Thread: Dust Reduction

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Default Dust Reduction

When I first started exploring digital cameras in 2006, after a long hiatus from film, I was focused on features, not brands. At the time, Olympus had two striking features that sold me, in body stabilization and dust reduction.

Although the OMD line has their exceptional dust reduction system, it is not a selling point like it was; it's hardly mentioned. A few days ago after a family portrait shoot I noticed a dust spot in the sky on the images. It didn't take much to clean it up in post. And, the next day doing a similar shoot, the dust was gone. I knew it would be. This has happened a couple of times before. It doesn't take much more than turning the camera off and on to active the system and remove the dust. Since 2006, with my E510, E3, E5 and now EM1, I have never had to have my sensor cleaned, even though there has been, now and then, dust. It simply gets removed by the dust reduction system.

So, why is it the dust reduction feature has lost favor as a major selling point??
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

https://www.facebook.com/kenfieldsphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/MauiIslandPortraits

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default Re: Dust Reduction

I would think it's most likely due to the other manufacturers having dust reduction systems as well. It was unique to Oly for a time but now isn't.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Yeah, I suppose that's it; nobody seems to mention it as a feature, almost as if its just a given that it will be there.
    "The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven" - John Milton, Paradise Lost
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

Thanks
    Feedback Score

though I wonder if there's another dust reduction system as effective as Oly's.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I was at one of my camera clubs the other night and one of the guys always has the latest and greatest Nikon gear. He was talking about how he's always fighting dust spots on his sensor. I have mentioned on more than one occasion that I have never cleaned any of my sensors and the Canon and Nikon shooters just look at me like I'm an alien, so I quit talking about it, LOL.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

May I suggest these Nikon shooters should look at their lens changing technique ?

I've only been shooting Nikon (D7100/D800) since last Xmas and dust is not an issue...

Cheers, Don

BTW - six Oly bodies since 2007 and no dust
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800/D500
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    Birds and other stuff

Thanks
    Feedback Score

My first digital camera was chosen (2008) because it had (1) dust reduction, (2) live-view, (3) in-body image stabilization. The "others" did not.
    Canikon users are "stuck on stupid".
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beameup For This Useful Post:

Steven R (07-08-2014)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Will-"I would think it's most likely due to the other manufacturers having dust reduction systems as well. It was unique to Oly for a time but now isn't."

Actually it is unique to Oly Will, in that it works. Starting with the E-1 and via several bodies to the E-M1, I have only once noticed dust on an Oly sensor, and it disappeared after turning the camera off and on again. I usually carry a couple of lenses, and change them in outdoor, sometimes windy conditions. I have 2 Canons and a Nikon, all of which have dust reduction systems, and all of which show dust regularly. It does disappear in time, but I'm off to the shop to get a sensor swab kit for the Nikon because it persists.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    My first digital camera was chosen (2008) because it had (1) dust reduction, (2) live-view, (3) in-body image stabilization. The "others" did not.
    Canikon users are "stuck on stupid".
    Constructive comment Steven. I shot Oly for years and still own an OM loaded with film but as one who can not afford multiple systems and didn't care for the direction Oly has gone I bought Canon and have been extremely happy with my gear. Some of the ISOs I have shot so far wouldn't be possible with Oly. I should have switched years ago when my Oly gear would have brought more money but held out hope for another dslr. Thanks for your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baldwinson View Post
    Will-"I would think it's most likely due to the other manufacturers having dust reduction systems as well. It was unique to Oly for a time but now isn't."

Actually it is unique to Oly Will, in that it works. Starting with the E-1 and via several bodies to the E-M1, I have only once noticed dust on an Oly sensor, and it disappeared after turning the camera off and on again. I usually carry a couple of lenses, and change them in outdoor, sometimes windy conditions. I have 2 Canons and a Nikon, all of which have dust reduction systems, and all of which show dust regularly. It does disappear in time, but I'm off to the shop to get a sensor swab kit for the Nikon because it persists.
    Cheers,
    Don

Don I'm sure you'll agree that perception is everything. If any manufacturer claims a dust reduction system, most will not dig very deep especially when it's Canon or Nikon. It was one thing I always liked about my Oly gear. My history is new with Canon so I'll withhold judgement until I've been shooting them a little longer but so far, so good with my 60D and 70D and one lens I shoot and shoot alot is nicknamed the "dust pump"

Enjoy your day or night depending on where you are.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Big Greg View Post
    I was at one of my camera clubs the other night and one of the guys always has the latest and greatest Nikon gear. He was talking about how he's always fighting dust spots on his sensor. I have mentioned on more than one occasion that I have never cleaned any of my sensors and the Canon and Nikon shooters just look at me like I'm an alien, so I quit talking about it, LOL.
    Same here!

Worst thing is, the Canikon users think you're an amateur because of it!! Like you cannot be a 'real' photographer if you don't clean your own sensor!
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Edmunds For This Useful Post:

Big Greg (07-13-2014)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

I was helping out a young friend get familiar with their new Canon T3i, not that I'm familiar with it, but I kind of know where to look on the menu for various functions. When the camera went off an image of a sensor appeared on the lcd and words saying, 'your sensor is being cleaned' and a light flickered. That is what reminded me that Oly had a light indicating the sensor was being cleaned when it turned on, though no image or words on the lcd screen stating such. Now, with Oly, hardly a mention of it in marketing, no light indicating its happening, and yet its there and still, in my eyes, one of the stand out features, because it works so well.
    _____
    -Ken

Portals

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'm in a Photography MeetUp group that has 1,000 members. Before each monthly general meeting we have a "mentoring" session.
    There are many tables, dedicated to Nikon and Canon groups, for individual "mentoring" on the basics.
    There are but a "handful" of other people available for all other brands.
    Having been around these people for years, I can say that the Canikon (or Nikocan) people
    are "clueless" as far as Olympus four-thirds is concerned. Totally "in the dark".
    To them, "bigger is better", and the "more expensive, the better".
    E-510 IR 665nm, 14-42mm II, 40-150mm II

OM-D E-M1 +
    14-54mm II

Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8 & 9mm f/8 "fisheye"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I did manage to get something either on my sensor or lens with the E-M1. I used a blower to clean it out and gave the lens I was using a good cleaning, but this was kind of a bummer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014 0712 Hurricane Ridge 106.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	466.9 KB 
ID:	47888

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Greg View Post
    I did manage to get something either on my sensor or lens with the E-M1. I used a blower to clean it out and gave the lens I was using a good cleaning, but this was kind of a bummer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014 0712 Hurricane Ridge 106.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	466.9 KB 
ID:	47888
    That circular blob on the photo that you posted is a classical example of a spot on the lens, not the sensor. When I first got one, I thought it was the sensor, but it turned out to be a barely discernable faint water spot on one of my lens. It was so faint, that I could not believe that it could be causing any impact on the photo, but it was. It caused a little blob exactly like yours. Your cleaning of the lens should have cleared it. Down here in Florida we get a lot of pop-up summer showers, so I have been often caught in the rain. Since everything is water resistant, I can keep on shooting. And shooting a lot at the beach, with wind, sand, and sea spray can cause spots on the lens also. But I now know what causes those little blobs, and know that cleaning both ends of the lens will take care of it.

In many years of Oly shooting, with different bodies, I have never had a spot remain on the sensor with Olympus. My Nikon and Canon buddies all own a lens sensor cleaning kit.
    Steven R
    Tampa, Florida

E-330, E-520, E-3

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Steven R For This Useful Post:

Big Greg (07-15-2014)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
    That circular blob on the photo that you posted is a classical example of a spot on the lens, not the sensor. When I first got one, I thought it was the sensor, but it turned out to be a barely discernable faint water spot on one of my lens. It was so faint, that I could not believe that it could be causing any impact on the photo, but it was. It caused a little blob exactly like yours. Your cleaning of the lens should have cleared it. Down here in Florida we get a lot of pop-up summer showers, so I have been often caught in the rain. Since everything is water resistant, I can keep on shooting. And shooting a lot at the beach, with wind, sand, and sea spray can cause spots on the lens also. But I now know what causes those little blobs, and know that cleaning both ends of the lens will take care of it.

In many years of Oly shooting, with different bodies, I have never had a spot remain on the sensor with Olympus. My Nikon and Canon buddies all own a lens sensor cleaning kit.
    The fact that all the other shots I took that day (over 200) except the ones with that lens led me to believe it was the lens, but it happened at the end of the day so I didn't completely rule out the sensor. I did see some water spots on the front element of the lens, so I'm sure that's what it was.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    I'm in a Photography MeetUp group that has 1,000 members. Before each monthly general meeting we have a "mentoring" session.
    There are many tables, dedicated to Nikon and Canon groups, for individual "mentoring" on the basics.
    There are but a "handful" of other people available for all other brands.
    Having been around these people for years, I can say that the Canikon (or Nikocan) people
    are "clueless" as far as Olympus four-thirds is concerned. Totally "in the dark".
    To them, "bigger is better", and the "more expensive, the better".
    ...and I, not only being a serious photographer since I was 12, and also having been in the retail photographic and picture framing business for the past 40 some odd years, can unequivocally say that a very large % of those people, do nothing but take common snapshots with their expensive gear ;-)

Ming Thein a very accomplished pro photographer and blogger, recently posted a somewhat apropos blog and good read...
    http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/07/07...ras/#more-8620
    Last edited by dh202; 07-15-2014 at 05:37 PM.