Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone send their EM1 in for evf replacement lately?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Anyone send their EM1 in for evf replacement lately?

Mine has about had it, more than 50 perecnt of screen is shot, just wondered about turn around time... with all the EVF having issues maybe it will be a long time.. never had one problem with my OVF cameras, at least as far as view finder, this is number two on EVF I'm batting 1000 on mirrorless
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    George

Default Re: Anyone send their EM1 in for evf replacement lately?

Mine went back yesterday to Olympus for the EVF and random lockups. It's less than a month old and had only 1500 shots on it. Unlike the burn problems some are getting mine would literally go black with all the digital display nearly impossible to see. They're just going to give me a new body and hopefully I'll have less problems with this one...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoose View Post
    Mine went back yesterday to Olympus for the EVF and random lockups. It's less than a month old and had only 1500 shots on it. Unlike the burn problems some are getting mine would literally go black with all the digital display nearly impossible to see. They're just going to give me a new body and hopefully I'll have less problems with this one...
    hopefully they send you a brand new one and not a refurbed one since yours is so new, not sure they replace everything in a refurb or just fix any problem it could have, and you still might get one with 20000 or more clicks on the shutter, but they prob reset clicks so you cant tell

I didn't talk to them just filled in the web return forms and got a return form, will be sending mine today.. luckily I dont really use the em1 that much now that I bought a canon, and have my E5 for 4/3rds, so I guess I can go without it a while
    OMD EM-1, m12-50MM, OLY 12-60MM, OLY 50MM macro, EC-14, Nikon D7200 and D7100, Nikon 300MM F4 PF Nikon 1.4X II Nikon 80-400MM AF-S- G, Sigma 150-600MM C, Sigma 17-50MM

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

There is this thread over at dpreview.com that strong sunshine falling in the EVF of the E-M1 can cause green blotches: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53792415. Here is the quote from the original article:

As you have all probably already read in another thread in this forum, I have very recently received a confirmation from the techical support of Olympus in Europe that strong sunshine into the EVF of the E-M1 can cause indeletable blotches in the EVF display, in which case will then need the camera to be turned in to Olympus for repair. Their recommendation is to avoid direct sunshine into the EVF by "somehow" covering it. Since this issue seems to have affected several users, I thought it appropriate to issue a warning via this thread. I personally believe this to be a serious technical flaw that needs to be addressed by Olympus ASAP.

I know that you have had green blotches on both the E-M1 and E-M5.

Note, this is sunshine entering the EVF from where you put your eye, and NOT via the sensor used for taking photos (about 1/2 the people in that thread can't read and think it occurs when you are taking pictures with the sun backlighting your subjects).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    There is this thread over at dpreview.com that strong sunshine falling in the EVF of the E-M1 can cause green blotches: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53792415. Here is the quote from the original article:

As you have all probably already read in another thread in this forum, I have very recently received a confirmation from the techical support of Olympus in Europe that strong sunshine into the EVF of the E-M1 can cause indeletable blotches in the EVF display, in which case will then need the camera to be turned in to Olympus for repair. Their recommendation is to avoid direct sunshine into the EVF by "somehow" covering it. Since this issue seems to have affected several users, I thought it appropriate to issue a warning via this thread. I personally believe this to be a serious technical flaw that needs to be addressed by Olympus ASAP.

I know that you have had green blotches on both the E-M1 and E-M5.

Note, this is sunshine entering the EVF from where you put your eye, and NOT via the sensor used for taking photos (about 1/2 the people in that thread can't read and think it occurs when you are taking pictures with the sun backlighting your subjects).
    Yeah I read that on a few places, but I always have sun to my back or at least most times when shooting birds, so anytime I take my eye from VF I guess sunlight can get in there, even just carrying it with lens down, if this is the case then its never going to stop, and is a major malfunction.. does the EVF have to be active for it to happen? if so they should make it turn off the split second you take eye away

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JimUSNY View Post
    Yeah I read that on a few places, but I always have sun to my back or at least most times when shooting birds, so anytime I take my eye from VF I guess sunlight can get in there, even just carrying it with lens down, if this is the case then its never going to stop, and is a major malfunction.. does the EVF have to be active for it to happen? if so they should make it turn off the split second you take eye away
    Wish I knew the answer to that one, Jim. My suspicion is that the camera 'might' have to be turned on, but I'm not sure. Yesterday I took a hike with the camera carried on a Capture clip on the backpack strap, so the EVF was pointed straight up at the sky. It was a bright sunny day, although the hike went through a lot of forested trail. However, there were some long sunny stretches, particularly along the summit, where I stopped for water and a snack. There were also numerous short stops to prevent full-on cardiac arrest (it was a long and exercise deficient winter). I made sure to keep the camera turned off when on the clip, and checked the evf when I got home. No blotches, but I don't suppose that proves anything.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

yes I would think camera has to be on, and one would think evf activated.. not sure how long it stays on after taking eye away, mines on its was to service so cant check now.. I never noticed the green blotches while out shooting, they just appeared the next days when I went out again, so may take a while after exposure to show up, if it is the sun doing it.. the e5 had the little button you could turn it off, I the em1 doesn't that I can find, will we need a curtain like the e5 has to close it before taking it away from your eye? and hope you remember to open it for next shot, but then again closing a curtain would probably activate the evf and it would be on all the time.. all I know is its the dun, they better come up with something, not sure what it will cost when off warranty, might be worth getting extended warranty before it runs out I guess

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    George

Just a quick update on my camera, picked it up from Oly this morning and apparently there were faults with the board on my camera as well as the EVF. I've been given a brand new one as a swap out due to the age of my old one.

Took some shots today and was playing around with them in Apeture, they are Pin sharp compared to the old body ones using exactly the same lens.

Definitely something amiss with the old body... Now just to be very mindful of light entering the EVF for my daytime shoots

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoose View Post
    Just a quick update on my camera, picked it up from Oly this morning and apparently there were faults with the board on my camera as well as the EVF. I've been given a brand new one as a swap out due to the age of my old one.

Took some shots today and was playing around with them in Apeture, they are Pin sharp compared to the old body ones using exactly the same lens.

Definitely something amiss with the old body... Now just to be very mindful of light entering the EVF for my daytime shoots
    Glad to hear they gave you a new one, I didnt have any HW problems with mine other than the evf, well at least not since a few firmware updates, at least it hasnt hung up on me on a while now

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Mine is on its way back now, it got there on a Sat when they were closed so they received it last Monday and shipped it back today, so about a week turn around, not too bad, but I had my EM5 back the same week last time. but I am only one day away by mail or UPS.. will try and remember to keep the sun out of the view finder, if that is even possible

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Mine is on its way back now, it got there on a Sat when they were closed so they received it last Monday and shipped it back today, so about a week turn around, not too bad, but I had my EM5 back the same week last time. but I am only one day away by mail or UPS.. will try and remember to keep the sun out of the view finder, if that is even possible
    Over at dpreview, somebody made a little adapter to provide a shade (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53896750). I was thinking of something with velcro.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I suppose you have seen this on my thread on this subject. (http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/thr...-M1-PITA/page2) What diopter settings have you with screwed displays been using? Seems to make the difference.
    Mine should be back from its second evf replacement sometime this week. Be interesting to see what they say, if anything....

http://www.oly-forum.com/forum/kamer...comment-269610

see my last post in English.

PS, It makes no difference if the camera is on or off! Some of my spots appeared after carying the camery turned off.
    Last edited by Daniel Bradley; 06-24-2014 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I tried to hold my thumb over the eyepiece as much as possible to protect it when carrying the camera around, but it happens so quickly no shutter or flap or thumb can prevent it 100%. Best to resort to wearing glasses and leaving the setting at 0 or better yet, only using the camera indoors or on rainy days....at least it is water proof and freeze proof....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Hmm.. I use a +2 diopter eyepiece on my e5 to be able to get camera diopter correct for focus, so with the em1 not having that accessory, but they seemed to have greatly increased the range in the built in diopter, so not sure off hand buts its turned up at least 4 notches from 0

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Do your spots look like mine, or are they a bit more diffuse?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Do your spots look like mine, or are they a bit more diffuse?

They looked similar, I had less and they were longer and a light green in color, should have taken a pic of them, mine were getting worse each day, started out in lower left and grew across center, just got camera back a few minutes ago, they said nothing about how to prevent it, just they replaced TFT unit, and cleaned recalibrate and focus adjustements, and firmware, which I had the latest 1.4 on already so not sure what version they put on

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Just got word that mine has been repaired and is on the way back. We'll see what they say....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bradley View Post
    Just got word that mine has been repaired and is on the way back. We'll see what they say....
    I just powered mine up and reset all the menu stuff I could remember, once I get it all down I will make a spreadsheet to remember where I want each setting as Godfrey Suggested, firmware is still 1.4 so maybe after replacing parts they need to reload firmware to get the parts in synch, also checked diopter and I am two clicks away from the end of adjustment towards the top, so I guess in a bad spot for this to happen again, guess the extended warranty will have to be gotten

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well, you have six months warranty on any repair they do anyway, so if it happens again....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I just powered mine up and reset all the menu stuff I could remember, once I get it all down I will make a spreadsheet to remember where I want each setting as Godfrey Suggested ...
    My blank template is still available and you're welcome to use it:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ings_BLANK.pdf

Saves a lot of time to just pencil in changes that you make rather than writing down the defaults.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

thanks that will come in handy

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have had the same marks on my EVF. I sent it back for repair and have also spoken to olympus.. I was told that light has got in through the eyepiece and caused the damage. I explained that it occurred when I was focussing on a butterfly waiting for it to open its wings. I was looking through the eye piece with the sun behind me. This happened twice on the same day. Olympus have fixed the EVF as a "gesture of goodwill!" I am disappointed because if this is correct it surely limits the use of the camera. If it happens again I presume they won't fix it under warranty.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Welcome to the club.
    What eyepiece diopter setting do you use?
    Last edited by Daniel Bradley; 08-17-2014 at 05:46 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I am interested in the EM1, but will not consider it until this issue is sorted.
    Do the other manufacturers, Pany, Sony etc have the same problems?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Score one more for the OVF....
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/