Thread: Asked to shoot some wedding video... need some advice

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Asked to shoot some wedding video... need some advice

So a friend of mine didn't have the budget for a videographer for her wedding this weekend and asked if I could help. I said no problem. They don't want/expect some crazy professional video and they already have a professional photographer, they would just like some video documentation of the event itself. I've never done it before but seems exciting (and have been ASSURED that any video will be great lol no bridezilla will be hunting me down)

So they showed me the video camera they have and it shoots on 8mm tapes...

So I thought hey what a great excuse to look into buying a new Olympus camera. I currently shoot with an e510, its pretty old but works great for me. I would like to upgrade but don't want to spend over $1000 on a camera and kit lens. Since I have been shooting an old body, I have been kinda out of the loop on Olympus's body upgrades. Any recommendations for what would be a good out of the box video experience (and later on photography experience of course)...

Thank you for any suggestions and experiences!
    E510, 14-42mm, Old 40-150 mm , 70-300 mm and counting

Minolta X-700, 50mm, Samyang 75-300mm
    Olympus OM-1

www.surfphotosd.com

I wanna take the preconceived out from underneath your feet we could shake it off and instead we'll plant some seeds

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Asked to shoot some wedding video... need some advice

Hi JM,

Advice is simple enough. Borrow their camcordert and shoot what you can on their 8mm or Hi-8 tapes. That is what they asked for and what I- if asked, and I have taken the public TV tech course even- personally would deliver. If you had a month to play with a more recent video capable camera and had the time to test it out I would suggest any of the OMD models. An unedited tape stream is going to include a lot of junk and you have no editing experience and no time to learn same. You will shoot on media cards and the B and G will view on some other format..... Your lenses are another story. Weddings can be dim affairs and you need to know what you can do to focus and shoot with the new camera and the old lenses in your kit. I have some video with DSLR experience and I encourage you to buy one. The OM EM 10 has good reviews. The stereo audio needs to be considered. On camera or add on microphone business. I could ramble on for a long time, but suggest you look at a few other forums on video DSLR to see the range of stuff people use. Like this one:
    http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com/
    It is geared to Panasonic cameras of course. Lumix is marginally and arguably more video oriented a company. But the new Olympi are no slouches. I give you full warrant to use this occasion to upgrade! Check some typical wedding shots by DSLR shooters and the gear they use, including lenses. Time you got into the loop.....sometimes video can be loads of fun on a HD TV screen. Especially the everyone dunk and wrestling events at the reception....I am kidding of course. Check G. Scorio who does much with video on his web site.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by orthogent View Post
    Hi JM,

Advice is simple enough. Borrow their camcordert and shoot what you can on their 8mm or Hi-8 tapes. That is what they asked for and what I- if asked, and I have taken the public TV tech course even- personally would deliver. If you had a month to play with a more recent video capable camera and had the time to test it out I would suggest any of the OMD models. An unedited tape stream is going to include a lot of junk and you have no editing experience and no time to learn same. You will shoot on media cards and the B and G will view on some other format..... Your lenses are another story. Weddings can be dim affairs and you need to know what you can do to focus and shoot with the new camera and the old lenses in your kit. I have some video with DSLR experience and I encourage you to buy one. The OM EM 10 has good reviews. The stereo audio needs to be considered. On camera or add on microphone business. I could ramble on for a long time, but suggest you look at a few other forums on video DSLR to see the range of stuff people use. Like this one:
    http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com/
    It is geared to Panasonic cameras of course. Lumix is marginally and arguably more video oriented a company. But the new Olympi are no slouches. I give you full warrant to use this occasion to upgrade! Check some typical wedding shots by DSLR shooters and the gear they use, including lenses. Time you got into the loop.....sometimes video can be loads of fun on a HD TV screen. Especially the everyone dunk and wrestling events at the reception....I am kidding of course. Check G. Scorio who does much with video on his web site.
    Ya I definitely see where you are coming from, thank you for your advice. I don't have access to their camcorder til the day of the wedding either so if I bought myself a camera I'd have more time with it haha
    Thank you for all the great links and sites, I will check those all out this week. What do you mean "Check G. Scorio"? I found a like new EM-5 that doesn't come with the kit lens, rather a 40-150, and comes with a battery grip, battery, and 8 GB SD card for $840 so I am looking in to that.
    E510, 14-42mm, Old 40-150 mm , 70-300 mm and counting

Minolta X-700, 50mm, Samyang 75-300mm
    Olympus OM-1

www.surfphotosd.com

I wanna take the preconceived out from underneath your feet we could shake it off and instead we'll plant some seeds

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

It is your call. Unless you were going to buy the camera any way, I would not buy a camera for this event. One possibility is renting a camera for a few days.

I have not used Panasonic cameras, so this only applies to Olympus Pens (and E-5) shooting video. If you get a camera that pre-dates the E-M5, it will only record in motion JPG mode, and you will be limited to 7 minutes of HD movies and 14 minutes of VGA movies before the 2GB limit for movies is reached, and you have to stop production. If the priest/rabbi/minister/imman/etc. goes long, you might find that 7/14 minute is reached at just the wrong period of time. If you have a newer camera, you can use AVC-HD to record movies, and there the limit is 29 minutes if you use max. compression in recording (this is due to a European tariff). If you use minimal compression, I think the limit is about 23 minutes when the 2GB limit is reached.

In terms of lenses, you want MSC lenses that have some optimizations for continuous focus. You will still hear the lens motor grind away as the camera tries to auto focus. For things like the ceremony where you know where people will be, consider using aperture priority mode within the movie settings, and get as much depth of field as you can.

Hopefully the place is lit, and is not a dark cave as some churches tend to be. Be sure to ask ahead of time what rules for photographers and videographers are for the location.

Use a tripod for the main ceremony, but don't lock down the head, so that that you can if need be pan. For the reception, it is probably better to lose the tripod, except for the staged shots.

If you have a significant other (wife, girlfriend, etc.) make sure she/he knows you will be unavailable for most of the wedding (i.e. no dancing for you). In addition, note that you will be spending all of your time monitoring the camera, and will remember little of the ceremony. Now, in the case where there is no option for videos due to cost, then it is your choice whether that is a fitting present for the couple. Also, don't talk to people while shooting the video, unless you want your conversation recorded for posterity.

I record a lot of video at renaissance faires, and I find Olympus cameras cumbersome. I bought a JVC cam-corder that is much, much, much better at recording video, and use that. Face mode and auto focus just works, as does zooming the lens. You can actually photograph action and have the camera mostly keep up (I still have problems capturing belly dancers).

In my last ren-faire, I had my main battery for the JVC go out, and I had an hour or two while I was recharging the battery, when I needed to use the E-5 to record video. As a consequence, I just ordered two new replacement batteries and junked the previous battery. Be sure all batteries are fully charged, and work.

Unless you can stand for the whole ceremony, make sure you have a chair when using the tripod.

Set expectations, that you will not be doing video editing.
    Last edited by Michael Meissner; 07-07-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Unhappy Re: Asked to shoot some wedding video... need some advice

Sound advice from Michael Meissner above. Pay heed... Video can be fun. And is a learning experience for those of us who have spent so much time just getting a grasp on still shooting. Motion is easy to do. Good motion is job of work as you will find out. What you have learned in lighting will help some. I have bought2 small LED panels for about 60 dollars which I could use to add some light in an impossible situation. My guess is that the B and Groom are using you to just fill in some grab shots of the guests at each table and maybe a little of the actual ceremony. My other thought is to talk ahead of time with the paid still shooter and get his ideas. He will have already shot in the venues and tell you what to expect. ( And don't get in her way- BAD situation known to result) Is there any way you can get your hands on the video cam for a couple hours? There are some photographers who have posted online shots of the reception, which is where some of the fun motion takes place. Remember to get every table and everbody's mugs into the tape. Find out if the camcorder provided will have a fully charged and a spare battery and have a few new and or well erased 8mm tapes. I shot with one of Canon's first HI-8 cameras and I think nowadays they are virtually an obsolete format......maybe the family plans to send them to a service to have them copied to some other format like DVD. G. Scorio you asked? HE is Giulio Scorio who is becoming a key blogger on what he terms "hybrid" photography. Start here if you like:
    http://giuliosciorio.com/

A place to see what can be done with DSLRs and accessories -just for fun- is here, mainly to sample some clips down with non cinema studio equipment, though it can run big bucks
    :http://www.eoshd.com/
    And last but not least, I would peruse the clips of wedding work done by semi pros here:

-http://vimeo.com/search?q=wedding+shots
    ...use search function there,s sir...Oh yeah, if you get a decent take on dad dancing with bride and bride and groom dancing that is visible and lit somehow you are almost home free. Well, almost!
    Alas, the Busch book on EM-1 does not lay out a lot on video shooting. That will take another book methinks. Check around...
    I shot my son's wedding, and I did a lousy job. My nervous tension as part of the wedding party was the likely reason I forgot about WB and high contrast. Hmm, wonder if the new OM D cameras have a wedding Art mode...guess that is for the next generation. I jest! It can be work or can be fun as long as your expectations are in consonance with the family. Let us know how this works out. Just keep moving around and act like you know what you are doing. And don't back up and fall into the cake! Shalom aloha. Peace and good tidings, gs

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I know that the video area has popped up a lot of specialized and costly gear. You can however use home made and improvised equipment since you will be experimenting with this new area. Here is a two panel LED light bar that I made up using two sixty buck LED panels and an old Stroboframe swivel and a very old light stand.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED light  panels for video.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	47851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED light  panels for video.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	47851
    I also made up a camera boom from a binocular mount parallel boom with weight attached.....though you can get a gliding effect if you are a fluid mover yourself and know your gear. Some things call for motion, and the new cameras deliver both stills and HD motion in a single package. One day it will be the norm for shooters to do video and dual imaging of still and video. It is the future like it or not. MTV for the masses....