Thread: Edmunds - Help Advice Please

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Edmunds - Help Advice Please

Edmunds,

I have been been a member here for a l-o-n-g time.
    And for the longest time I helped Tony financially, paying for SuperSuporter membership (or... whatever it was called).

But at some point I got occupied with other things, let my Support lapse, and even my participation in the forum.
    Haven't been around for years (or seems like anyway).

Recently some photography interests steered me back.

And I have just now tried to PM somebody.

AND I CAN'T.
    Got the message that my Mailbox (PMbox?) was full and that I needed to delete PMs to free up room.

I deleted 30? 40? 50?, don't know, wasn't counting.
    And I still can't send a PM, get the same message.

My guess is... that I had some enormous limit (maybe UNlimited) back from my SuperSupporter days.

And now that I am just an "ordinary" member, my number of PMs what was OK no longer is.

THANKFULLY the system didn't just delete all my PMs when my SuperSupporter membership lapsed.
    They are still there.
    But I can't PM any more.

What can we do?

Anyway that you can "grandfather" me back in?
    To where I can keep my PMs (there's a LOT of PMs there that I would hate to lose)?

Or... would I have to pay? to get my quota moved back up?

Any help appreciated.

I really don't want to lose all my "historical" PMs.

But I would like to get active again.

Thanks,

James

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

Default Re: Edmunds - Help Advice Please

Hay James,

What I have done in the past is download all my PM's and then delete them to start over fresh

Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi James,

I understand you wish to have your account "grandfathered in".

But I urge you to look at it from my perspective. If nobody supports this website, its really difficult for me to justify spending time and money further developing it. I really want to put some time into building the lens database and things like that, but programming is my job I go to every day, and spending my free time doing more programming and doing it when nobody supports the site, well, it just then seems like a waste of time. Not to mention the $5500 I paid to take the site over.

The major subscriber-only features are now free - Buy & Sell is free, there are no advertisements, Tapatalk access is free. I don't really have many carrots left to offer, and so far only 1 person has re-subscribed to support me.

I do believe that the 100 private message limit for a free account is quite sufficient. If you wish to not support the site any further, you can, in your inbox, go to the bottom of the page and there is a link "Download all Private Messages as:" and click on "Text". You can then mass select them in the top right corner, scroll down, click on the "Selected Messages" button and choose Delete as the option. Chances are your sent folder has a lot of messages as well. At the bottom of your inbox there is a status bar which shows how many messages you have and what your quota is.

Thanks,
    Edmunds
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Edmunds,

Hey thanks for running through all that for me.

No, listen, I got no problem at all supporting a guy trying to do something good.
    (surprised more people haven't!)
    I was just typing fast last night.

Can you tell me one thing.
    I got no real sense of bits and bytes and all.
    Can you tell me, like for the Supporter membership, 100 mb of storage space...
    can you translate that, roughly, into # of storable pms?

Thanks,

James

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    James,

My understanding is that the forum allows you to store 100 messages, not 100 Megabytes of storage space. When you go over 100 messages stored (both sent and received), the system prevents you from further use of the PM system until you open up some space by deleting items.

I had 358 stored Inbox and Sent message items. I downloaded them to un-compressed TEXT files which total 355 Kilobytes of data.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds View Post
    But I urge you to look at it from my perspective. If nobody supports this website, its really difficult for me to justify spending time and money further developing it. I really want to put some time into building the lens database and things like that, but programming is my job I go to every day, and spending my free time doing more programming and doing it when nobody supports the site, well, it just then seems like a waste of time. Not to mention the $5500 I paid to take the site over.

The major subscriber-only features are now free - Buy & Sell is free, there are no advertisements, Tapatalk access is free. I don't really have many carrots left to offer, and so far only 1 person has re-subscribed to support me.

I do believe that the 100 private message limit for a free account is quite sufficient. If you wish to not support the site any further, you can, in your inbox, go to the bottom of the page and there is a link "Download all Private Messages as:" and click on "Text". You can then mass select them in the top right corner, scroll down, click on the "Selected Messages" button and choose Delete as the option. Chances are your sent folder has a lot of messages as well. At the bottom of your inbox there is a status bar which shows how many messages you have and what your quota is.
    Hmm. I seem to have done the download incorrectly, but it's no matter. I rarely look at old PMs after the discussion is over.

Regards supporting the site, well, I've been a 'registered' user for years: I'd never seen much to incite me to pay money for camera chit chat. My goal has always to enjoy conversation and share photos with photographers, and be helpful when I have particular insight into things.

I stopped participating here when the previous management (never mind a few of the other subscribers) made me feel more than just unwelcome.

I am happy to remain a registered user and even participate more, but before I start paying for something I want to know what that something is. If it's simply a matter of supporting the site's cost of operations, well, for that I don't see much point to subscription if an annual or semi-annual call for donations can supply the cash you need. That's what I do on the three other independent mailing lists I administer/own; there's always been more than enough to pay the bills. If your intent is to run a commercially viable site, then there must be an income stream. That's usually supplied by site-wide advertising or sales of specific things.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    Edmunds,

Hey thanks for running through all that for me.

No, listen, I got no problem at all supporting a guy trying to do something good.
    (surprised more people haven't!)
    I was just typing fast last night.

Thanks,

James

The number of PMs for financial supporters is 500. For Super Supporters, it is 1000.

I think I should add this info to the Membership info box.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Hmm. I seem to have done the download incorrectly, but it's no matter. I rarely look at old PMs after the discussion is over.

Regards supporting the site, well, I've been a 'registered' user for years: I'd never seen much to incite me to pay money for camera chit chat. My goal has always to enjoy conversation and share photos with photographers, and be helpful when I have particular insight into things.

I stopped participating here when the previous management (never mind a few of the other subscribers) made me feel more than just unwelcome.

I am happy to remain a registered user and even participate more, but before I start paying for something I want to know what that something is. If it's simply a matter of supporting the site's cost of operations, well, for that I don't see much point to subscription if an annual or semi-annual call for donations can supply the cash you need. That's what I do on the three other independent mailing lists I administer/own; there's always been more than enough to pay the bills. If your intent is to run a commercially viable site, then there must be an income stream. That's usually supplied by site-wide advertising or sales of specific things.

G
    Godfrey,
    thank you for your suggestion about the donation call. For now, however, I am going to keep things the way previous owners have left off. I think its just easier, and fairer to those who already have a subscription.
    Olympus OM-D EM-5
    12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.4 - 60mm f/2.8 macro - 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7
    - FL36R