Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life after... but still embracing 4/3rds

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Life after... but still embracing 4/3rds

Last September I was adamant that I would not purchase the E-M1, in November I softened, decided to take advantage of the rebates and deals, and I went ahead and purchased the E-M1 and 12-40 pro.

This camera lens combo is a gem! It is what I had hoped the E-3 would have been, its size and weight are perfect for me.
    The EM-1 has become my take with me all the time companion,replacing the E-5 and 14-35. I shoot the E-3, using it to reproduce artwork at my gallery, and when I really get serious about shooting a subject, I break out the E-5 and SHGs.

I'm a happy camper I will not part with any of my 4/3 gear

David
    Last edited by dh202; 04-02-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Life after 4/3rds

4/3 is not broken - it still works great and it will work for years to come.

Im going to north Alberta wilderness in next couple of weeks and all Im bringing is 4/3 gear (E-5, 12-60, 50mm, 50-200).
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I sometimes get those looks from guys in the bird hides who show up with their monster Canon and Nikon telephoto rigs, (not that I would turn one down, to be perfectly honest) and they see me with my MF telescope with a "cheap" Nikon D7000, (or now an E-M1....going to get even more looks) stuck on the end. What they don't realize is, that the IQ of my combo blows theirs away, if you leave AF considerations aside. I had the chance to do some A:B testing last week, my scope and E-M1 against a Canon 500/4. Anyone interested in seeing the pictures can download them here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rdd7crewx78kmmr/bMGftEK8TA
    I sent them to the guy with the big white monster.... he hasn't written back.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It is a few years since i sold my 4/3 gear (E-5, 14-35mm, 35-100mm, 300mm 50mm, 14-54mm and 150mm)... -I bought an OM-D, a 12mm, 25mm, 75mm and 60mm macro.
    -And then sold 12mm, 75mm and 25mm and bought a D800 with a 35mm.
    I really still love the OM-D. -it has everything i miss in the D800. And the D800 has everything i miss in the OM-D.
    Itīs really a good combo (:

In december i broke my OM-D and it was out of warrenty. -Olympus made a full repair, including a new EVF, new bottons - allmost everything was replaced in the camera.
    And they charged nothing ! Nothing. I was stunned. Nikon or any other manufacter would never give that kind of service.
    And that is the biggest reason for why i still keep Olympus (:
    E-5, Zuiko 35mm, 50mm, 11-22mm, 14-35mm, 35-100mm, 50-200mm SWD, 300mm f/2.8, EC-20, EX-25 and a few FL-50R

Runes Flickr

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Its early days yet with me and my E-M1, but so far I'm pretty darned happy with it. I also still have my E-10, E-1, E-330, E-500, E-30 and E-5, plus a decent stable of 4/3 glass. Never say never, but I doubt I'll ever see the need to switch to a different system. With luck and determination, I should be good for another 20 or 30 years, surely I can make this stuff last me out!
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    I sometimes get those looks from guys in the bird hides who show up with their monster Canon and Nikon telephoto rigs, (not that I would turn one down, to be perfectly honest) and they see me with my MF telescope with a "cheap" Nikon D7000, (or now an E-M1....going to get even more looks) stuck on the end. What they don't realize is, that the IQ of my combo blows theirs away, if you leave AF considerations aside. I had the chance to do some A:B testing last week, my scope and E-M1 against a Canon 500/4. Anyone interested in seeing the pictures can download them here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rdd7crewx78kmmr/bMGftEK8TA
    I sent them to the guy with the big white monster.... he hasn't written back.
    I have a big white monster. It's not just about IQ, it's about getting the shot, every time, no exception. You can't do that with a scope, unfortunately.

Great comparison though, thanks for sharing.

This was handheld, 560/5.6 (400DO). I was walking around with it all day long, and it only weighs like 5 lbs. my back doesn't hurt
    Last edited by laingjd; 03-25-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Non 4:3 or m4:3 image.
    Charles

Canon cool aid, but soft spot for Oly :-D

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Lowa 2

What a cracking photo!

Your comment is spot-on too. It's the AF that makes all the difference with the non-Oly stuff.
    It'll never trouble 'still life' shooters, but having AF that works for moving targets is quite an advantage.

Consistency is something that the Oly AF never quite seemed to nail.

otoh, the lovely colours from the E-1 sensor still look great.

cant have it all I suppose, but an OOF pic is scrap every time.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Charles,
    You are absolutely right, which is why I have been looking for BWM for the last 4 months.
    I just got back from three days in the field with the scope and the E-M1. Very mixed feelings and mixed results, from very good (still subjects, much higher keeper rate with the E-M1) to useless (anything involving movement, EVF flicker at 600-960mm makes it useless).
    If one accepts the limitations, you get a lot of bang (focal length and IQ) for the buck (€) with a scope, no question. But as Simon says, "an OOF picture is scrap"... but without the "s".
    To be honest, I would give it up in a minute for an 5D III+500/4 Mk I and a pair of Mk III TCs ! It is not a relaxing experience when you have to fight your gear. Trying to get birds to cooperate is hard enough.

Edit:
    One thing that really impressed me when I was doing those tests is that no mater how carefully I worked, I was not able to get the 500 perfectly in focus using live view + magnification. But the AF was SPOT ON! The sharpest shots from the Canon were those where I aimed and shot, no mirror up or remote or locked down tripod or anything, just relying on the AF system to get the job done.
    Last edited by Daniel Bradley; 03-24-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Your image was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa2 View Post
    I have a big white monster. It's not just about IQ, it's about getting the shot, every time, no exception. You can't do that with a scope, unfortunately.

Great comparison though, thanks for sharing.

This was handheld, 560/5.6 (400DO). I was walking around with it all day long, and it only weighs like 5 lbs. my back doesn't hurt

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    Your image was deleted.
    Aparantly, someone didn't want a Canon image on here and complained to a moderator. Funny that I had a bunch of likes on my post

I was advised that it was being removed.
    Charles

Canon cool aid, but soft spot for Oly :-D

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Pretty sad actually. I have posted photos taken with my Olympus gear on the Nikon forum I frequent and nobody cares as long as you state it is from a non-Nikon camera. Guess that is what happens when it becomes too much about the gear.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

That sucks! How can you have a discussion and compare if only one side is allowed to present evidence?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I posted a new thread a while back on the photos side with a non 4/3 image, just for fun and a good bit tongue in cheek, and the whole thread was deleted. I'll try again on the first of April. Maybe then the mods will be in a better humor.
    In general, MikeL hit the nail on the head. If all that is wanted here are 4/3 fan-boys and yes-men, .....

P.S. I was not advised that it was being removed.
    Last edited by Daniel Bradley; 03-28-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yes, I am batting about 50% lately with the deleted versus non-deleted post count. I guess the mods like the current posting rate of one new thread every couple of days.

Hey mods. Please note that my "negative" thread that a couple of posters complained about has now garnered nearly 160 responses and 6000 views

Leigh
    zippski

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I think you mean mod not mods. It looks like only one moderator has any activity over the last 3 months.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Pretty stupid. Good luck everyone.

Ned

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

test
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    test
    Your other post was deleted apparently.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saburns View Post
    Your other post was deleted apparently.
    Apparently. Unacceptable. Adios
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

People are leaving forum?
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Looks that way.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Not everyone.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

That sucks! How can you have a discussion and compare if only one side is allowed to present evidence?
    You only presented evidence from one side. Besides, this isn't a debate about the relative merits of different camera systems, and this isn't a forum about comparing cameras. It's to support and nurture users of the Four/Thirds and Micro Four/Thirds systems. There are plenty of sites that are multi-format, go and debate there. It isn't very welcoming to new members if all they see are discussions about other systems.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Apparently. Unacceptable. Adios

Bye.
    Thomas
    --

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by srtgray View Post
    You only presented evidence from one side. Besides, this isn't a debate about the relative merits of different camera systems, and this isn't a forum about comparing cameras. It's to support and nurture users of the Four/Thirds and Micro Four/Thirds systems. There are plenty of sites that are multi-format, go and debate there. It isn't very welcoming to new members if all they see are discussions about other systems.
    This. Thank you, Thomas.

I know my 'street cred' is probably shot because I've been gone for so long, but over time, I've spent a lot of time here, and learned so much from many helpful folks. I'm sorry, but I can't see any value in continuing to beat a dead horse; specifically bemoaning Olympus' decision to end the 4/3 line in favor of m4/3. It is done. If for some reason Olympus decides to revive the line, it will not be because the company executives read a post here, telling them that's what they should do.

If one's only mission is to express dissatisfaction over the system that is the reason for this site's existence, why continue to visit? Does it provide enjoyment to continue in that vein? It certainly wouldn't do anything for me, other than to further stoke my frustration and anger over Olympus (and Panasonic btw, after all, they chose to take the m4/3 direction as well). Certainly not how I would choose to spend my time. Why not choose a different system and move on?

There is 'life after 4/3rds', even though the 4/3 cameras and lenses will live on for a good while yet. Use them, embrace m4/3, or go to something else. Really, one way or the other, we'll all be fine.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson