Thread: About that E-1 ...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default About that E-1 ...

Unusual to see an article about an 11 year old camera show up in a "more current things" photo blog ...

Revisiting the past: the 2003 Olympus E-1 ‚€“ Ming Thein | Photographer

Godfrey

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: About that E-1 ...

A very interesting article. Thanks for the link.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I find this statement in the article to be so true:
    "I think we’ve gone backwards in the camera-ness department. I realise this is highly subjective – but I don’t quite get the same experience or feel with the E-M1."
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    I find this statement in the article to be so true:
    "I think we’ve gone backwards in the camera-ness department. I realise this is highly subjective – but I don’t quite get the same experience or feel with the E-M1."
    Yes, highly subjective.

The E-M1 is a smaller, denser, far more feature rich camera than the E-1 ... yet also lighter and much more configurable. It takes much more intellectual energy to figure it out and configure it for use, and it has so much stuff in it that if you're drawn to dabble with all of that it can be daunting. However, since I am experienced and relatively focused in what I what my camera to do, once over the hump of learning it, I have found that it is now configured as I want it to be, everything I use falls to hand without thought, and it has become as transparent as the E-1, or even as my old Nikon F and Leica M4-2 are. "It just works" and I don't think about it much anymore.

The same has happened with the Sony A7 now ... It's a camera that has a wonderful sensor and viewfinder, but a lot of rough edges in ergonomic design and operation. I use it in a very specific way, however, and it has just enough customizability that I've been able to reduce the complexity to what's important to me, and put everything into a very handy working tool.

I think we simply have to approach modern tools with different eyes and an open mind.

Of course, some tools are always going to be better suited to doing one thing or another, so I always approach new tools from the point of view of "what do I do with the old tool? How does the new tool achieve that? Which works better for me to get the job done?"

The problem for many of today's cameras isn't built quality and materials. The problem is that today's cameras are extraordinarily versatile compared to ye olde Nikon F and they stretch our comfort zone in learning them. Many do not want to have to learn anything beyond what they're already comfortable with, I think, and many see the complexity and assume that the camera is somehow intelligent—will do the job for them—and then their expectations are dashed. Because in the end, they are just, still, cameras.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, I guess it is just like any mechanic's tool. When you get old like me, I can get the job done quicker if I grab an old comfortable wrench as opposed to grabbing one of the new fancy wrenches.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Unusual to see an article about an 11 year old camera show up in a "more current things" photo blog ...
    Excellent article. Also good to see that he doesn't succumb to nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. As he notes,

"Very high quality prints might be a challenge at anything over 5◊7″, especially with the new print process Iím experimenting with. To make things worse, my sample appears to focus somewhat inconsistently; mostly overly front-biased. Iím starting to think that older cameras didnít have better AF modules than newer ones: we just didnít have the resolution to tell that things were slightly out of focus."

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dhazeghi View Post
    Excellent article. Also good to see that he doesn't succumb to nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. As he notes,
    Ive made some very nice 13x19 inch prints with my E-1. John Isaac's prints at his exhibition were about double that size. Ming doesn't know what he's talking about ...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Ive made some very nice 13x19 inch prints with my E-1. John Isaac's prints at his exhibition were about double that size. Ming doesn't know what he's talking about ...
    As is often said--at least in the context of art photography or photography as "furniture"--it's all about the viewing distance. When I attended the rollout for the E-330 at Olympus headquarters in west Shinjuku, I remember seeing gorgeous wall prints two meters wide that had been made with the E-1. Sure, viewed up close they had about as much resolution as a billboard, but from the proper distance they were great. Even better prints--in terms of resolution--at the E-3 rollout, although they hadn't been printed as large as those in the Olympus headquarters.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hello All. Looks like this forum is slowed down a bit. Thought I'd share an experience with you. Passed my wedding business onto my daughter , so my E-520 gear gas been in the closet for some time. My wife and I took a trip to Michigan in July, via Niagara Falls, through Canada. So I pulled out my E-520 gear and my little Oly P&S for the trip. The E-520 stayed in the back of the car the entire trip, using the P&S. We arrived at our destination (relatives). Being too tired after hiking around the falls, we chatted awhile and called it a night.

Well, being too lazy to point my key fob out the window to lock the car, we woke up the next morning to discover my wife's Brothers car had been broken into, and yes, mine. The complete camera bag gone. E520, 3 lenses, flash and my C5050. But not the P&S. Contacted the police, and that was that. My wife wondered why I even brought that kit with me.

After reading the above link, that got me to thinking (dangerous) . I couldn't beleive what prices, you can get a E-1 and a lens for today. Using Ebay and KEH, I built a nice E-1 system, 3 lenses, 2 flashes (FL20 & FL40), accessories and cables for under $400.

My main concern was being able to print up to 13x19 enlargements. After processing a few raw files , converting to tiff, the enlargements stand up to my E520's prints. I'm quit impressed. I also found a copy of Studio 2, and now can shoot tethered.

What a deal this turned out to be. Now I'm ready for the New England Fall season.
    Last edited by Kcblair; 09-17-2015 at 06:43 AM.
    Ken
    E-1 ,C5060 C4000, , SP500, SP570, SZ-12, ,Lots of misc flashes and studio stuff (Gowland 4x5, Hassy)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I bought an E-1 on eBay, which came with a 14-54 f/2.8 lens, and have been quite pleased with it. It was purchased as a back-up for my E-30, and frankly, I get along better with the E-1.
    Diana

"Art must always follow nature and never oppose it."

http://www.resurrectionfarmphotography.com/
    (Website on hiatus until I am settled permanently once again)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ddaside88 For This Useful Post:

Kcblair (09-17-2015)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yep, the E-1 is a lot more fun featured loaded and fun to use, than was my E520, as it should be for a Pro-quality camera. I was a little concerned about the 5mp vs. 10mp, but but not now.

Now I'm looking for a C5050 (was my street camera) to replace the one stolen .
    Ken
    E-1 ,C5060 C4000, , SP500, SP570, SZ-12, ,Lots of misc flashes and studio stuff (Gowland 4x5, Hassy)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

this has nothing to do with one's 'intellectual ability' to adapt to changing tools. that opinion is the product a snobby, elitist, self-congratulatory world view. this is about choice made via an individuals own intellectual process. if that choice is different than mine, and that choice values older tools more than modern, that does not make that person a luddite. i have used scores of cameras in my life, including most recently the state of the art sony cameras. with very rare exception i have never had issues setting them up so that i do not have to think about settings. certainly that was not an issue with the current sonys.

however, my choice was to abandon the sony because i enjoyed using older tools more and liked the resulting images better. my choice was not the product of inferior intellect or inability 'to adapt', but rather a considered, intellectually rational one based on what i like. i have zero, zip, nada concern nor opinion about why anyone else likes what they like. its none of my business. what i dont understand is this seemingly obsessive desire some have to vault their personal choices over others, either through psuedo science, or here through psuedo intellectualism. this hobby, like all artistic endeavors, is fully subjective. leave your insecurities at home, and let others enjoy their own preferences.

as for the OT, whether or not 'ming' (i guess we're on a first name basis here) 'knows what he's talking about', is also a matter of opinion. i think his points are excellent, and they were made without some inner need to put other opinions down. score one for ol' ming.
    Tony
    Panasonic L1 + Leica 14-50/2.8 Vario Elmarit, Oly 50/2 macro & 40-150mm

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yeah I made a 133"x144" print from my E-3 that looked amazing.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kcblair View Post
    I was a little concerned about the 5mp vs. 10mp, but but not now.
    Speaking of upsizing, I found a pretty nice interpolation program called SmillaEnlarger:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/imageenlarger/

I did some testing, and it does produce better results (smoother edges, etc) than my usual editor Corel PaintShop Pro. I suppose everyone uses Lightroom and I don't know how it compares to that, but for those on a budget, SmillaEnlarger is worth a try.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks RAH. I'll download a copy and check it out. I use Paintshop Pro X4.
    Ken

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I still got my E1 from 2004 and with the vertical grip its the best shaped/handling camera have ever used. I'm pretty sure I don't be buying any more Olympus cameras unless they have something E1 shaped. As much as I love me E5 its a bit big. I'd go with Panasonic GH4+ but don't like that it does not have in body stabilization and they feel cheap. So I guess I'll use the E5 for 9 years like the E1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Couldn't agree more. Yes, that grip is really great. Picked up one from KEH , a few weeks back, $70, with charger !! What a deal. I'll be enjoying my E-1 for years to come.
    Ken