Thread: My E-1 is going back into full-time service again.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default My E-1 is going back into full-time service again.

My granddaughter is just starting second year high school, and she wants to take her photography beyond what her iPhone can give her. A couple of weeks ago, I gave her my E-10 just before she left on a trip. She charged up new batteries the night before the trip, but when she went to take her first shot with the camera, she found the camera is dead.

I told her I will give her my E-1, and she is thrilled. I checked out my E-1 and found it still takes great photos. I just sent for a SD card to CF card adapter and a new SD card for her as she is used to working with SD cards and does not have provisions on her computer for CF cards.

I am so happy my E-1 is hopefully going to get her really interested in being a serious photographer.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: My E-1 is going back into full-time service again.

Quote Originally Posted by lkeeney View Post
    My granddaughter is just starting second year high school, and she wants to take her photography beyond what her iPhone can give her. A couple of weeks ago, I gave her my E-10 just before she left on a trip. She charged up new batteries the night before the trip, but when she went to take her first shot with the camera, she found the camera is dead.

I told her I will give her my E-1, and she is thrilled. I checked out my E-1 and found it still takes great photos. I just sent for a SD card to CF card adapter and a new SD card for her as she is used to working with SD cards and does not have provisions on her computer for CF cards.

I am so happy my E-1 is hopefully going to get her really interested in being a serious photographer.
    Good to hear it!

Test the converter. In my experience, most of the converters will only work with SD cards up to 2G, they won't work with SDHC or SDXC cards. Of course, a 2G card in an E-1 can store a lot of photos. 5Mpixel files, even raw, are not that enormous. :-)

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Good to hear it!

Test the converter. In my experience, most of the converters will only work with SD cards up to 2G, they won't work with SDHC or SDXC cards. Of course, a 2G card in an E-1 can store a lot of photos. 5Mpixel files, even raw, are not that enormous. :-)

G
    Thanks for the information on the converter. I can't even remember what size SD card I ordered. I am leaving for a trip across the country in about an hour, but will be back in about a week. I can't wait to see if this will work in the E-1.
    Lawrence

All of the images I post are open for critique. Feel free to modify one of my images if it helps the critique.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: My E-1 is going back into full-time service again.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Good to hear it!

G
    It depends on when the converter was designed. The original SD format was limited to 2g, SD-HC cards are 2-32GB, SD-XC cards are 32GB and higher. I have some SD readers/cameras that only accept the original SD cards, and some that accept SD-HC cards but not SD-XC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital. By and large, SD cards are pretty rare these days, with the bulk now being SD-HC.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    It depends on when the converter was designed. The original SD format was limited to 2g, SD-HC cards are 2-32GB, SD-XC cards are 32GB and higher. I have some SD readers/cameras that only accept the original SD cards, and some that accept SD-HC cards but not SD-XC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital. By and large, SD cards are pretty rare these days, with the bulk now being SD-HC.
    bold part: I guess I said that already, in a different way... but thanks. ;-)

I have two of the converters, purchased well after SDHC was available, and neither of them will work with anything but SD cards up to 2G in size. I hardly use them ... I have an 8G CF card in the E-1 that provides effectively limitless storage for my use of the camera, and a nice fast CF card reader that I plug in when I need it. Such it is.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I recommend having a CF card reader for your computer, rather than using an SD->CF converter in camera. Definitely far fewer issues are likely this way.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.8 - 45mm f/1.8 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My granddaughter has a Mac, one of those that are the size of a book. It does not have a reader for CF cards, and no USB port for connecting a card reader. I don't know anything about Macs, so I thought the CF to SD converter would work best.

I guess I will know if it works when I get back from this trip.
    Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

No USB? I don't know of ANY Macs (even the Mini, which you seem to be describing) which lack a USB port.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Just a thought, if it's one of the original MacBook Airs, the USB port is behind a flap on the right hand side.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

My granddaughter has a Mac, one of those that are the size of a book. It does not have a reader for CF cards, and no USB port for connecting a card reader. I don't know anything about Macs, so I thought the CF to SD converter would work best.

I guess I will know if it works when I get back from this trip.
    Lawrence,

A few moments research goes a long way ... All MacBook models (MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air) from the very beginning of the line in 2006 have at least one USB2-capable port, usually two. MacBook Air models (11 and 13 inch) have two USB ports, current ones support up to USB3 protocol. Both models also have a Thunderbolt port, which allows expansion to include lots of high speed devices—USB/2/3, FireWire 800/400, ethernet, etc, through a protocol converter. If she has a MacBook Air with an SD/SDHC/SDXC reader built-in, it is a MacBook Air 13".

http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/specs.html

I agree with Edmunds: best to get a CF card reader (they cost very little) and a CF card rather than use an adapter. But if the adapter works, eh? who cares. ;-)

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks Thomas and Godfrey,

Maybe my granddaughter didn't understand what I was asking her to look for when I told her about the USB port. I will be back there tomorrow and I will check it out myself.
    Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I just wanted to report I received the SD card to CF card converter and the 8GB SD card I had ordered. I did some initial testing in the E-1 and didn't see any problem.
    Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I just wanted to report I received the SD card to CF card converter and the 8GB SD card I had ordered. I did some initial testing in the E-1 and didn't see any problem.
    Sounds good! As they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I presume these new memory converter cards are designed to handle the higher density SD cards.
    Lawrence