Thread: AF comparison 5D II, E-30 and E-M1

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default AF comparison 5D II, E-30 and E-M1

A test of the Canon 5D II + 400/5.6, the E-30 + 50-200 ED (at 200mm) and the E-M1 with the same lens. All set to S-AF, single point center, autofocusing between points A and B.

As you can see, the light was good.
    Audio file here:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0vs%20E-M1.mp3
    IS turned off on the E-M1. With it on it was even worse. 9 point AF on the E-M1 is no better. Holding the E-M1 at an angle did not help, a stupid thing to have to do even if it does help.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Clint

Default Re: AF comparison 5D II, E-30 and E-M1

I don't remember but do you have a 75-300 lens? Would be interesting to hear the difference with a native m4/3 lens.
    Clint
    Rockin' it Mirrorless Style
    Olympus EM-1, E-PM2, LX-7, S110
    7.5, 12-32, 12-40, 14-42, 20, 25, 45, 75
    Asahi 35 2, SMC Super Tak 135 2.5, Super Tak 200 4
    HLD-7, FL-600r, FL-36r, FL-36, Cactus V5 Duo (x2)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

No, I don't. Wish I did. It would be interesting.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Interesting Daniel, but disappointing that the 4/3 lens performed poorly in such good light.
    The little 75-300 m43 is as fast as the best in light like that, and not much slower, if at all in lesser light, and accurate. It never does more than a quick final adjustment at full length in poorish light for me so far.
    Lets face it, it was designed for the camera. 4/3 lenses on the E-M1 are pretty much a stop-gap until particularly longer and better dedicated lenses come along.
    Interesting also, in that the Canon 5DII is not known as a fast focus-er compared with the 5DIII, which makes the comparison even more graphic.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Most disappointing to me is how the clunky old E-30 blows it away. The same thing happens with the 14-54 II. The E-30 nails it in a fraction of a second. The E-M1 gets it sometimes, but often prefers to focus on the dirt on my window!

I am beginning to agree with your conclusion. I somehow wish Oly had had the guts to just come out and say, "f*** you" to all the FT lens owners in stead leading us to believe the E-M1 would cut it. I am sure glad my investment in FT glass is relatively modest.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Wow that sucked!! Since my own focusing experience and my commitment now to micro 43 I am thinking that I will sell all of my 43's stuff, which is only the 9-18, 50-200, E620 and the two kit lenses. As much as I love the 50-200 I just can't see using it much any more and I could use the money towards some more u43 glass. I was also hoping that the EM-1 would have been a worthwhile upgrade for my 50-200 but for the cost of the body I could sell everything (plus maybe $500.00) and buy the new 50-150 2.8...
    Chris
    In (usually) Sunny St. Lucia.

Oly E-620 & OMD EM-5, u4/3's LENSES: 12-50, 60 Macro & Lumix 20 1.7. 4/3's LENSES: 9-18, 14-40, 50-200 SWD and FL-50R

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yes, it is a real disappointment. If it were at least able to match the E-30, I wouldn't complain, but....
    I have sent the audio file to Olympus Europe to get their take on it, but have heard nothing yet. As to my IS vibration problem, basically they say the same thing that Oly Japan said; if it works on Olympus lenses it ain't broke. Very helpful... but to be honest, I didn't expect more.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

So are we saying that all that effort with the hybrid sensor in the E-M1 was pretty much a waste of time? Does it make focusing with dedicated m43 lenses faster, or is it purely a help for old 4:3 lenses (which doesn't work all that well)? I guess this boils down to - does the E-M1 focus faster than say the E-M5, both using a m43 lens?
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That may be, but from what I have heard, that is nothing to write home about.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I never intended to even purchase the E-M1 and I did not buy into any of the m4/3 line until the E-M1. I did not jump and dump my 4/3 gearas many did. I have a huge "investment" if you wish to call it that. , and I will continue to happily use my E-3, E-5 and now the EM-1. Each camera has it's own posative and negative usages. I haven't even had a chance to really give the 4/3 glass a workout on the E-M1 but if it does't do what I need it to do I will continue to use it with the older bodies which have given me excellant results, and not take a serious $ loss to sell them.The SHGs and HGs and 4/3rd gear will give me many more years of high quality results.
    David

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    So are we saying that all that effort with the hybrid sensor in the E-M1 was pretty much a waste of time? Does it make focusing with dedicated m43 lenses faster, or is it purely a help for old 4:3 lenses (which doesn't work all that well)? I guess this boils down to - does the E-M1 focus faster than say the E-M5, both using a m43 lens?
    In S-AF, the E-M1 doesn't use the PDAF sensors with m4/3 lenses. In C-AF it does (for both 4/3 and m4/3 lenses), and the results are dramatically better than the E-M5, though to be fair, the E-M5 is pretty pitiful in that regard.

Even with regard to 4/3 lenses - it's only a waste of time if compared to native 4/3 bodies. Compared to the E-M5 and other m4/3 bodies, it's a huge step up.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Sorry to report another unsatisfactory performance from last night. I thought the baby in the plastic washing basket looked cute, and maybe suited the 8mm fish-eye on the E-M1.
    Now this did not look too demanding. One would think that center spot at this distance would be a doddle. But no, it hunted and hunted and hunted........almost to extinction, like the 50mm F2 used to behave on the E-1. I nearly gave up and reverted to MF. In the end I was happy, but my goodness! Not that I will ever sell this lens.
    Don

Attachment 47452

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Don, I'm wondering if perhaps you were very close to the minimum focus distance, so that it kept hunting till you somehow moved up a little and were positioned within the range. I know that on my Samyang 8mm fisheye (Canon Mount) - Bower brand-name - the minimum focus distance isn't all that close. Just a thought.
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RAH View Post
    Don, I'm wondering if perhaps you were very close to the minimum focus distance, so that it kept hunting till you somehow moved up a little and were positioned within the range. I know that on my Samyang 8mm fisheye (Canon Mount) - Bower brand-name - the minimum focus distance isn't all that close. Just a thought.
    Don't think so Rich. The 8mm focuses to 140mm. I would have been at least 700mm above. Light was not the brightest, and it works reasonably well in daylight. Just frustrating in this case.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Could have also been the notorious problem of repetitive patterns that we have been warned about before. Those openings all around the basket could have confused the heck out of the AF sensors, they look busy enough to my eyes, like a TV test pattern

If it wasn't that, then it could be just the opposite... not enough vertical lines with contrast in the center of the image for the horizontal PDAF sites to pick up on, since the 8mm spreads the view too much, and makes the point of focus on the image too small in relation to the sensors.
    Did you try to focus and recompose on one of the openings behind the baby in the basket that has very strong contrast?

cheers,
    David

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dh202 View Post
    Could have also been the notorious problem of repetitive patterns that we have been warned about before. Those openings all around the basket could have confused the heck out of the AF sensors, they look busy enough to my eyes, like a TV test pattern

If it wasn't that, then it could be just the opposite... not enough vertical lines with contrast in the center of the image for the horizontal PDAF sites to pick up on, since the 8mm spreads the view too much, and makes the point of focus on the image too small in relation to the sensors.
    Did you try to focus and recompose on one of the openings behind the baby in the basket that has very strong contrast?

cheers,
    David
    I tried everything David.
    The patterns thing you mention is interesting. A few weeks ago I had to take images of a whole row of houses, with mainly horizontal boarded walls, using the 12-60mm 4/3 lens. It had terrible problems obtaining focus, until I held the camera in portrait mode, focused, turned back to landscape half-holding the button when it worked well. A couple of weeks later I had to go through the whole business again for the same houses, but the sun was in a different position, and horizontal worked fine.
    But I really wish the camera would not require that, my others don't! I think I have the right to expect it to work whichever way I hold it, or my mouth for that matter.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I say the recording is a fake.

Are you telling me that when the EM-1 was trying to focus you didn't let out even one expletive? Fake I say.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Not fake, edited (censored)!

Actually I had to hold my breath because the mike was right next to my face to pick up the beeps.

An acreage just south of 52.5 degree north Saskatoon, saskatchewan, Canada.
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    A test of the Canon 5D II + 400/5.6, the E-30 + 50-200 ED (at 200mm) and the E-M1 with the same lens. All set to S-AF, single point center, autofocusing between points A and B.

As you can see, the light was good.
    Audio file here:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0vs%20E-M1.mp3
    IS turned off on the E-M1. With it on it was even worse. 9 point AF on the E-M1 is no better. Holding the E-M1 at an angle did not help, a stupid thing to have to do even if it does help.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************************

Which model of the 50-200 were you using? My50-200 SWD is not nearly that bad, though performance in anything but good light is still disappointing. But when tried the 14-35 SWD, I found that AF with it was much better. Not uquite up to the native mFT's 12-40, but surprisingly good even in quite low light. That lens actually seems to focus better in low light on the EM-1 than it does on the E-5.

In general, the EM-1 seems to do fairly well with my FT's lenses in decent light, but there is a lot of variation in performance with the different lenses, and also a serious tendency to get confused and get false positives with some subjects, and to quite often do so even after hunting in low light.

erichK

Thanks
    Feedback Score

50-200 ed.