Thread: Smugmug to New Smumug Fb share issues

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Smugmug to New Smumug Fb share issues

Hi all,

I know its been a long time since I posted here but since I got into SmugMug via this forum I though it worth a try.

A day or so ago I started "migrating" my Smugmug site to the new version, liked what I'd started to create and thought that I'd share it on Facebook with some of my fiends - I may have have clicked "publish" too early because some profile text from the old site was still having an influence, meaning that on Facebook the share was clogged up with heaps of writing.
    What I was hoping to achieve was an image of my new Smugmug homepage or if that was not possible a picture and minimal text - I have since modified my profile and preferred picture, clicked save but nothing changed for Facebook share.
    Here is my SmugMug site - Clive Murray-White Sculpture it is a work in progress but I want to get the Facebook stuff sorted out first - any ideas - thanks, Clive

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Smugmug to New Smumug Fb share issues

The Facebook link on your Smugmug takes me to Cowwarr Art is that correct or are you trying to send visitors to another FB page?
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.
    www.jnicklin.ca | flicker | SmugMug | Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi John,

No - what I'm trying to do is post my Smugmug to facebook - which is easy but...............when I do, I get a whole lot of stuff about being a leading Australian artist that I had on the old - legacy - Smugmug, tastefully included on the home page , evidently this was in my old profile - I've since reduced the text in the profile and made it far less prominent - Smumug "help" said that this should be all that I needed to fix it but the old text/profile keeps coming up - I did make a kind of clunky way of doing it, I made a jpeg of the home page and posted the link in the text above - but I still feel I could do a smarter link.

How are you, anyway? Clive

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hey, Clive,
    where ya been, mate?

After what Flickr has just done to their site, I am looking for an alternative. It used to be so simple and clear.... oh well. Seems everything is getting over developed and dominated by facebook and twitter and all that crap. Just want a nice, clean photo sharing site that is nice to look at and easy to manage. I guess the software developers have to develop something, whether people want it or not. You should see the overwhelmingly negative feedback they are getting at Yahoo over the Flickr changes. You used to be able to opt out of the new setup. Not any more.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

G'day Mr Dan, mate

As usual I've been working my .... off - I too get really get pissed off by having to go along with compulsory "improvements" in fact it drives me mad that my car treats me like an idiot and tries tell me what to do all the time via dreadful beeps - I just use flickr as my private site for getting a URL for posting around the place - being controlled freaks me out having come from the generation that felt they won so many freedoms. Ever the optimist I stupidly believe that we'll get it back one day

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Your car sounds like my wife!

(Not really, but it makes for a good joke.)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Elaine? I always remember her comments when acting for you on Where is this part 2 - good joke but hardly true

Thanks
    Feedback Score

No, not true at all. Mea culpa!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Doing well Clive, hope things are fine downunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfa View Post
    Hi John,

No - what I'm trying to do is post my Smugmug to facebook - which is easy but...............when I do, I get a whole lot of stuff about being a leading Australian artist that I had on the old - legacy - Smugmug, tastefully included on the home page , evidently this was in my old profile - I've since reduced the text in the profile and made it far less prominent - Smumug "help" said that this should be all that I needed to fix it but the old text/profile keeps coming up - I did make a kind of clunky way of doing it, I made a jpeg of the home page and posted the link in the text above - but I still feel I could do a smarter link.

How are you, anyway? Clive
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________ ​
    ​John Nicklin

e3, ZD 11-22, ZD 12-60, Sigma 70-200, EC14, FL50R, 5DMkIII, 24-105 L, 70-200 f4 L, RB67, OM1, B&J 8x10, 5DIII, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f4 L, 100D.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Hey, Clive,
    where ya been, mate?

After what Flickr has just done to their site, I am looking for an alternative. It used to be so simple and clear.... oh well. Seems everything is getting over developed and dominated by facebook and twitter and all that crap. Just want a nice, clean photo sharing site that is nice to look at and easy to manage. I guess the software developers have to develop something, whether people want it or not. You should see the overwhelmingly negative feedback they are getting at Yahoo over the Flickr changes. You used to be able to opt out of the new setup. Not any more.
    You can make a clean and simple site at Smugmug but it takes more work now than it used to. Progress isn't always a good thing.
    ​John Nicklin

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have been looking at 500px. Not so easy either. Probably just stay with Flickr and Picasa. But Flickr used to be so much easier to work with. Oh well....old dogs...new tricks...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    I have been looking at 500px. Not so easy either. Probably just stay with Flickr and Picasa. But Flickr used to be so much easier to work with. Oh well....old dogs...new tricks...
    I use Smugmug and Flickr, I find SM to be more flexible, but only with effort. Flickr seems to be pre-configured for the masses. Clive's issue seems to be a conundrum, there shouldn't be a problem but there seems to be one.
    ​John Nicklin

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jnicklin View Post
    I use Smugmug and Flickr, I find SM to be more flexible, but only with effort. Flickr seems to be pre-configured for the masses. Clive's issue seems to be a conundrum, there shouldn't be a problem but there seems to be one.
    I think I'd better wait 'til Easter when the kids and their partners come home - one's a pro in doing computer stuff, he'll probably laugh at me because its so simple to fix! and say something completely confusing like "look I just popped this string of HTML in there, and scrubbed that one - all fixed"

I think once you've got things like SmugMug looking how you want it, it's pretty much set and forget, the process of starting up basically trains you how to move pictures around etc according to the new system - I also think part of the problem of New Smugmug is they thought they were being very helpful in the way they'd designed the migration from old to new - which all looked fine when you first click publish and suddenly you realise you've been taken into something that is nothing like the old site in terms of interface. Nice talking again - all the best Clive, maybe I'll have to dream up more reasons to visit

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

You ever consider Pbase, Daniel? I've used them for several years now, no complaints.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks, Nate.
    Never heard of it. I'll have a look.
    There are so many now.

Edit: That looks like what I am looking for, clean and simple. Do you resize images before uploading. The $23/year basic account is for roughly 1G, so one would have to be careful about image size. What do you do?
    Last edited by Daniel Bradley; 03-28-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Everything that I intend to upload (whether to Pbase, cough...dpr....cough, here, wherever) I export from LR as jpg with a long side of 1024 pixels. Then I usually diddle in PS to finish, and frame them, which brings the long side to 1060, most of the time. I tend to feel that's big enough to be 'representative' of what the photo looks like, without taking up too much space, and in the unlikely event that someone actually thought one of my photos was worth stealing is small enough not to be much use for printing. I pay the $23.00 basic and think I'm using around 724 mb. If you go to pbase.com/ravenwing, you can see I've got quite a few photos on there. Probably before too long I'll go through and dump some of the older 'chaff'. I also periodically kid myself that I'm going to go in there and organize stuff into folders or something. Yeah, right.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson