Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those that jumped ship and changed systems...(contemplating)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default For those that jumped ship and changed systems...(contemplating)

About 4 years ago I purchased my first camera system, the Olympus E620, not really sure what to do when I walked into a camera store. I wanted to go from a point-and-shoot to a DSLR. I also was attracted by the cropped sensor on an Olympus as I liked wildlife. I was quite happy with what I got.

In the years that followed, I got the E5, then the EM1, and then the E5 (again), and shelled out cash for the Bigma, then the Big Tuna with the 2x teleconverter. Overall, no real problems. Still getting used to the set-up on the EM1, but my biggest frustration is that it sometimes has to hunt it seems, and is really not the best for birds in flight, but I have the E5 for that. With the crop factor, I can shoot at 1200mm equivalent, which is just fine.

However, over the past year every so often I go online and see how much a "dream system" would be on a comparable canon lineup. On Adorama for fun, I typed in my "wish list" in terms of what I'd get: a 7D, a flash, a 17-55, 10-22mm, a 100-400mm, and the big kahuna, the 800mm lens along with a 1.4 tele. I could grab the 7D and the 800mm used, and with all of this stuff it comes to $15K (Please send donations to...).

I have to call them, but I'd be curious what the difference would be were I to sell what I have now: the 2 bodies, the 70-300, the 50-200, the 12-60 and 9-18, along with the flash and two teleconverters. They were closed, but I'd be real curious if it would be around $10K. That's my guesstimate. All of the equipment is in fine shape.

That leaves a big difference of $5K give or take, and admittedly I'm a bit torn. I can take advantage of good credit and very low interest; my friend, another priest, did this to build himself a cabin and owes a lot more than that. I've heard from people on this forum and other places how fast Canon is, but then again I ask myself is the difference that much more noticeable, shooting with a long Canon glass on a 7D as opposed to what I have now? Would the "hunting" be less on birds in flight and would it do a nice job of locking in on warblers and song birds, or a soaring eagle? Or is it slightly better but not worth the hassle? I'm just wondering to myself would I go out with the Canon, and be like "wow, that didn't take long" and get a nice, sharp image, or would I go out and have the same experiences of hunting, soft images, noise issues, and be like the guy at end of Bridge on the River Kwai, "what have I done? what have I done?"

Admittedly like I said I'm torn. The prices are high, but taking advantage of used gear that is available and in good shape has me pondering cashing in my chips with my Olympus gear and going to the Canon side. The bottom line is my favorite hobby is birding, and in photography at the end of the day, there is only one thing I care about: birds. The other stuff is all secondary. I've taken a lot of lovely images with what I have and can continue to do so, but for birders out there or for anyone who has used Canon gear, would love to hear your thoughts.

What to do, what to do. Thanks for any feedback. I almost did this last year too. With the used 800 out there at Adorama, I'm seriously thinking about doing this.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1
    70-300, 9-18, 12-60, 50-200, Olympus Zuiko 300 f2.8, EC 14 & EC 20, shutter remote, FL 50

www.fatherpaul.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: For those that jumped ship and changed systems...(contemplating)

You could look at Cameta refurbished although its mostly Nikons. On the used market is KEH I have had good luck on the BGN lenses that have character and they do have a generous return policy. The two D7K I bought one was refurbished with refurbished lenses from Cameta and the second body was a new from B&H when the D7100 were coming out. I am not an early adopter I usually buy refurbished including my 27" iMac with a 1T Fusion drive I still get a full warranty and did opted for the extended warrant. iFixit now has the tape and method of taking apart.
    Also look into lens rentals before buying a lens to see if you really need it.
    I still shoot with both the Olympus E30 and D7K on most my jobs.

Just my 2

Thanks
    Feedback Score

1) I don't think you're comparing the 2 systems fairly. The 7D + 800mm, given the 1.62x crop factor involved, is already 1296mm equivalent, without any teleconverters. Really, the difference between Canon APS-C and 4/3 is very small.

2) I think $10k for your gear is ambitious. I would put it at $8500-$9000.

Really, if you want to compare the two system, a better competing kit of the E-5 + 300mm f/2.8 would be the 1DmIV + 500mm f/4 (would be 627mm equiv). I believe a used 500mm f/4 would go for the same as an Oly 300mm f/2.8 as there's now a new version out, so then its just a cost of everything else.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score

C'mon, you know you want the 200-400/2.8 with the flip-in teleconverter. All in!

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_D View Post
    C'mon, you know you want the 200-400/2.8 with the flip-in teleconverter. All in!Cheers,Rick
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1
    70-300, 9-18, 12-60, 50-200, Olympus Zuiko 300 f2.8, EC 14 & EC 20, shutter remote, FL 50

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

I have been jumping ships since 2008 -and I have come to the conclusion that the grass is seldom greener on the other side.

But I am fortunate that I don't shoot action, wildlife or BIF. I think those are the most demanding subjects that exists, and you really need premium kit for that. But it is going to cost so much it hurts.

I think a good Canon system would be the ticket for your type of shooting; I agree that an 1DMkIV and a 500mm f/4 is a good place to start - maybe add a 1.4 converter in addition. The reason I prefer Canon before Nikon is that Canon handles high ISO a bit better.
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Well Padre it's the price of admission. I am with Sony and couldn't be happier. It did take a long time to get where I am at but I am glad I did it. I had rather have the camera I want and a bag of cheap primes than stay with something I am not completely happy with. Sell a couple of lenses you could maybe do without get the Canon and a lens you want and work on getting the rest. I swapped, sold, and bargained hunted a long time. I rarely buy new lenses because with some shopping around I can save a lot. You would be surprised at the people that have things for sale and are willing to trade instead. I actually found gear on Craigslist and bought it with the soul purpose of turning it for more money or trading it out for something else.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I do appreciate the feedback. I must say it is tempting, and I am seriously considering it. The bottom line questions for me are again, 1) will a 800 and 7D set-up be noticeably quicker on birds and especially birds in flight, and 2) will noise be OK at 1000 ISO and 3) is 1296 mm really all that noticeable? (Though I think it would be about 1600 with the 1.4 tele).

It's a big deal, and I suppose I'm kind of crazy in a sense to go through all that just to get bird shots, but birds are really all I care about, though I shoot other things as well. I'm so passionate about getting the bird in focus, getting it right and going out and finding some peace in nature. Of course a lot of it is the camera operator, but I've just sensed that I may indeed have better luck with the Canon set-up, even though this stuff isn't cheap. At least however I'd be getting a good return on my investment into Olympus. And again, Olympus is by no means bad - it's been great, and it does just fine on a number of things. Maybe I'm getting my hopes up a bit much for what Canon can do, but it was the line in another thread where a poster said he was on a trip to I think Antarctica and something about the Canon people having no problem hitting their shots while his hunted. I have to think not having a teleconverter would also help a bit with the 800, though one is available at 1.4 and it will work with the center focusing point. It seems this set-up might give me all the reach you can possible get, meaning less cropping, and it might also be a bit more efficient to focus. I also worry in the back of my mind what about the future of my gear, with micro-four thirds now taking over. Sure there's the adaptor and these lenses will continue to be made, but will they keep their value in a few years?

I'll be curious what I get offered for it.
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

A far, far cheaper method for your decidedly non-pro purposes is to stick with the E-5, search around for a used 4/3 Sigmonster, and don't crop. 12 beautiful MP and it works. A lot of folks don't realize that to crop a 36MP D800 to the same FOV as a 4/3 camera mounted with a lens of similar focal length leaves only 9MP, not 18MP (think of a FF "picture in picture" screen divided into quarters - one quarter represents 4/3). Same principle with Canon APS-C -the math is not 1.6 divided by 2 in terms of dividing pixels/mm of reach.

Yes, 4/3 Sigmonsters are still around. I *almost* pulled the trigger on a used Sigmonster I found in Calgary just before Christmas, but the combination of me being newly p*ssed a Olympus for abandoning us, and mostly, the fact that I was way over budget on my house renovations, put the brakes on that purchase. I'm still looking.

In reality, outside your 300mm, your gear ain't worth much in trade, even the used EM-1.

Sigmonster is the cheaper way to go, and 1600mm is about the practical limit before atmospheric haze begins to degrade images anyway.

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I "jumped ship" on 4/3 when I picked up my first m4/3, the E-M1. Now, I take the little jewel everywhere I go, which was not the case before.
    I did keep my 4/3 lenses, which work exceptionally well (I don't photograph birds).
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by padrepaul77 View Post
    About 4 years ago I purchased my first camera system, the Olympus E620, not really sure what to do when I walked into a camera store. I wanted to go from a point-and-shoot to a DSLR. I also was attracted by the cropped sensor on an Olympus as I liked wildlife. I was quite happy with what I got.

In the years that followed, I got the E5, then the EM1, and then the E5 (again), and shelled out cash for the Bigma, then the Big Tuna with the 2x teleconverter. Overall, no real problems. Still getting used to the set-up on the EM1, but my biggest frustration is that it sometimes has to hunt it seems, and is really not the best for birds in flight, but I have the E5 for that. With the crop factor, I can shoot at 1200mm equivalent, which is just fine.

However, over the past year every so often I go online and see how much a "dream system" would be on a comparable canon lineup. On Adorama for fun, I typed in my "wish list" in terms of what I'd get: a 7D, a flash, a 17-55, 10-22mm, a 100-400mm, and the big kahuna, the 800mm lens along with a 1.4 tele. I could grab the 7D and the 800mm used, and with all of this stuff it comes to $15K (Please send donations to...).
    FWIW, my friend has tested the Canon 500, 600 and 800 (he does a lot of BIF). The 800 is a bit unwieldy and it's optically the weakest of the 3. I don't know what you shoot that requires that kind of reach, but I think the better option would be a secondhand 500/4L (mk1) and a 1.4X teleconverter ($6-7k secondhand). It's a tremendous lens with very good reach, and it's only about 20% heavier than your 300/2.8, so it's still hand-holdable. If you do BIF, you really can't do better than that lens anyway paired with a 1Dmk4. If your subjects are more stationary, you can probably get by with the 7D, although in my opinion that sensor doesn't quite do the lens justice.

The best thing you can do though is to rent before purchasing - that way there are no unpleasant surprises. I think you'll quickly find that there's a reason folks who are really serious about wildlife use white lenses.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zippski View Post
    A far, far cheaper method for your decidedly non-pro purposes is to stick with the E-5, search around for a used 4/3 Sigmonster, and don't crop. 12 beautiful MP and it works. A lot of folks don't realize that to crop a 36MP D800 to the same FOV as a 4/3 camera mounted with a lens of similar focal length leaves only 9MP, not 18MP (think of a FF "picture in picture" screen divided into quarters - one quarter represents 4/3). Same principle with Canon APS-C -the math is not 1.6 divided by 2 in terms of dividing pixels/mm of reach.

Yes, 4/3 Sigmonsters are still around. I *almost* pulled the trigger on a used Sigmonster I found in Calgary just before Christmas, but the combination of me being newly p*ssed a Olympus for abandoning us, and mostly, the fact that I was way over budget on my house renovations, put the brakes on that purchase. I'm still looking.

In reality, outside your 300mm, your gear ain't worth much in trade, even the used EM-1.

Sigmonster is the cheaper way to go, and 1600mm is about the practical limit before atmospheric haze begins to degrade images anyway.

Leigh
    zippski
    Yes, I've also considered that. I can get a new one on Amazon that I presume they have had for a while for $7,995; though were I to do that I'd likely sell the Big Tuna for it. But I wasn't too happy with the Bigma; it was good, just seemed to not be quite as sharp as the Big Tuna has been. It basically comes down to wanting sharpness, reach, and less hunting time and a seeming very good value on the used 800 I'm looking at. Still not sure what I'll end up doing.
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Leigh
    zippski
    Yes, but the newer Nikon APS-C cameras with the 24 MP sensors have almost the same pixel density as the E-M1 (or E-M5). In fact the D7100 has an in camera crop mode that gives you a 2x crop at just slightly less MP than the u4/3 sensors. And it has more MP (24 vs 18) and more focus points (51 vs 19) than the 7D.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I would not get a used 1DIV without first having a GOOD look at a new 5DIII for the same price! Far better AF system and IQ at the "cost" of 6 fps vs 10 fps, if that is important to you. A 1DIV at full bore will scare anything away except maybe the neighbors dog. Birds don't take kindly to that kind of noise. The 5DIII is not all that quiet either. Now if they could make a DSLR that sounds like the E-M1.... that would be a bird photographer's delight!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Leigh
    zippski
    Why dig yourself deeper into the hole? Olympus does not make cameras for birding, never has. Pretending it does is kind of like pretending you can shoot video with the E-M1. Well, you kind of can, just like you kind of can do birding. But buying a Panasonic would serve you much better for video. Just like buying a camera with the latest advances in C-AF would serve you much better for birding.

4/3 is dead. There will be no more DSLRs. The advantage of m4/3 over other formats is SIZE. That's the main reason to pick m4/3. If size is of no consequence, why bother with the small sensor? For the reach? The 500mm f/4 or 600mm f/4 has the same reach and is almost the same size and the same price and APS-H/Full Frame has far better high ISO performance to make up for the slower f-stop and then some, and has better focusing, and has better future support, and has more lens choices. Why stick with a dead format?

Those 4/3 lenses are not going to go up in price. Their price is only going in one direction. In fact, now that Olympus has a m4/3 telephoto on their lineup I would seriously consider selling out.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I "jumped ship" to Canon for wildlife photography a few years ago when I finally convinced myself that the mythical E-50 was never going to happen. So I got a 60D plus the Canon 400mm 5.6L lens, which is their least expensive "big grey" prime lens.

I can tell you that after having used this Canon combo for a while, I almost felt like writing Olympus a letter thanking them for NOT producing the E-50 and "forcing" me into the Canon camp. It's just so much better for wildlife photography.

So, if you could spring for the 500mm lens plus at least the 70D or higher, it would be even better, of course.

As you may have noticed, I still have my old Oly equipment and am almost certain to be jumping back in and getting probably an E-M10, but certainly not for wildlife.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    I "jumped ship" to Canon for wildlife photography a few years ago when I finally convinced myself that the mythical E-50 was never going to happen. So I got a 60D plus the Canon 400mm 5.6L lens, which is their least expensive "big grey" prime lens.

I can tell you that after having used this Canon combo for a while, I almost felt like writing Olympus a letter thanking them for NOT producing the E-50 and "forcing" me into the Canon camp. It's just so much better for wildlife photography.

So, if you could spring for the 500mm lens plus at least the 70D or higher, it would be even better, of course.

As you may have noticed, I still have my old Oly equipment and am almost certain to be jumping back in and getting probably an E-M10, but certainly not for wildlife.
    Yes, I've looked on forums at the 500, 600 and 800, and every owner likes the merits of each lens. I was looking at the 800 just for the value and reach, but I'm sure each one has its pros and cons. The other issue was the 7D which will be replaced vs. the 70D, which is newer.

Again I initially bought into Olympus thinking it was the perfect camera for the wildlife person because it gave you a 2x crop and their lenses were slightly less expensive, and while it's very good I just think another route would be a little better.

I also watched a video online on youtube of a wildlife guy comparing a 5DII, 7D and 70D which is quite interesting - he recommended the cropped sensor camera so were I to cash in my chips with Olympus it would be one of those two models.
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just out of curiosity, why are you only considering Canon?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

For my style of shooting my Oly gear has been more than adequate. I am sorry I purchsed the 90-250 last August, but my other SHGs and HGs suit me just fine, (even if they are slower on the E-M1.
    It has become so obvious that Olympus has decided to withdraw from any semblance of being a pro camera manufacturer!
    They have now introduced 3 new OMD models for the masses, when the could have given the really serious people a camera that could have kept up with the outstanding SHG glass they had produced. We will soon see every one of the SHGs and 4/3rds lenses start to be discontinued as inventory is depleted, because there is absolutely no reason to keep manufacturung them and trying to feed a dead horse!

Paul,
    cut your losses now! Oly has never really be in the same league as Canikon as far as wildlife or sports,get whatever you can out of a trade in of your gear, move on and don't look back!
    David

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dh202 View Post
    For my style of shooting my Oly gear has been more than adequate. I am sorry I purchsed the 90-250 last August, but my other SHGs and HGs suit me just fine, (even if they are slower on the E-M1.
    It has become so obvious that Olympus has decided to withdraw from any semblance of being a pro camera manufacturer!
    They have now introduced 3 new OMD models for the masses, when the could have given the really serious people a camera that could have kept up with the outstanding SHG glass they had produced. We will soon see every one of the SHGs and 4/3rds lenses start to be discontinued as inventory is depleted, because there is absolutely no reason to keep manufacturung them and trying to feed a dead horse!

Paul,
    cut your losses now! Oly has never really be in the same league as Canikon as far as wildlife or sports,get whatever you can out of a trade in of your gear, move on and don't look back!
    David
    I'm seriously looking at that...just kind of a gut feeling. What I have is fine, but I'm concerned about where the future will take what I have, and as, sad as it may sound, going out to chase birds and getting that shot right brings me a lot of joy, I'm probably going to end up cutting my losses. It's not to say that Olympus does not make great glass and has been great in a lot of regards, but as someone invested solely in four-thirds, while I can still get a halfway decent price for what I purchased, I think now is the time to cash in my chips and invest in another system. Who knows, I could get my new gear, and find that I'm frustrated again with the lens hunting for things or being slow on AF, but I think it will serve me well. I don't want to spend a week in Ohio yelling at my camera, or also wake up to get a notice that four-thirds lenses are no longer being made and that firmware updates are now done as micro is the way of the future.
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by saburns View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why are you only considering Canon?
    Good question. Nikon is great too, but it came down to value of the system and pricing as I can get some gear used at a good price.
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I really think the biggest decision for you now will be... how important BIF is to you ? ,as opposed to stationary birds, and which camera is going to have the best bang for the buck as far as C-AF is concerned if BIF is going to take precedence.

I was an avid birder in my youth. To have such a passion for bird photgraphy is wonderful!!
    Glenn Bartley, who posts on Luminous Landscape, posts some very wonderful pics that he mostly shoots with a Canon 7D lately
    Login
    Glenn Bartley Nature Photography - Bird Photography, Nature Photography, Articles, Workshops.

David

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Paul, you say that birds are what interests you most, and this being the case, there is no question you will be happier if you jump ship. A few days ago I was wandering the dunes behind the beach and this hunter popped into sight, saw me and swung away. Caught out for settings or anything, I reflexively swung up, bang, bang, bang and a dozen images were in the bag. While the shots were not the best,(spot metering essential), dark against light needing lots to be lifted out, big crop, at least I got some shots to remember the special moment. If I had my Oly, it would still be hunting the sky for focus.
    I remember the first time at the racing bikes coming at me down the straight, and images at 10fps in focus, could not believe it. Of course it fails sometimes, needs about a second to latch on, and if you miss the results are as bad as an E-3.
    But for others to whom BIF is a part time fancy, Oly is great. I struggled some at the bikes yesterday, with about 25% keepers using the E-M1, but boy it was fun.
    Cheers,
    Don

Attachment 47391

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by padrepaul77 View Post

I have to call them, but I'd be curious what the difference would be were I to sell what I have now: the 2 bodies, the 70-300, the 50-200, the 12-60 and 9-18, along with the flash and two teleconverters. They were closed, but I'd be real curious if it would be around $10K. That's my guesstimate. All of the equipment is in fine shape.

That leaves a big difference of $5K give or take, and admittedly I'm a bit torn. I can take advantage of good credit and very low interest; my friend, another priest, did this to build himself a cabin and owes a lot more than that. I've heard from people on this forum and other places how fast Canon is, but then again I ask myself is the difference that much more noticeable, shooting with a long Canon glass on a 7D as opposed to what I have now? Would the "hunting" be less on birds in flight and would it do a nice job of locking in on warblers and song birds, or a soaring eagle? Or is it slightly better but not worth the hassle? I'm just wondering to myself would I go out with the Canon, and be like "wow, that didn't take long" and get a nice, sharp image, or would I go out and have the same experiences of hunting, soft images, noise issues, and be like the guy at end of Bridge on the River Kwai, "what have I done? what have I done?"

Admittedly like I said I'm torn. The prices are high, but taking advantage of used gear that is available and in good shape has me pondering cashing in my chips with my Olympus gear and going to the Canon side. The bottom line is my favorite hobby is birding, and in photography at the end of the day, there is only one thing I care about: birds. The other stuff is all secondary. I've taken a lot of lovely images with what I have and can continue to do so, but for birders out there or for anyone who has used Canon gear, would love to hear your thoughts.

What to do, what to do. Thanks for any feedback. I almost did this last year too. With the used 800 out there at Adorama, I'm seriously thinking about doing this.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Might interest you to be aware that you can visit Nikon and Canon forums and find many people contemplating "Jumping ship" and some of those are contemplating Olympus EM5 and the EM1.

There is no platform, none that I know of anyway, that can give you the reach of the 4/3-m4/3 system. In fact if your using the system the way it should be used... with native lenses and dump your 4/3 lenses (I didn't note if you are using only m4/3 lenses), you will get the best return on investment with the lenses designed for the micro system.

You may go cross platform and find used lenses, but the money you spend for lenses like the Canon L lenses will still be a more signiicant price.

I visit a few other forums. Those on other platforms are also grousing about the same problems you mention.

I wonder if your expectations are just a bit to high regarding the images you expect to collect on birding and wildlife.

Now that I've insulted you... let me take another tack.

If I were going to jump from Olympus to another platform, it would be to NIKON and NOT!!! Canon.

Nikon has finally taken the leap to removing the AA filters, which Olympus pioneered a few years ago.

Canon is STILL SMUDGING sharpness with old low pass AA filter technology. That's an absolute deal breaker for me at this point, after discovering the increase in image sharpness found in the E-PL1.. the first weakened AA filter from Olympus. They moved on from their in dealing with the shortcoming in images of strong AA filtering.

That puts the eligible NIKON bodies at the D800E, The D7100, and the D5300 that just came out. The D5300 must have AF-S lenses (no inbody focus motor)....

That means, there are no eligible second or third generation used camera's without AA filtering. That's BIG in my estimation, and that's documented on the internet. However, nobody wants to admit how significant that one change is, as it truly negatively impacts used and refurb attractiveness in the market. So you're not hearing much about the new change, and Canon is entirely blowing off this one new feature. Not even a hint of when Canon with get their S_it together on the AA filter.

As confirmation, Canon's new cheap FF offering, the 6D, has big problems with "moire" in video, in spite of the fact that they are ignoring the low pass AA filter. For those wanting video... the Canon FF that is recommended is the 5DIII...much better video than the newer 6D.

So, for me, we're in a waiting game again, while other platforms get their act together, whereas, if the "reach" is a big factor when relative to price/budget, there's just nowhere to go outside Olympus.

Switching platforms is also a big deterrent to "mastering" a system.

Tha's my post and I'm stickin' to it!!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baldwinson View Post
    Paul, you say that birds are what interests you most, and this being the case, there is no question you will be happier if you jump ship. A few days ago I was wandering the dunes behind the beach and this hunter popped into sight, saw me and swung away. Caught out for settings or anything, I reflexively swung up, bang, bang, bang and a dozen images were in the bag. While the shots were not the best,(spot metering essential), dark against light needing lots to be lifted out, big crop, at least I got some shots to remember the special moment. If I had my Oly, it would still be hunting the sky for focus.
    I remember the first time at the racing bikes coming at me down the straight, and images at 10fps in focus, could not believe it. Of course it fails sometimes, needs about a second to latch on, and if you miss the results are as bad as an E-3.
    But for others to whom BIF is a part time fancy, Oly is great. I struggled some at the bikes yesterday, with about 25% keepers using the E-M1, but boy it was fun.
    Cheers,
    Don

Attachment 47391
    Lovely, Don - what camera did you shoot this with? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

All the best,
    Paul
    Father Paul

Olympus EM1