Thread: e-M1 Lockups - does it occur on your camera

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default e-M1 Lockups - does it occur on your camera

I have just experienced the first lock-up on my EM1, what occurs is that after the shutter button has been pressed the image is frozen on the screen and that powering the camera off does not recover the camera, one has to dis-connect the battery and re insert the battery - then the camera continues to work.

Quite a few users are getting these problems on the Olympus UK E-System web site.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: e-M1 Lockups - does it occur on your camera

Not for me yet, fingers crossed. But I got another problem no one can seem to resolve. Not online so far either....nor company technicians. Subject is the HDMI port..... The EM-1 has a port to a standard high def TV via the HDMI protocol to display photos. It calls for a HDMI A to HDMI D (micro) cable, first in my collection. I bought and finally tried 3 cables (don't ask why ) and none worked. Amazon Media Bridge is a high quality 10 footer I like...
    Tried my GH2 which uses mini HDMI to HDMI standard and still fine and dandy.

Olympus tech guy support bless 'em offered the immediate and automatic reply that "only an Olympus branded cable would do the job." ( I know I know I feel the same way about that advice since they are all sourced in same Chinese factory and cables are cables and follow the high speed standard du jour).....

After some friendly but all too brief discussion, tech said I will send you and Oly one "gratis" to try. I was not about to spend 35 bucks for a 4.9 foot cable to add to my er collection....You all understand...
    Came yesterday andno dice. So here is another possible failure for users to test,for the cautious but pure of heart. One I heartily suggest. Unless I have misread the cogs menu for the umpteen time. Yes, I set to NTSC and followed the manual to the letter...
    PS: Gilda Ratner the comedienne said it : "There is always something!"
    Sounds like both of our new cameras will have to go in for a checkup under warranty. I wish you luck over there in soggy UK. I am in Hawaii.,soggy day here. Nearest facility is 5 K miles away in Hauppage NY. Keep well. And stay dry and warm. Aloha, PS: I still like the camera a whole lot. Best one I have ever owned so far.
    Gerry Siegel

Thanks
    Feedback Score

thee have been a few reports different types of problems

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/dis...m-1-lemon.html

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

No lockups so far (4000+ exposures).

I've ordered an HDMI A to D cable, can't comment on that further until it arrives. These things are all standard so the notion of an Olympus Only branded cable is ridiculous to me. It's rare that I connect the camera to a television display, but $7 for a cable is reasonable for occasional use. For $30 ... naaah, I wouldn't bother. ;-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

I did, but only with my Hexanon 200mm F4 lens (that had been modified with an AF chip). It does it with my epm2 as well. I guess that lens will only be good on the regular 4/3 system, which does me no good since I don't own a 4/3 body anymore.
    Clint
    Rockin' it Mirrorless Style
    Olympus EM-1, E-PM2, LX-7, S110
    7.5, 12-32, 12-40, 14-42, 20, 25, 45, 75
    Asahi 35 2, SMC Super Tak 135 2.5, Super Tak 200 4
    HLD-7, FL-600r, FL-36r, FL-36, Cactus V5 Duo (x2)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Mike Crosa

I had a lockup today on the camera but I was not the one taking a picture with it. It took the picture but then locked up. Only way to unlock was to remove battery. If it keeps up I will call tech support.
    Mike C
    Enjoying the sun and ocean in Miami

Olympus OMD EM1, EPL1, 17mm, 45mm, 60mm macro, 75-300mm, Rokinon Fish Eye, lens cap lens, Fl-36 flash, Think Tank 30I bag

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I had a half dozen or so lockups, when I first got the camera. Changing lots' of settings like you normally would do with a new camera is what I thought triggered it. Once I settled on the configuration I liked it has not locked up since. That and I don't really shoot it much preferring film, but that's a story for another day. :-D

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Mine did once, but so does every computer. No big deal,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Mine did once, and it worked wonders! AF suddenly started working....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yes, I have experienced a lockup. I was taking numerous video clips of the South East snow storm, and during one clip recording the viewfinder looked up. It stayed on and would not respond to any buttons or levers being activated. Only removing the battery would solve the problem. The clip where the lockup occurred, was not recorded either. I had several unexplained lockups of all sorts, with all Olympus Cameras I own. I is annoying, but so far has has not caused a disaster, where a all important shot was lost.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

My EM5 just did exactly that while taking a photo. I had read your post so I popped the battery and was back in business. A little worrisome as that was the first time since I've had the camera.
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have been in contact with Oly (Germany) and mentioned the lockup I had with the e-m1. He said that if it happens again to take note of all the settings pertaining to shooting, and to save the last picture taken before the lockup, if the one can't be saved that caused the lockup. He said that information can be helpful to them should it really become an issue and the camera has to be sent in. He admitted that they have experienced lockups in both OM-D models, but didn't say anything about whether they caused any serious loss of data or damage to the camera.
    Wish I had a dime for every time my PC has locked up! It would have covered my E-M1 for sure!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    No lockups so far (4000+ exposures).

I've ordered an HDMI A to D cable, can't comment on that further until it arrives. These things are all standard so the notion of an Olympus Only branded cable is ridiculous to me. It's rare that I connect the camera to a television display, but $7 for a cable is reasonable for occasional use. For $30 ... naaah, I wouldn't bother. ;-)
    The generic Mediabridge HDMI A to D cable ($7 from Amazon.com) arrived yesterday. I plugged it into the television and into the E-M1. Switched on the television and set it to the HDMI input. Switched on the camera and pressed the playback button. Images appeared on the television display. Pressing the menu button, then the slide show option played all the images. It does not display in any other mode, as the manual says.

I didn't make any settings changes in the E-M1 menus, it is on whatever the camera's defaults are.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Wish I had a dime for every time my PC has locked up! It would have covered my E-M1 for sure!
    Precisely!
    These are computers that take photos, nothing more or less. The chance of this happening is always there. People are forgetting that it happened with every E model that has been released, especially in the initial stages of ownership, experimenting with the camera, and making many settings changes.Locks ups are built in safeties. Unless it doesn't revive from a lock up I would not be concerned. It may just be bugs in the firmware that have to be worked out.
    David

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I never had a single lockup with any of my previous E bodies (510, 620, 30).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    I never had a single lockup with any of my previous E bodies (510, 620, 30).
    I must be especially lucky. I've never had a lock up with any​ digital camera, of any make. I've had plenty of jams and such with many film cameras over the years however.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I once returned from a trip to Greece just at the time I was building up my business. I took my M3 for black and white and a Nikon F for color. Got home only to discover that a defective spring in the dial you had to turn to rewind the film on the Nikon meant that ALL of my slide rolls were black. The film didn't advance even though the counter did. Funny thing is I didn't even feel that something was wrong. Must have been too excited taking pictures.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

in the experiments with hacked GH2 cameras this happened a lot
    more often than not the limitation was the card

not all cards are all they are mean to be
    they dont properly exhibit their specification, and then there are counterfeits

as with all things digital, I would suspect the card and the battery first
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score

My thoughts also on batteries, so I started a battery poll here ...
    E-M1 Lock up Poll - Olympus UK E-System User Group

not enough sampling to be useful ...yet?

as always, too many variables

David

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Mine locked up a number of times, with and without the grip, and with Olympus batteries, after firmware update it seems to happen much less, but still now and then,, always with a 4/3rds lens mounted, I have also had the 4/3rd lens go nuts just clicking and not focusing and had to power off and on to clear it, but not remove battery like the freeze, I have a feeling its something to do with the lens contacts in the lens case, the freeze up maybe a special combo of settings, I know mine was doing it like crazy at the beginning, one day about 4 times in a couple hours so I did a full reset and after that it happens just once in a while, but it has cost me a couple shots
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Checking in again.
    No lockups in 4,800 exposures.

G