Thread: Slow learner?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Question Slow learner?

I don't know whether I'm stoopid, delusional, devoted, or what.

I bought my E-1 relatively early on...meaning before there were others other than the E-300. I was, and am conviced of the optical quality of the ZD lenses. A fair period of time passed before I did anything else, as I was shooting less for a while, and not inclined to spend. I was also pretty happy with the E-1...speed notwithstanding.

I consciously went with the 4/3 system in spite of having the feeling that (due to sensor size), it was probably a technological dead-end. What the camera and lenses did was work.

I got the itch to "upgrade." The E-3 was old news, as was the E-30. But deals were to be had for well-cared for E-30s, where the E-3s were scarce at the time, so I found a nice 30, and have enjoyed it. I'd hoped that the E-7 was on the horizon, as I was not inclined to spend the difference for the E-5.

But for some unexplained reason, I kept watching for an E-5. I didn't/don't need one. I didn't like the EVF of the micro 4/3 system, and suspected that my lenses would work better and "feel" more normal on a full-sized body. I had a notion of what I'd be willing to spend, if or when I found one.

Word to the wise: Don't throw an offhand bid at an eBay auction ending on Friday afternoon. Nobody's paying attention, and it might just stick. Well...it did. Anybody wanna admit being the South Carolina seller I just patronized?

Now: Here's the question: I also have an E-510 that I bought to carry on motorcycle trips with two MK-II lenses. Do I sell the E-30 or the E-510?

And the first question: Am I stoopid, delusional, devoted, or what???
    Last edited by zone6; 08-23-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: misspelling, clarification
    No, I don't miss film...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Slow learner?

Nothing wrong with an E-30, and if you have the lenses for it, life is good.
    Enjoy it!

Still like shooting with the E-1 myself, although between the E-M1, A7, and all my Polaroid SX-70 and Spectra cameras it's not gotten much use lately.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I still have, use, and like my E-30, in spite of an E-M1 being my "main camera" (for the moment). I always found it to be the best bang for the buck in the Oly DSLR line.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

So wait, you bought the E-5? That wasn't entirely clear at the end!

I think you're gonna be quite happy with your purchase. Weather sealing and weaker AA filter are definitely the 2 things that will make it stand out over the E-30. It is a bit heavier though.

I decided to go with m4/3 despite the EVF, but if I hadn't I'd definitely be looking at an E-5 and the f/2 zooms.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.8 - 45mm f/1.8 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds View Post
    I'd definitely be looking at an E-5 and the f/2 zooms.
    That's what I have, and they are a formidable combination.
    Thomas
    --
    E-5+HLD-4x2; E-1+SHLD-2; 8mm FE; 7-14; 11-22; 14-35; 35-100; 135-400; EC-14; EX-25; FL-50Rx2

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
    My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Zone6, if I read your post closely, it appears that you are saying you bought an E-5 (via a careless winning bid on E-Bay). If this is correct, it kind of gets lost in translation, I think.

If you have an E-5 now, I'd say sell the E-30. You won't get anything for the E-510 (i.e. better to keep it). The same might be true about the E-30 too, however. I mean, if you'll only get a few hundred, I'd keep it too. It's nice to have an extra body (or two!).
    Rich
    Olympus E-M10; Panasonic GM5
    m4/3 lenses: Oly 75-300; Oly 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R; Oly 17 f1.8; Oly 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R; Oly WCON-P01 adapter; Rokinon f7.5 fisheye; Sigma 19 f2.8; Pan 20 f1.7; Pan 12-35 f2.8; Pan 12-32

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Yeah, I did buy the E-5. (insert either happy or shocked smiley here) Sorry, I did manage to muddy that up in an attempt to sound clever. I had been watching here and there, and this one popped up, with about 6700 clicks. I'd been watching it, and threw a bid at it yesterday morning with maybe 10 hours to go. With all the late bidders and bidding apps, I never thought it would stick...but it did.

As to the other two, one of them will probaby go, and there's a little more to recover from the E-30. The 510 is lighter for toting on the bike, too. We'll see.

Got a message that the E-5 has already shipped! Should see it Monday or Tuesday.
    No, I don't miss film...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zone6 View Post
    Yeah, I did buy the E-5. (insert either happy or shocked smiley here) Sorry, I did manage to muddy that up in an attempt to sound clever. I had been watching here and there, and this one popped up, with about 6700 clicks. I'd been watching it, and threw a bid at it yesterday morning with maybe 10 hours to go. With all the late bidders and bidding apps, I never thought it would stick...but it did.

As to the other two, one of them will probaby go, and there's a little more to recover from the E-30. The 510 is lighter for toting on the bike, too. We'll see.

Got a message that the E-5 has already shipped! Should see it Monday or Tuesday.
    Do you ever plan on doing two-camera shoots? If so, keep the E-30 and dump the 510.

I had those two bodies and basically never used the 510, then began shooting outdoor sports with both, as I'd given up on lens-swapping. Soon found myself frustrated by the 510's tiny tunnel of a viewfinder and more importantly, was spending hours post-processing 510 shots that the E-30 handled easily (the infamous 510 highlight clipping). Ended up buying an E-5, which paired perfectly with the 30. I still have the 510 to give to my kid, once she's ready for the slr experience, but don't consider it part of my kit any longer.

The E-5 is humongous, but you're going to like what you get from it--super-clean, detailed shots.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_D View Post
    Do you ever plan on doing two-camera shoots? If so, keep the E-30 and dump the 510.

I had those two bodies and basically never used the 510, then began shooting outdoor sports with both, as I'd given up on lens-swapping. Soon found myself frustrated by the 510's tiny tunnel of a viewfinder and more importantly, was spending hours post-processing 510 shots that the E-30 handled easily (the infamous 510 highlight clipping). Ended up buying an E-5, which paired perfectly with the 30. I still have the 510 to give to my kid, once she's ready for the slr experience, but don't consider it part of my kit any longer.
    Two-camera shoots are unlikely, unless my needs change. The 510 was one of those "good idea" acquisitions, trading primarily on its small size, paired with the MKII lenses. That rig in a kit bag goes neatly in the topcase of the bike. I'm not at home right now, so I can't see whether the E-30 fits in the bag. No biggie. The idea of spending less processing time is attractive.

The E-5 is humongous, but you're going to like what you get from it--super-clean, detailed shots.
    That's what I'm looking forward to. My understanding is that the focusing is faster overall, and more accurate in low-light situations as well. True?
    No, I don't miss film...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by zone6 View Post
    That's what I'm looking forward to. My understanding is that the focusing is faster overall, and more accurate in low-light situations as well. True?
    Rather than the dramatic jump between the 510 and 30, the E-5 subtly improves on the E-30. What you will notice is in dim light, the viewfinder is brighter and more accurate so you'll see the focus plane quite clearly. In daylight I don't observe a difference between them.

Cheers,

Rick

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I doubt you'll wanna shoot with the E-510 after shooting with the E-5.

If you want a light camera for your bike, some of the older m4/3 cameras are going for a joke. I recently sold a used Panasonic GF1 for $90. An E-PL5 is also only about $250 used and has a sensor as good as the E-M1. Here's a dxomark comparison between an E-PL5/E-M1 and the E-510
    http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compa...___909_839_465

If you sell the E-510 for about $150 and the E-30 for about $400 you can put together a lightweight kit for one purpose, and have the E-5 for serious shooting engagements.
    Olympus E-M1 Mk II
    7.5mm f/2.0 - 12mm f/2.0 - 17mm f/1.2 - 17mm f/1.8 - 25mm f/1.8 - 45mm f/1.8 - 56mm f/1.4 - 9-18mm - 14-150mm II