely function i've did but will checked again, thanks Victor
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    716
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

    Default

    Sorry Declan, I was a little unclear. Steven is right.

    The second mirror, behind the main one, came loose and fell out, so the camera could not use the AF system.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

    My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sumatra, Indonesia
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by srtgray View Post
    Sorry Declan, I was a little unclear. Steven is right.

    The second mirror, behind the main one, came loose and fell out, so the camera could not use the AF system.
    Just to make sure we're all talking on the same page, the tiny mirror is located under the Big mirror?
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    716
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

    Default

    Yes, it's beneath and behind. If you carefully lift the main mirror with your finger, you'll see a second one. Or in my case, I saw a small place where it used to be attached. It swings up with the main mirror when the shutter opens.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

    My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sumatra, Indonesia
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by srtgray View Post
    Yes, it's beneath and behind. If you carefully lift the main mirror with your finger, you'll see a second one. Or in my case, I saw a small place where it used to be attached. It swings up with the main mirror when the shutter opens.
    Well, after trying to blowing with face down I think tomorrow it should be sent to the occ for further inspection.

    Thanks
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sumatra, Indonesia
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0
    Real Name
    Ferry Dwijaya

    Default Re: E3 won't focus, why?

    Anyone knows about how or what caused es unit or main board on dslr distracted to focus?
    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -AnonymousE-3|E-M5|NX-300|Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 ED|50/2 IZuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8|Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01FMetz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8Mono-TriPod|Pro Runner 350|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Toploader 55|Passport Sling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •