Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: EM1 + Big Tuna&2x tele& autofocus = meltdown and an order of an E5

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: EM1 + Big Tuna&2x tele& autofocus = meltdown and an order of an E5

Oh now Godfrey, you'll peek...I guarantee it. We here on the forum know you can't help yourself. ;-)))

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

Myself, I'll just enjoy using both of them for their strengths, avoid the weaknesses, and make photographs. If I all of a sudden am overwhelmed with the desire to shoot BIF, I'll buy a Nikon or Canon ...

G
    I don't see how anyone could argue with that statement Cosmonaut.
    There is no camera made today that will do both well, without some another penalty.
    Diverse or suck it up!
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Last time I'll look at this thread. One of my very few BIF photos:

Made with an Olympus E-1 fitted with Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8. Manual focus, manual exposure ...

ta-ta.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

A followup of my post from last night about the flickering during focusing, for those still interested.
    With the 14-54 II, the refresh thing is still there, but far less, which leads me to believe that the 50-200 drains too much juice or somehow else overtaxes the E-M1s capabilities to the point where it barely works in poorish light, especially on the long end, and the EVF goes into survival mode. That is to say, it is not compatible with the E-M1, in spite of what the Oly honchos promised. The 14-54 works much better. But...
    My general observation about the EVF when the camera is NOT focusing, may have more to do with the nature of the EVF in general. Hold the camera still, and focus on something like a bunch of trees or a fence or anything clearly structured. Now, concentrate on any one detail and move the camera slowly from side to side. The object becomes blurry and it jitters until the movement of the camera stops, and then it pops back "into focus" as it were. Now, add to that the fact that with each slight change in exposure (I use normal spot) the EVF gets brighter and darker. The net result is a jittery, blurry, flashing VF that I find irritating. I have no problems with it at all if the camera is not moving, in fact, it is excellent.
    It is snowing lightly, and the light is 400 ISO, 1/200 at 5.6, dull, but far from bad. I cannot get the 50-200 at 200mm to focus on the opposite hillside AT ALL on the E-M1. Just searches back and forth and never locks on. The 5D goes bang! The E-30 goes bang! (so it is not the lens causing the problems!)...not a lot slower than the Canon, actually.
    I bought the E-M1 in the hope that the 50-200 would work on it and that it would be a replacement for the E-30. It doesn't. Can you blame me for feeling disappointed? Whether I keep it or not for its obvious strong points is still an open question. I may send it in just to find out if there really is something wrong with it, just to have peace of mind.
    Talk about being dependent on technology! We are all totally dependent on technology, AF, EVF, IS or otherwise. If something doesn't work like it should, we feel let down.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    It is snowing lightly, and the light is 400 ISO, 1/200 at 5.6, dull, but far from bad. I cannot get the 50-200 at 200mm to focus on the opposite hillside AT ALL on the E-M1. Just searches back and forth and never locks on. The 5D goes bang! The E-30 goes bang! (so it is not the lens causing the problems!)...not a lot slower than the Canon, actually.
    I bought the E-M1 in the hope that the 50-200 would work on it and that it would be a replacement for the E-30. It doesn't. Can you blame me for feeling disappointed?
    This is a very telling example, IMHO, Daniel. It hardly seems like an extreme or difficult test (unlike the infamous BIF), so I agree that it is pretty disappointing.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Point taken Don but the other companies haven't abandoned a perfectly good mount and left their faithful high and dry. Olympus should have waited until all the bugs were worked out of the m4/3rd system before dumping the 4/3rd line.
    Mirrorless technology isn't there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baldwinson View Post
    I don't see how anyone could argue with that statement Cosmonaut.
    There is no camera made today that will do both well, without some another penalty.
    Diverse or suck it up!
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

C'mon people, give Olympus some break - the CAF focus on E-M1 might not be identical to E-5 in terms of capability or function - but just remember, this is the first time they have really tried.

They will get there, with refinement and learning from pitfalls it should get to the point it becomes even better. It probably will never match Nikon's screwdriver focus speed, or Canon's algorithm but it will be a ton better then E-5 that's Im sure about.
    Focus depends on processing power and quantity of math that has to be done in shortest time possible (at the same time driving another variable that depends on physics). Moore's law guarantees the first thing is getting better every 18? months. Once when Olympus engineers figure their priorities and then put more emphasis on tracking capabilities they will get there.
    Just have some patience.

And if E-5 works for some things better then E-M1, then use it.
    That's what Im gonna do. I will actually gladly accept your SHG (never had one) for small exchange in monetary units to pay for post cost
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Maybe some of us pushing 70 year old farts don't feel like holding our breath any longer.

It was a long enough wait for the E-M1.

Have to agree with Cosmo. Ain't there yet...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default My two cents on the E-M1 for action shots

I have had my E-M1 for about 6 weeks now. As many of you know, I am basically a studio shooter. However when I received the camera I wanted to see how far I could push it.

My basic thought are, I love the EVF and I hate the EVF. I really like the camera size particularly with the grip attached. This surprised me as I thought I may not like to hold a small sized camera.

About a week ago, I had the opportunity to photograph a talent/beauty pageant in a small theater which had pretty bad lighting. I originally was concerned about shooting in relatively low light conditions at a relatively high shutter speed which would capture moving dancers.

I was quite pleased with the higher ISO settings that I used (2000 - 2500 ISO). What really bothered me was the trying to capture the ballet dancers who were running and jumping. I was sitting about 50 feet back from the stage. I was using my 50mm - 200mm lens, and trying to frame the dancer to fill as much of the frame as possible. As others have mentioned, the EVF drove me crazy. It was changing in intensity and appeared to be cutting in and out as I kept trying to find where the dancer was during their movements. I probably got about 10% of the images which I would show anyone from this shoot. If I were shooting for a client, I would have been in big trouble.

I can see where the conditions where I was shooting could possibly be similar to photographing birds in flight.

Over all, I think the camera is going to be great for my studio portrait work, but if I ever had to shoot an event like this pageant again for a client, I would take my E5 instead of the E-M1.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: My two cents on the E-M1 for action shots

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    I have had my E-M1 for about 6 weeks now. As many of you know, I am basically a studio shooter. However when I received the camera I wanted to see how far I could push it.

My basic thought are, I love the EVF and I hate the EVF. I really like the camera size particularly with the grip attached. This surprised me as I thought I may not like to hold a small sized camera.

About a week ago, I had the opportunity to photograph a talent/beauty pageant in a small theater which had pretty bad lighting. I originally was concerned about shooting in relatively low light conditions at a relatively high shutter speed which would capture moving dancers.

I was quite pleased with the higher ISO settings that I used (2000 - 2500 ISO). What really bothered me was the trying to capture the ballet dancers who were running and jumping. I was sitting about 50 feet back from the stage. I was using my 50mm - 200mm lens, and trying to frame the dancer to fill as much of the frame as possible. As others have mentioned, the EVF drove me crazy. It was changing in intensity and appeared to be cutting in and out as I kept trying to find where the dancer was during their movements. I probably got about 10% of the images which I would show anyone from this shoot. If I were shooting for a client, I would have been in big trouble.

I can see where the conditions where I was shooting could possibly be similar to photographing birds in flight.

Over all, I think the camera is going to be great for my studio portrait work, but if I ever had to shoot an event like this pageant again for a client, I would take my E5 instead of the E-M1.
    Did you try using live view boost,(cog "D")it may help.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by davsv1 View Post
    Did you try using live view boost,(cog "D")it may help.
    No, I had not used this. It was turned off. I just turned it on, and I am not sure what is supposed to happen.

I am sitting in my office which is lighted by one light in the corner of the room. As I sit in my swivel chair, look through the EVF, and swing around, the brightness of the screen changes the same whether I have the live view boost turned on, or turned off. I can't see any difference with it on or off.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

No, I had not used this. It was turned off. I just turned it on, and I am not sure what is supposed to happen.

I am sitting in my office which is lighted by one light in the corner of the room. As I sit in my swivel chair, look through the EVF, and swing around, the brightness of the screen changes the same whether I have the live view boost turned on, or turned off. I can't see any difference with it on or off.
    With live view boost on the brightness of the screen or evf is not supposed to change with changing lighting. What mode are you in A,P,M or S, I just tried mine and in S it keeps the evf bright. I do see the jittering though which I had never noticed before.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

With live view boost on the brightness of the screen or evf is not supposed to change with changing lighting. What mode are you in A,P,M or S, I just tried mine and in S it keeps the evf bright. I do see the jittering though which I had never noticed before.
    I had tried it in A, but just now I tried it in S and the screen got brighter when I was looking at a dark corner of the room, and it got very dark when I pointed it at my computer screen. The same thing happened in the A mode.

Have you tried pointing it a widely different lighting. Now that it is night time here, the side of my room opposite my light is very dark. This becomes very bright in the EVF when I point my camera in that direction, and it doesn't matter if the Live View Boost is turned On or Off.
    Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I had tried it in A, but just now I tried it in S and the screen got brighter when I was looking at a dark corner of the room, and it got very dark when I pointed it at my computer screen. The same thing happened in the A mode.

Have you tried pointing it a widely different lighting. Now that it is night time here, the side of my room opposite my light is very dark. This becomes very bright in the EVF when I point my camera in that direction, and it doesn't matter if the Live View Boost is turned On or Off.
    with the 12-40 lens on, going from light (open room with fluorescent lighting on ) to dark ( under my desk) to very bright ( computer monitor) it varies a little in brightness at 40mm, at 12mm the brightness is very consistant. With boost off, it becomes very dark under my desk

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

with the 12-40 lens on, going from light (open room with fluorescent lighting on ) to dark ( under my desk) to very bright ( computer monitor) it varies a little in brightness at 40mm, at 12mm the brightness is very consistant. With boost off, it becomes very dark under my desk
    I wonder if there is another setting in the camera causing the difference between what you are seeing and what I am seeing.
    Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    C'mon people, give Olympus some break - the CAF focus on E-M1 might not be identical to E-5 in terms of capability or function - but just remember, this is the first time they have really tried.
    What, you mean they didn't try on the E-5 or the E-3? What's truly embarrassing is that the C-AF on the E-5 is pretty basic, but they actually managed to regress with the E-M1, despite having 3 years to figure out how to improve it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

No, I think they didn't even try CAF yet.
    They did promise fast SAF speed, and I think they delivered (and marketed) the fastest SAF speed on the market.

When they figure out need for CAF, I believe they will be able to deliver that as well.

I have D700 and CAF to me is still pretty useless (even though it's supposed to be one of the best cameras in that regard)...that means I just don't know how to use it.

@ lkeeney

I believe you have some sort of amplification turned on (which is supposed to be a benefit of EVF vs OVF approach). It applies Auto ISO to a scene in order to help you to "see" in the dark. This is not available with OVF. But when light intensity is changing, then you will have very inconsistent results which might be detracting instead of helping you.
    You would need to consult a manual for finding this option and have it memorized so you can use it only when need it.
    It is same as in E-5 shooting live view, where I remember looking to find it once.
    Although when turned off it might reflect the current setting of the camera, which at F/2.8 and 1/200 might be pure blackness (without flash) which then renders EVF useless.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The C-AF on the Canon 5DII is very good, and even better on the 5DIII and 1Dx. But I think Canon has always been a bit ahead in that field.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    No, I think they didn't even try CAF yet.
    They did promise fast SAF speed, and I think they delivered (and marketed) the fastest SAF speed on the market.
    S-AF speed with native lenses has been advertised as the fastest since the E-P3, and the E-M5 and E-M1 have not noticeably improved it.

C-AF is the main AF improvement they note on the E-M1. So if it doesn't work, that's pretty woeful.

It's right there as the first bullet point on their site for the E-M1:

"The ultra-fast, highly versatile Dual FAST AF enables compatibility and precision focus at high speeds with both FTS and MFTS lenses. The intelligent E-M1 automatically adjusts between contrast detection AF and phase detection AF to ensure high accuracy, even with fast moving subjects."

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
    +1
    +2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've reached an agreement to sell my 300f2.8 and both teleconverters. A guy reached out to me on DPR who just happens to work for the same company as me and who just happens to live 5 minutes from my house. What are the odds of that? Makes the whole transaction experience so much easier. We met up yesterday on a rainy Sunday to test the lens. So, sorry but I won't have anything more to add to the EM-1/300mm discussion.

Here is what most likely be my last shot with this lens. Not my best work but good enough to prove that the lens works.

Good Luck,

Ned

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sorry, but why is Simon being singled out here? His post wasn't nearly as bad as some of the others on this thread.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Agree.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I agree with saburns-
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    4/3 ◙ OMD E-M5♠ E-PL5♣ MMF-3 12-50 40-150R 14-150 75-300MkII -- 4/3 ◙ Good ol' E-1☺ 14-42 40-150 14-54MkII

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You have GOT to be kidding. Write an apology to the guy who singlehandedly fires away with more directed criticism of others on the forum than everyone else put together........?

SMH

Leigh
    zippski