Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Best slave?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    623
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

    Default Best slave?

    What do you think is the most dependable remote flash radio trigger? Price is not a consideration but non dedication to a particular camera brand is.

    So far it looks like Pocket Wizard is leading the pack!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,240
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Best slave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunn View Post
    What do you think is the most dependable remote flash radio trigger? Price is not a consideration but non dedication to a particular camera brand is.

    So far it looks like Pocket Wizard is leading the pack!
    Pocket Wizard is reputed to be the industry leader on industrial strength RF triggers, but they're expensive and my second-hand experience with someone who has them wasn't particularly wonderful.

    I use a set of Cactus V5 transceivers, available through http://www.GadgetInfinity.com, which are reasonably priced and have more than enough quality and features for me. They also make the correct shutter remote connecting cable for both Olympus E-1/E-3/E-5 and USB type models, so you can use them as a radio remote shutter release as well. (I have the cables for E-1, E-M1, and Sony A7 shutter releases). They're non-dedicated, just do a great job of triggering.

    I see on the website that there's now a V6 model as well. Don't know much about that one, but it's worth looking at.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saskatoon, Sask.
    Posts
    2,883
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

    Default Re: Best slave?

    I have used the less expensive RF-610 (?) from Gadget Infinity and then the V5's.

    Replaced them with Paul C Buff Cybersync's and haven't looked back....

    Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    623
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

    Default Re: Best slave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    I have used the less expensive RF-610 (?) from Gadget Infinity and then the V5's.

    Replaced them with Paul C Buff Cybersync's and haven't looked back....

    Cheers, Don
    Hi Don,

    I have two pair of Cybersyncs. I really like the form factor and the simplicity. The problem is inconsistantcy. This last Saturday night is a good example. I had a large high school class reunion to photograph so I set up two 400ws strobes for coverage. One of the strobes discharged off and on. Because of prior experience, I did LOTS of studio testing. All kinds of combinations......performance was perfect. I have been working with strobes and sync triggers since 1972 but this has me stymied!

    Ideas?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Central valley of Oahu
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default Re: Best slave?

    I gave this some thought a while back and decided I could not see my way clear to buy Pocket Wizards despite their following. I decided to use the Vello brand sold by B and H. So far I have had good experience with them. Company sells cables that permit variety of brands and connections. They are mid level priced and there are sales as well. I think you would find the triggers from Vello to be of good build and reliable as well. I do not give them heavy or professional use I hasten to add....... (Check the company web site for Vello to note the cable accessories that fit your particular camera or camera models as well.)
    Link to some info on the variety of offerings from this company. Best wishes:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saskatoon, Sask.
    Posts
    2,883
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

    Default Re: Best slave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunn View Post
    Hi Don,

    I have two pair of Cybersyncs. I really like the form factor and the simplicity. The problem is inconsistantcy. This last Saturday night is a good example. I had a large high school class reunion to photograph so I set up two 400ws strobes for coverage. One of the strobes discharged off and on. Because of prior experience, I did LOTS of studio testing. All kinds of combinations......performance was perfect. I have been working with strobes and sync triggers since 1972 but this has me stymied!

    Ideas?
    IIRC the one and only time I had a non fire I noticed I had the receiver's face turned Away from the transmitter/camera. In other words, the back of the receiver was facing the camera.

    See if that helps ?

    BTW - I use up to four strobes with one receiver. Even the built in slave Behind a 4' x 6' softbox across from the light with the receiver works fine. No need for more receivers....

    Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    623
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

    Default Re: Best slave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    IIRC the one and only time I had a non fire I noticed I had the receiver's face turned Away from the transmitter/camera. In other words, the back of the receiver was facing the camera.

    See if that helps ?

    BTW - I use up to four strobes with one receiver. Even the built in slave Behind a 4' x 6' softbox across from the light with the receiver works fine. No need for more receivers....

    Cheers, Don
    Hmmmmm! Positioning might be the problem. It seems today that everyone brings their camera AND flash to a gathering. Of course their flash trips your flash.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,240
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Best slave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    I have used the less expensive RF-610 (?) from Gadget Infinity and then the V5's.

    Replaced them with Paul C Buff Cybersync's and haven't looked back....
    Looks like an interesting system! Probably more than I need—the Cactus V system has worked fine for my (limited) purposes.

    G

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saskatoon, Sask.
    Posts
    2,883
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Real Name
    Don

    Default Re: Best slave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Looks like an interesting system! Probably more than I need—the Cactus V system has worked fine for my (limited) purposes.

    G
    Just don't drop them

    I was sitting changing settings and fumbled the unit, dropping it to the wood floor.

    The switch on the side popped off and the unit would only work in send mode after that, sigh...

    And be careful changing batteries, the tray is not very robust.

    Cheers, Don
    From E-510/E-30/E-3/E-5 to Nikon D7100 and now D7200/D800
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •