Thread: Hello again old friends

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Hello again old friends

Thought that seeing as how its been a couple of years since I was active on the forum, I'd better reintroduce myself! I'm Nate, and I'm a recovering photographer.

So, its been a long time.........I see some familiar faces, some new faces, and there are some familiar faces I don't see. Hope everyone is doing ok. Since I crashed and burned with my photography, it looks like there's been some changes with the site, but at least its still here! Guess at the least, I owe everyone a big apology for disappearing. Had a major burnout there, and only recently hauled out the old E-30, dusted everything off and charged her up. Gotta say, it feels kind of good to get back into it, and to discover that I haven't forgotten quite all of what I learned (much of it from you folks here).

For right now, I'm trying to resist my gear lust, and concentrate on the outdated equipment that I have......though I gotta say that had Oly decided to bring out an E7, I would probably succumb to the urge. Haven't yet been able to wrap my head around the concept that the new flagship is m4/3, or convince myself that its IQ is enough better than the E-30 for me to commit to it financially.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for now. Just wanted to say that I'm sort of back, and very happy to see that you guys are still around. Happy New Year to all, looking forward to talking with you, and seeing some nice work!
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Hello again old friends

Welcome back, Nate. I'm in a funk right now myself when it comes to photography, partly because life has gotten in the way of our travels for the past year. I'm also getting back into model railroading (O scale this time) and that is taking some time to learn and work on a layout design. I almost succumbed to the E-M1, but can't quite pull the trigger until I see if I can get back into it with some travel this year. I look forward to seeing some more fine photos from you. From what I hear, they'd all be nothing but white right now, so I hope you're staying warm.
    Cheers, Dave

E-510 | 14-42 | 40-150 | 50-200 SWD| 70-300 (still Broken)| EC-14 | FL-36
    Toshiba Thrive (rooted) | Droid (rooted)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks, Dave. Life getting in the way was part of my problem as well....priorities and all that. Yup, staying warm is a bit of a challenge right now; first real smasher of a winter we've had in a few years! Went for a ride this morning looking for shots, it was 25 below.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Nice to hear from you Nate !

We're also in the deep freeze here, I can already see the back wall of my wood shed, sigh...

BTW - I was up a sixteen foot step ladder this afternoon @ -26c shooting an ice sculpture

Sure hope I nailed it cuz I ain't going back up there, he, he...

Happy New Year to you and your's....

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Life is always in the way. But it's the only shot we get. ;-)

Hallo again, Nate. Hope your journey away and back to photography proves fruitful.

I'm using and enjoying the E-M1 quite a lot. It's rapidly become my favorite camera. For me, it is a very solid successor to the E-1 and E-5.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I don't miss the sub-zero temps and winds off the lake near Green Bay at all. I do miss the spring flowers though.
    Cheers, Dave

E-510 | 14-42 | 40-150 | 50-200 SWD| 70-300 (still Broken)| EC-14 | FL-36
    Toshiba Thrive (rooted) | Droid (rooted)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    Nice to hear from you Nate !

We're also in the deep freeze here, I can already see the back wall of my wood shed, sigh...

BTW - I was up a sixteen foot step ladder this afternoon @ -26c shooting an ice sculpture

Sure hope I nailed it cuz I ain't going back up there, he, he...

Happy New Year to you and your's....

Cheers, Don
    Thanks Don, all the best of the new year to you as well. Yikes, not good to be able to see the back wall this soon! Waiting to see that ice sculpture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Life is always in the way. But it's the only shot we get. ;-)

Hallo again, Nate. Hope your journey away and back to photography proves fruitful.

I'm using and enjoying the E-M1 quite a lot. It's rapidly become my favorite camera. For me, it is a very solid successor to the E-1 and E-5.

G
    Thanks Godfrey, you are right about life. Nice to see you are still productive and insightful with your photos; always a breath of fresh air to see your studies. As to the E-M1...well, we'll see. Knowing me, I'll succumb sooner rather than later!
    Nate

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwing View Post
    Waiting to see that ice sculpture.
    I don't think that is going to happen Nate, check my signature

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    I don't think that is going to happen Nate, check my signature

Cheers, Don
    Well yeah, but I won't hold that agin ya!
    Nate

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

Welcome back...again!
    Clint
    Rockin' it Mirrorless Style
    Olympus EM-1, E-PM2, LX-7, S110
    7.5, 12-32, 12-40, 14-42, 20, 25, 45, 75
    Asahi 35 2, SMC Super Tak 135 2.5, Super Tak 200 4
    HLD-7, FL-600r, FL-36r, FL-36, Cactus V5 Duo (x2)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Welcome back, Nate - hope to see some photos from you soon.

I think the E-M1 is a sensible upgrade for most of us E-30 users.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Thank you, Clint! Cheers, Tom....working at getting my chops back. The eye is still there, but I'm all rusted up when it comes to LR and PS!
    Nate

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Thank you, Clint! Cheers, Tom....working at getting my chops back. The eye is still there, but I'm all rusted up when it comes to LR and PS!
    If you get an E-M1, you will have to upgrade to LR5 (5.3 or newer) or you will need to use the DNG converter. I am not sure which LR version you are at, but if you are on LR3 or older; there will be some essential relearning to do. PS is more or less PS as far as I can see.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsi42 View Post
    If you get an E-M1, you will have to upgrade to LR5 (5.3 or newer) or you will need to use the DNG converter. I am not sure which LR version you are at, but if you are on LR3 or older; there will be some essential relearning to do. PS is more or less PS as far as I can see.
    I did take the plunge on LR 5.3 just the other day. I didn't see any huge difference in workflow from 3, but haven't gotten too much into it yet. Guess I'd better do some reading on what's changed!
    Nate

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I did take the plunge on LR 5.3 just the other day. I didn't see any huge difference in workflow from 3, but haven't gotten too much into it yet. Guess I'd better do some reading on what's changed!
    Julianne Kost has done an excellent series of videos (funded by Adobe) about Lightroom 5. They're free and are nicely partitioned for the right amount of time per unit.

http://jkost.com/lightroom.html

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Cheers, G! Duly bookmarked.
    Nate

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

The basic workflow is more or less the same, but the Basic controls in the development module is quite different and much improved IMHO - I could never get comfortable with the old way of doing things.