Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone send their EM1 in for evf replacement lately?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Anyone send their EM1 in for evf replacement lately?

It appears the principal issue with the people having burning on their EVF, is that they are using the diopter adjustment at a significant magnification to adjust for less than normal vision, which pinpoints focusing the sunlight entering the rear eyepiece onto EVFs screen, no different than adjusting the beam from a regular magnifying glass and burning things, as many of us did as kids.

If you wear glasses. then you should not have to adjust the diopter, the EVF diopter adjustment should be set at the central or neutral setting, and there should be no problem at all.

The differences become whether or not you have myopia -nearsightedness, (means that someone can clearly see objects close to them, but objects farther away appear blurry).
    Then you don't need your glasses to see the menus or settings on the camera. In that case, If you use the diopter adjustment then exposing the EVF to sunlight entering the rear eyepiece is likely to cause burning!

Or like myself have hyperopia- farsightedness, (means that the person can clearly see distant objects, but not objects close to them).

I would love be able to adjust the Diopter so as to not have to use my glasses and be able to see the entire VF area without scrolling my glasses around , but once I take my eye away from the camera I cannot see any of the info settings on the LCD s

I wear my glasses all the time and have no issues with the EVF, even though it has be exposed to direct sunlight numerous times since I've had my E-M1

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by srtgray View Post
    Score one more for the OVF....
    Not too sure about the future of ovf, I think it is viewed as old and rather limited in this age of fast paced technology.
    The reason I am interested in
    the smaller format of the equipment is that I have just returned from a holiday in the Uk where there were many times that I wished I had a smaller camera system than my E5: a wedding, a renewal of vows, a family reunion, walks up mountains in the Lake District.
    if I can get great image quality from a smaller package that is affordable then I am interested.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'm not sure how to measure where the diopter is but mine is 4 clicks back from the furthest it can go to the - end. if i look through my glasses I can have it 5 clicks back from the furthest it can go to the + end. i use it without my glasses. Olympus told me it doesn't matter if the camera is turned on or off. I traveled with a friend who also uses an EM 1 but only uses the panel on the back which would leave the eye piece exposed all the time. So far she has no damage to the EVF.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

4-5 clicks back from the furthest is only +2-3 from center, well within what we have considered to be the "safe zone".

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Roberts View Post
    Not too sure about the future of ovf, I think it is viewed as old and rather limited in this age of fast paced technology.
    That's good, 'cos I'm old and rather limited in this age of fast paced technology!

I think you are right though, OVF has a limited future. I think it's a shame personally, but if the market is bigger for EVF then that's what will be made and sold.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by srtgray View Post
    I think it's a shame personally, but if the market is bigger for EVF then that's what will be made and sold.
    The market wasn't bigger, the manufacturers have created it!
    It costs way less to manufacture, (eliminates the prism, moving mirrors, and AF focus module), with the side advantage of reducing size and weight.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dh202 View Post
    The market wasn't bigger, the manufacturers have created it!
    It costs way less to manufacture, (eliminates the prism, moving mirrors, and AF focus module), with the side advantage of reducing size and weight.
    The EVF itself, however, is quite expensive ... the second most-expensive item in an E-M1 to source after the imager sensor itself, according to industry journals.

OVFs have their place for certain kinds of work due to their unbeatable responsiveness, but EVFs pose several advantages not possible with an OVF. As with anything else, pick and choose which one does the best job for the things you want to do.

G