Thread: Well I bought a Canon 7D

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Well I bought a Canon 7D

and a 300MM USM F4 lens, just to see how it does AF on BIF, I guess I should have read into it more and maybe got an older 1D from reading Dons post for this purpose.. weather is really cold and either cloudy or snow, so all I got to do is play around with settings and a few practice shots thru windows in cloudy conditions, AF does seem a lot faster and quieter than OLY, but I got to say I hate the menu off the bat and I hate the dial set up with only the one front dial and it being behind the shutter and to adjust Aperture the big ring on back? anyway I got a pretty good deal, the body, 7000 clicks) and lens look like new, and I got both for less than the price of either new, so I am sure I can get most if not all of the investment back if I dont like it. I suppose I need to start thinning out the herd, with 5 bodys now, and just keep EM1 and E5 and the canon for BIF if I decide I like it or try a different canon body after I look at how they lay out the dials and buttons on it. wish this global warming would stop for a week or two so I could get out more Sun is out today but its below zero wind chills, may run out to the yard and take a few but I am not going anywhere.. hopefully a hawk will fly by before the clouds roll back in.. Still dont really understand the AF modes, but I guess I just put it at AF servo mode for CAF, Canon manual is no better than OLY's, maybe even worse so we have a tie there, did get thru my first firmware update without issues though
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Well I bought a Canon 7D

$hit's going to hit the fan now Jim

Arthur Morris has a 7D user guide specific to Birds, you might want to give it a look. https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/ca....aspx?catid=30

Good luck,

Ned

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Oh Jim you drank the Koolaid .Im going to try out one of those fancy smancy canon rigs myself im looking really hard at a ff set up though. Good luck with that new rig. This may help with setting up the AFCanon 7D: AI Servo Set-up for BIF (Bird in Flight) &#160 03/2010 | garyluhm.net Too bad about the weather sunny and the high is 70 over here
    Mike

I have color vision deficiency so let me know if I screw it up...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macromike View Post
    Oh Jim you drank the Koolaid .Im going to try out one of those fancy smancy canon rigs myself im looking really hard at a ff set up though. Good luck with that new rig. This may help with setting up the AFCanon 7D: AI Servo Set-up for BIF (Bird in Flight) &#160 03/2010 | garyluhm.net Too bad about the weather sunny and the high is 70 over here
    Thanks, will have to start all over, I wont give up on oly, I still like the images as long as my target isnt moving Just probably get down to a few lenses in 4/3rds, my EC's and 50-200 and 150, and maybe keep the 11-22 and or 50mm, but may just use the micro 4/3rds for wide angles and pick up a macro, If I get used to the canon and like it better when out for BIF I willl probably only invest in one 400MM and maybe a TC, and then decide if I want to try full frame.. or sell all the canon and try a Nikon darn long lenses just cost so much for the same lengths and speed and if I use a full frame, I need at least 500MM one way or the other.. but I guess if the canon slower lenses focus faster than OLY fast ones that wont be too bad.. I guess my like new EM5 and E3 will have t go even though I wont get much for them, it might help a bit to recoup some of my other costs, I just dont have room for all of it and dont use enough to justify, although the EM5 is really nice for night sky and telescope attachment, but I suppose the EM1 will also do OK, I just think the EM5 has less noise
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It took me a while to get used to the Canon menu system too, but once you figure it out it is easy enough to get around. 7D+300/4 should do very well! I have also heard/read from a number of people that the sensor in the 5 is marginally better than in the 1, others claim the opposite. If you are not dependent on the EVF, a 5 would do nicely on your scope.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Keep us posted Jim. You will get to grips with it pretty quickly, just give it a little time.
    We are off to the park for an annual event today. I always take the 1D and 400 which gives lovely creamy candid people shots. I might take a deep breath, flex my muscles and pop in the E-M1 and 75-300 as well, see what happens.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Just curious, no one goes the nikon route? Not that I'm interested either way, just wondering.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JimUSNY View Post
    and a 300MM USM F4 lens, just to see how it does AF on BIF, I guess I should have read into it more and maybe got an older 1D from reading Dons post for this purpose.. weather is really cold and either cloudy or snow, so all I got to do is play around with settings and a few practice shots thru windows in cloudy conditions, AF does seem a lot faster and quieter than OLY, but I got to say I hate the menu off the bat and I hate the dial set up with only the one front dial and it being behind the shutter and to adjust Aperture the big ring on back? anyway I got a pretty good deal, the body, 7000 clicks) and lens look like new, and I got both for less than the price of either new, so I am sure I can get most if not all of the investment back if I dont like it. I suppose I need to start thinning out the herd, with 5 bodys now, and just keep EM1 and E5 and the canon for BIF if I decide I like it or try a different canon body after I look at how they lay out the dials and buttons on it. wish this global warming would stop for a week or two so I could get out more Sun is out today but its below zero wind chills, may run out to the yard and take a few but I am not going anywhere.. hopefully a hawk will fly by before the clouds roll back in.. Still dont really understand the AF modes, but I guess I just put it at AF servo mode for CAF, Canon manual is no better than OLY's, maybe even worse so we have a tie there, did get thru my first firmware update without issues though
    Good, sounds like you are acquiring equipment that might suit your needs better.

I went the other way ... I bought a Sony A7 body and have just started figuring out how to use it. My goal (need) is to use my beloved old Leica SLR lenses with a digital body, and adapting them to the smaller formats (APS-C and FourThirds) does not work as well as I'd hoped. It's a clunky little POS in many ways, but it has a lovely viewfinder and an excellent sensor ... and menus that make Olympus menus seem a thing of beauty .. along with just enough ability to be customized that I have made it do what I want it to do easily. I've tested three lenses on it so far (Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4, Summicron-R 90mm f/2) and all three work beautifully.

The Olympus E-M1 remains a high water mark of modern camera technology, and I'm delighted with it. The A7 and my old lenses is a bywater that will prove fun.

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

Good luck with the Canon!

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by caurt View Post
    Just curious, no one goes the nikon route? Not that I'm interested either way, just wondering.

See my signature below, couldn't be more pleased..

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800/D500
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    Birds and other stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post

See my signature below, couldn't be more pleased..

Cheers, Don
    aah, right :-).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Seeing all the nature photographers peel off one by one on this forum (and most others) to other makes certainly reinforces my decision NOT to buy into the micro hype. I remain pretty satisfied with my E-5 and, with paying for a new house this year, I am in absolutely no hurry to change brands.

That's not to say that if Olympus never sees fit to bring back a proper DSLR or at least make the micro stuff work a whole lot better than the EM-1 does with phase detect lenses, I'm officially on the sidelines (for now), then, if nothing changes, officially out.

Shame, the big SHG teles are a work of art, and the 2X crop factor was brilliantly executed in terms of reach. So, Olympus will not get another penny from me in the short term.

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by caurt View Post
    I went Nikon but kept my Olympus gear as well. Nikon D7100 and D800 working on building the lens collection out now.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

For me it was a question of supply and demand, and future planning. Big, long Nikon super-ts are few and far between. I like the Nikon bodies better, but I like the Canon lenses and AF better.
    None of it is ideal. To me, the ideal camera would be Canon lenses and AF, Nikon sensors and OVFs, and the build quality of an E-M1. The Olcankon XZ-1!

All are good. Each one kicks ass in its own way. We are so lucky to even have such incredible stuff to work/play with.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think that if your main gripe with Olympus is lack of continuous AF, the best way to solve that is Canon. m4/3 has a lot of strengths, but CAF is not one of them, and you gotta pick the right tool for the job.
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Precisely!
    The E-M1 is the first camera I have held that reminds me of my old Leica M3. Not that it is that similar, but the build quality and the sound of the shutter and the overall concept is right up there. Just shouts quality. But C-AF and AF on long 4/3 lenses in general.... well....
    We get so spoiled so easily! When I think that I, and a LOT of other people, made our livings with M3s! AF? What's that?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zippski View Post
    Seeing all the nature photographers peel off one by one on this forum (and most others) to other makes certainly reinforces my decision NOT to buy into the micro hype. I remain pretty satisfied with my E-5 and, with paying for a new house this year, I am in absolutely no hurry to change brands.

That's not to say that if Olympus never sees fit to bring back a proper DSLR or at least make the micro stuff work a whole lot better than the EM-1 does with phase detect lenses, I'm officially on the sidelines (for now), then, if nothing changes, officially out.

Shame, the big SHG teles are a work of art, and the 2X crop factor was brilliantly executed in terms of reach. So, Olympus will not get another penny from me in the short term.

Leigh
    zippski
    I am pretty happy with the EM1 overall, I actually even like the EVF now, although there is something about an OVF for birds in flight...
    Since I have only used Olympus since getting back into it, I thought I would give a canon a try since OLY doesnt seem to be interested in keeping 4/3rds alive and improving AF, and the EM1 is even worse than the E5 for Birds in flight and even perched sometimes with 4/3rds lenses, and I wonder if its even possible to make a long 4/3rds lens fast enough to match the speed and IQ of the 4/3rds lenses or if they will AF fast enough either, so decided to try something else.. I do not know if the next high end micro 4/3rds body will be better, or if they will even try to improve it for 4/3rds if they are out of the business, but I cant just keep buying more bodies based on promises, so your probably better off hanging onto the E5 and see what happens next.. I wish I didn't buy the EM5 and used that money for trying something else back then, but was still hoping for an E7.. I do not like the small viewfinder and it was too small for my hands, fumbling around for buttons and dials and with 4/3 big lenses terrible at AF the 4/3rds lenses.
    the EM1 is a nice camera for sure, although I still wish it was a bit bigger, and if it could AF just a little better than the E5 for what I shoot then I would be very happy with it, with the long lenses it even has trouble on perched birds sometimes , but when you get it right though it makes a beautiful image..

I took a few shots yesterday with the canon, couldn't believe how fast it AF'ed , even in really not so great conditions, the IQ not sure, the only BIF I saw was a white seagull off pretty far against overcast sky after the sun was gone, and it still focused right in and tracked it beautifully, and I was set to single spot, they were all in focus, but being so dark and far off not much detail. will see how the IQ is compared to the EM1 when I get some good sun and a chance to get out there with both bodies

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saburns View Post
    I went Nikon but kept my Olympus gear as well. Nikon D7100 and D800 working on building the lens collection out now.
    I was debating on what to try, either a d7100 or canon of some type, when I saw the prices on the canon and lens that I got I said well, if I dont like it I should be bale to get most if not all my money back and try something else.. which I wont even come close to recouping my costs if I sell some of my 4/3rds stuff which makes it even harder to do for me.. should just do it and get what I can now, I wont give up my E5, 150 and 50-200 and EC's, but probably should just sell the rest of the 4/3rds wide glass, except the 11-22mm maybe. and EM5 and E3
    my OM350 I will keep for now anyway, AF dont matter on it not sure if it will work on a canon body though
    I will keep the EM1, and the 2 micro 4/3rds lenses I have, even if just wide angle and for travel in a small package, and scope mounting
    I think Daniel is right, we need someone to make a Canikolyony

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Jim,
    Did you get my PM last night? I assume not, so I repeat..
    I was playing around with the 5DII with the 400/5.6 and a Kenko DGX 1.4x TC on it, just to see how low it would go, so to speak, and still auto focus. I ended up with ISO 400, 8 seconds at f8, and it was right on. I could barely see what I was aiming at.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Put a Zeiss on that a7 and the watermark may go up a couple of notches. I would shoot with a Sony just to use the 24-70mm alone. Not to mention the Sony 35mm 1.4 A mount. Your journey is just beginning. I have a 50mm Elmar I use on the a7.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Good, sounds like you are acquiring equipment that might suit your needs better.

I went the other way ... I bought a Sony A7 body and have just started figuring out how to use it. My goal (need) is to use my beloved old Leica SLR lenses with a digital body, and adapting them to the smaller formats (APS-C and FourThirds) does not work as well as I'd hoped. It's a clunky little POS in many ways, but it has a lovely viewfinder and an excellent sensor ... and menus that make Olympus menus seem a thing of beauty .. along with just enough ability to be customized that I have made it do what I want it to do easily. I've tested three lenses on it so far (Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4, Summicron-R 90mm f/2) and all three work beautifully.

The Olympus E-M1 remains a high water mark of modern camera technology, and I'm delighted with it. The A7 and my old lenses is a bywater that will prove fun.

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

Good luck with the Canon!

G