Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EM1 + Big Tuna&2x tele& autofocus = meltdown and an order of an E5

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: EM1 + Big Tuna&2x tele& autofocus = meltdown and an order of an E5

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    :-)

I'd just use manual focus like I do with racing motorcycles, boats, or cars. AF has its limits...
    Ditto!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Indeed. I read a lot of complaints/griping from people using the E-M1 and trying to do BIF and other high speed action tracking with C-AF and C-AF+tracking. Perhaps the assumption is wrong ... these modes are not really intended for this use, they're designed for other uses, and S-AF/S-AF+MF are better choices, even with the ZD 300/2.8 and EC-20.

I'll be interested to read what PadrePaul's experience changing to a different methodology nets.

I think what the " fn 1 or ?2 or nn is set to Magnify - so you can enlarge the green focus rectangle onto objects in the distance" means is toassign magnification to a convenient function button so that you can swap into magnified mode fluidly while letting S-AF doing its thing. I have magnification set to the upper button on the camera front as I find that the easiest to tap-tap into magnified mode for critical focusing quickly using S-AF+MF. (When using MF, I have the AFL/AEL button mapped to do S-AF rather than AE-L too, which speeds up MF quite a lot when I'm in a hurry.)

fun fun fun ...

G
    Godfrey, sorry and Thanks YES Fn = Function Button (if you have the GRIP too there are more Fn buttons on that too and Paul nn = numeric digits

I should have posted our UK Olympus e- forum and OM-D thread for reference - you can join US - we have a few Antipodeans and USA residents and many from allover over the globe
    We are a nice lot, polite and there is lots of shared knowledge which may help any of you here

Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Olympus UK E-System User Group

Father Paul, I have some 4/3rd lenses and frankly - I do not bother - the focus points are so few in comparison to using m.4/3 and the 75-300 Mk II is an awesome lens and MAKES LIGHT WORK of Bif - I hired one of your "Big Tuna" lenses and it is so heavy, unwieldy and cumbersome ... I sold the E-5s too Initially, I did not like the ONE at all it was so tiny (I had not seen one before my order arrived) I found it a right royal pain in the butt frankly THEN spoke with a very knowledgeable chap at the Dealership I purchased from ... he told me about Bryce and settings and the totally different way of using ONE to an E-5 after three weeks It was LURVE and I sold my 50-200 and 50-200 SWD etc., never looked back

Wishing you all much success from over the big pond here

PS FP, Not sure which Menu you cannot get up but if you look at p. 37 for Super Computer Menu/Displays and p. 75 for main menu options - using the INFO button

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
    ... I have some 4/3rd lenses and frankly - I do not bother - the focus points are so few in comparison to using m.4/3 and the 75-300 Mk II is an awesome lens and MAKES LIGHT WORK of Bif - I hired one of your "Big Tuna" lenses and it is so heavy, unwieldy and cumbersome ...
    This is an interesting point. The ZD 300/2.8 is an awesome lens, but most BIF and action sports work is out in the daylight where light, small, easy to move lenses may well have the advantage assuming a) the quality is on par, and b) the focal length is long enough. Even f/6.3 at 300mm (600mm EFoV) produces pretty darn shallow DoF.

However, I do know that PadrePaul and others are using the 300 and 150 with the 1.4x and 2x extenders for more reach while keeping speed up. I'm not sure how much improvement that nets now, since the E-M1 sensor is so clean at ISO 1600-6400 and the additional detail provided by its 16 Mpixel resolution allows for a good bit more cropping, etc.

I have the ZD 50-200 and EC-14 combination. Very happy with it, but it is big and heavy by comparison to something like the 75-300 II. There are times I wish I had something smaller and lighter with that reach, and don't really need the speed. Hmm.

(I recently had someone offer me one of the magnificent ZD 150/2 lenses, in mint condition, at a very good price. I've got a soft spot for that lens due to its unique focal length-speed and stunning imaging quality. But I turned it down, once again, because it really is a big, heavy thing to haul around and I don't really have a well-defined use I'd put it to. I have two other options for long lenses in that class already and I only occasionally use them as it is...)

Oh yes ... thanks for the link to the E-Group UK forums. I'll do some browsing there. ;-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Has anyone figured out how to register on the E-Group UK forums?

I am unable to register because I don't understand the Random Question. I have tried entering the letters which should replace the question mark, and I have tried typing the whole sentence correctly and have tried answering the question with the words yes and true, but nothing works.

It is interesting that in order to contact them I have the same problem with their Random Question.

I really must be dumb not to be able to figure this out.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to register on the E-Group UK forums?

I am unable to register because I don't understand the Random Question. I have tried entering the letters which should replace the question mark, and I have tried typing the whole sentence correctly and have tried answering the question with the words yes and true, but nothing works.

Their random question for me was "The name of the premium Olympus lens line ... Zu?ko." I typed in "Zuiko" and it accepted that. I'm registered there with the same user login as here.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Their random question for me was "The name of the premium Olympus lens line ... Zu?ko." I typed in "Zuiko" and it accepted that. I'm registered there with the same user login as here.
    That was the one option I didn't think of. I am now logged on. Thanks.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This is an interesting point. The ZD 300/2.8 is an awesome lens, but most BIF and action sports work is out in the daylight where light, small, easy to move lenses may well have the advantage assuming a) the quality is on par, and b) the focal length is long enough. Even f/6.3 at 300mm (600mm EFoV) produces pretty darn shallow DoF.

However, I do know that PadrePaul and others are using the 300 and 150 with the 1.4x and 2x extenders for more reach while keeping speed up. I'm not sure how much improvement that nets now, since the E-M1 sensor is so clean at ISO 1600-6400 and the additional detail provided by its 16 Mpixel resolution allows for a good bit more cropping, etc.

I have the ZD 50-200 and EC-14 combination. Very happy with it, but it is big and heavy by comparison to something like the 75-300 II. There are times I wish I had something smaller and lighter with that reach, and don't really need the speed. Hmm.

(I recently had someone offer me one of the magnificent ZD 150/2 lenses, in mint condition, at a very good price. I've got a soft spot for that lens due to its unique focal length-speed and stunning imaging quality. But I turned it down, once again, because it really is a big, heavy thing to haul around and I don't really have a well-defined use I'd put it to. I have two other options for long lenses in that class already and I only occasionally use them as it is...)

Oh yes ... thanks for the link to the E-Group UK forums. I'll do some browsing there. ;-)
    Thanks for the tips. I'm wondering though do the settings matter on RAW which I shoot? I did put them in but only have been out once and didn't have the chance to chase birds in flight, just perched. I use the 300 and the EC20 for one reason: reach. I want to be as close as possible to the bird.

This is a boring picture but it's interesting at how much sharper it seems to me at least; maybe this is just due to light being better the next day?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z hawk owl 25 resized.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	47272  
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1
    70-300, 9-18, 12-60, 50-200, Olympus Zuiko 300 f2.8, EC 14 & EC 20, shutter remote, FL 50

www.fatherpaul.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

A friend on the Oly e 4m UK posted this and suggested you need a bit of info

Birds in Flight NO PROBS - Best captures are using contrast +2 and Vivid filter - the camera uses these settings to improve definition of the moving object, using format raw does not save +contrast or Vivid filter but jpeg does

Most of us use S-AF and fn 1 or ?2 or nn is set to Magnify - so you can enlarge the green focus rectangle onto objects in the distance - this also helps the CDAF improve the image captured.
    using the 75-300 Mk11 lens

Although Bryce Bradfield (on Flickr) with the OM-D EM-5 got these and posted his settings using C-AF - lots of info in his posts
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 Continuous AF w/ 3D Tracking | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have to say, its NOT THE CAMERA !

Here are a few Bif using the ONE my first week - so not perfecto mundi as I had not in anyway got the "hang of it"

Image612 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Image410 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here is a farssst dog

PC290008 sm | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

PC290019 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

PC290020 (2) (2) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

BTW whats a Big Tuna ?

We hope this helps you all get the best out of your ONE You really do have to change the way you used an E-5 or EM-5 to get the best out the ONE

PadrePaul, try shooting in RAW+jpeg and then you CAN VIEW THE DIFFERENCE

Best wishes

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks a ton - I'll definitely give that a go and see how it does. The E5 (again) arrived today too, will be interesting to compare when I'm out next.

All the best,
    Paul
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1
    70-300, 9-18, 12-60, 50-200, Olympus Zuiko 300 f2.8, EC 14 & EC 20, shutter remote, FL 50

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Father Paul, I recall asking about Teleconverters of Ian (the nice Gentleman who owns/runs the Olympus 4m UK ) and he said "NO ! " ...because the lens is so much closer, as no mirror I think.
    I would recommended you TRY the 75-300 it is fearfully AWESOME sharp and lite and 600 - order online and you get 7 days to try it keep or return

Getting the "menu" are you meaning the SCP (Super Control Panel) Menu ? I think this is what you mean ... PRESS the INFO button - it displays SCP; then Level gauge; then IMAGE only ; KEEP PRESSING the info Button until you get the screen you require. MENU brings up the MENU options as per E-5

AND IS OFF for moving objects

There is a CAUTION NOTE in the Manual on the bottom of p.54 ...

* Zoom is visible only in the monitor and has NO EFFECT on the resulting photographs
    * When you are using a four thirds system lens, the AF will NOT operate with/during zoom. ARGHHH maybe this is the prob with BIG TUNA ? and all 4.3 lenses and settings

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

* When you are using a four thirds system lens, the AF will NOT operate with/during zoom. ARGHHH maybe this is the prob with BIG TUNA ? and all 4.3 lenses and settings

Hope this helps
    Ummmmm, somehow, I don't think this a problem with the Big Tuna ;-))))

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Unless you are foot-zooming...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Father Paul, I recall asking about Teleconverters of Ian (the nice Gentleman who owns/runs the Olympus 4m UK ) and he said "NO ! " ...because the lens is so much closer, as no mirror I think.
    I would recommended you TRY the 75-300 it is fearfully AWESOME sharp and lite and 600 - order online and you get 7 days to try it keep or return

Getting the "menu" are you meaning the SCP (Super Control Panel) Menu ? I think this is what you mean ... PRESS the INFO button - it displays SCP; then Level gauge; then IMAGE only ; KEEP PRESSING the info Button until you get the screen you require. MENU brings up the MENU options as per E-5

AND IS OFF for moving objects

There is a CAUTION NOTE in the Manual on the bottom of p.54 ...

* Zoom is visible only in the monitor and has NO EFFECT on the resulting photographs

Hope this helps
    Thanks so much for the tips. I do own the 70-300 four thirds lens, but can't see spending on another lens in the same range. I appreciate the INFO button tip, that should work. The auto focus on the big tuna works just fine with the tele...and still images have come out just fine, it's BIF that have been posing the problem. Hopefully this improves. The E5 arrived and is now in the bag as well. I hope I'm not selling my EM1 and that the tips work, going to find out next week.
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I don't think it's "worse", I think it's different. It simply has a different set of strengths and flaws. Neither is perfect.

G
    No, for BIF it is worse.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I haven't really jumped into this thread much because, really... people need to try for themselves. I did with my EM-1 purchase. It didn't take me long to come to the healthy conclusion that the EM-1 is not a BIF camera with 4/3 lenses. It's wonderful for static images, but if you must do BIF use the E-5. If you really want to get consistent quality images, there is nothing better than the high end gear from Canon and maybe less so Nikon (depends who you ask).

Good luck.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Agree, (unfortunately).

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by padrepaul77 View Post
    Thanks so much for the tips. I do own the 70-300 four thirds lens, but can't see spending on another lens in the same range. I appreciate the INFO button tip, that should work. The auto focus on the big tuna works just fine with the tele...and still images have come out just fine, it's BIF that have been posing the problem. Hopefully this improves. The E5 arrived and is now in the bag as well. I hope I'm not selling my EM1 and that the tips work, going to find out next week.

Padre Paul - NOT the 4/3 70-300 the m43. 75-300 YOU WILL BE STAGGERED not just with this lens, but also the focus points a m.43 lens affords you on the m-1 go on buy online and try it
    Last edited by Chevvyf1; 01-27-2014 at 03:23 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    I haven't really jumped into this thread much because, really... people need to try for themselves. I did with my EM-1 purchase. It didn't take me long to come to the healthy conclusion that the EM-1 is not a BIF camera with 4/3 lenses. It's wonderful for static images, but if you must do BIF use the E-5. If you really want to get consistent quality images, there is nothing better than the high end gear from Canon and maybe less so Nikon (depends who you ask).

Good luck.

I and a few others in the UK disagree ! and Bryce Bradford - this set are with the EM-5 - I cannot find the EM-1 Bifs from Bryce

and
    Bald Eagle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and WARBIRDS in Flight (these are using the EM-5 and m.43 75-300 - at a few thousand feet, granted the "bird is larger"

on overcast day
    Battle of Britain trio | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and with better light
    Hurricane bomber | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here are some of my FIRST Bifs with the ONE+ m.43 75-300

Image39 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and I am just waiting for the Red Kites season here ... and the you shall see some FAB Bifs with the ONE + m.4375-300 using the full functionality of this kit that is far better than the E-5's I sold !

Many on the Olympus e 4M in the UK have got rid of Canon & Nikon kits for the EM-1+ m.43 75-300

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Padre Paul - Have you got the hang of the INFO button and the Super Control Panel Menu Now ?
    and the Full MENU button for all menu ?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Chevvyf1
    Ned said "It didn't take me long to come to the healthy conclusion that the EM-1 is not a BIF camera with 4/3 lenses." The 75-300 is a m4/3 lens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Padre Paul - NOT the 4/3 70-300 the m43. 75-300 YOU WILL BE STAGGERED not just with this lens, but also the focus points a m.43 lens affords you on the m-1 go on buy online and try it
    The only thing that will stagger you with the m43 75-300 is how poorly it performs. It's a 6.7 lens at the long end. Do you know what this means for bird photography? Do you know how f6.7 affects autofocus in lower light conditions. I'm sorry but you don't. You keep suggesting this and that with no or very little experience on it's actual use.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I and a few others in the UK disagree ! and Bryce Bradford - this set are with the EM-5 - I cannot find the EM-1 Bifs from Bryce

and
    Bald Eagle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and WARBIRDS in Flight (these are using the EM-5 and m.43 75-300 - at a few thousand feet, granted the "bird is larger"

on overcast day
    Battle of Britain trio | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and with better light
    Hurricane bomber | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here are some of my FIRST Bifs with the ONE+ m.43 75-300

Image39 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and I am just waiting for the Red Kites season here ... and the you shall see some FAB Bifs with the ONE + m.4375-300 using the full functionality of this kit that is far better than the E-5's I sold !

Many on the Olympus e 4M in the UK have got rid of Canon & Nikon kits for the EM-1+ m.43 75-300
    The bird images you keep referring to are average at best. Sorry, but the EM-1 does not cut it, even compared to the E-5. You can keep posting average to below average bif images expecting to make a case for the camera. That may work with someone that does not know what a great BIF image looks like, but some of us have been doing this for a long time.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The only thing that will stagger you with the m43 75-300 is how poorly it performs. It's a 6.7 lens at the long end. Do you know what this means for bird photography? Do you know how f6.7 affects autofocus in lower light conditions. I'm sorry but you don't. You keep suggesting this and that with no or very little experience on it's actual use.
    Ned I have enough great images to know the ONE works for Bif as do many others in the UK

YES I do know how low light affects AF at 6.7 BUT DO YOU KNOW HOW my settings affect my captured images of Bif ???

See Here LOW LIGHT Bif - loads of good IMAGES

Brian Wadie's Images from Nature

Charlie Brown is a Peregrine Falcon - in October here in the UK most days light is POOR - and Carlie is one of the fastest birds on earth

and Surfers doing "tricks" LOW LIGHT again and greater distance

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The bird images you keep referring to are average at best. Sorry, but the EM-1 does not cut it, even compared to the E-5. You can keep posting average to below average bif images expecting to make a case for the camera. That may work with someone that does not know what a great BIF image looks like, but some of us have been doing this for a long time.
    We only got ONE in late September and most in October & November ! Here the light in the UK is dreadful this Autumnal days and not many birds about ... YES these images may be average at best - in this dreadful light ! BUT just wait until spring and summer and then see our Bif.

C-AF is *rap and Tr is NOT the Tracking as per Canon and Nikon - but if you can pan fast ... the ONE can capture the most staggering Bif images as the FIVE !

I only "came in here" to help those who have invested in the ONE to get better Bif images ! Now your all on your own ! Good luck ! and I hope you can figure out how to get the menu up

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Good luck.
    I'm glad I have no interest in shooting "birds in flight" on anything other than a casual basis.