Thread: Anyone shooting GX7 ?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Anyone shooting GX7 ?

I bought this camera in february (20mm kit) and keep using this combo in 95% of my shooting endeavours (which are really rare lately).
    I can't be happier - it actually is so enjoyable to use as almost no other camera I used - E-1 may be at the same level actually.

So I wonder if other had chance to use it as main or at least occasional camera and what they think of it.

The 20mm is great gem. Everyone keeps saying it's a slow focusing lens and as such it was being unwanted - mine focuses much much faster then 17mm Oly pancake.
    Also low light capability and image quality are like nothing else I used before....well the low light for sure - the iq of ZD is also great.

I think Pana will have really hard time to make a decent successor....the cam has it all. shutter speed, controls, dials, ergonomics....its great little tool.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Anyone shooting GX7 ?

The GX7 is a gem - I borrowed it for a few days earlier this year, and I have missed it since then.

I think you have the new 20mm; that focuses a bit quicker than the old original (which I have). The IQ is brilliant on both.

It is going to be a tough act to follow - I can agree on that
    flickr | "God made the integers; all else is the work of man" - Leopold Kronecker

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I don't believe there is any difference between the new and old 20mm lenses. They are the same, only the cosmetic finish is different. The 20mm is only slow focusing in bad light or non-contrasty subjects. For me, it replaced the Fuji X100 and I considered it an improvement, because my god, we m4/3 users simply don't know what SLOW autofocus is!

While I don't have the GX7, I have the E-M5, and I do agree, if you are coming from an E-620 and f/2.8 lenses to an E-M5/GX-7 + 20mm f/1.7, its like a whole new world of photography opens up for you as far as low light goes.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.8 - 45mm f/1.8 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I like the GX7 design a lot, it's a terrific camera.

I bought the Olympus E-M1 because I prefer the E-M1's viewfinder and it's a better body to use with my FourThirds SLR lenses.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Valid points Godfrey.
    I made a peace with idea that I will use m4/3 on m. bodies and 4/3 on E-5 and E-1. I still bring 12-60 with me on vacations in case I want to shoot something for micro stock agencies but haven't used it last couple of times at all.
    Once I get 7-14 as my only UWA on any platform, I won't be bringing 12-60.
    GX-7 is awesome little gem. When I compare it to EPL5 or EP2 it's on another level of professionalism.
    Cameras:E-5; E-3; E-1; E-620; GH-1
    Lens: 12-60mm 50mm f/2; 50-200swd; Ex-25; 70-300; 40-150mkI; 35mm f/3.5; 25mm f/2.8; 14-140 u43
    Lights: Fl36Rx2; Fl50R; FL50; Elinchrom 2x400ws radio controlled.

Click on the image to see my Facebook page
    And while you are at it, Like it if you like it

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
    Valid points Godfrey.
    I made a peace with idea that I will use m4/3 on m. bodies and 4/3 on E-5 and E-1. I still bring 12-60 with me on vacations in case I want to shoot something for micro stock agencies but haven't used it last couple of times at all.
    Once I get 7-14 as my only UWA on any platform, I won't be bringing 12-60.
    GX-7 is awesome little gem. When I compare it to EPL5 or EP2 it's on another level of professionalism.
    I consider the E-M1 my "pro grade system camera", replacement for my E-5 and complement to my E-1. I do tend to use the mFT lenses I've acquired on it more than the FT (mostly Summilux 25 and Macro-Elmarit 45), but I haven't yet found a comparable pair of lenses to the 11-22 and 50-200 in mFT as yet.

I think the more fair comparison is to the E-P5, they're about on the same size and performance plane, with the big distinction being the built-in vs add-on EVF.
    I have an E-PL1, which I sometimes carry simply because of its size and weight compared to even the E-M1. I almost always have the Olympus BCL-15mm lens on it as a grab and go. I could see replacing it with either the E-P5 or GX7.

I like the fact of the E-P5's IBIS and I have the Oly VF-4 already. But I like the built-in on the GX7 and the design of the body. I have no real need, honestly I have way more cameras than I want already, but the GX7 appeals to me the same way the Panasonic L1 did. It's just a very nice design that works well ... :-)

G